Author Topic: What did your LO's 3 month growth spurt look like?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
What did your LO's 3 month growth spurt look like?
« on: October 10, 2006, 11:37:21 am »
And when was it?
Connor is 14.5 weeks. For the past week, he has been waking b/n 3-4am, taking a SMALL feed (2-3 oz) then sleeping till 7:30 or 7:40. (It has been BLISSFUL!)  Yesterday, we are on a 3 hour EASY, and he feed every three hours, PLUS DF, (Total of about 33 oz, which is more than normal) THEN woke at 2:15. I let him be until about 2:45 or so which was when he started crying. He only took about 2.5-3 oz again. BUT, he woke earlier than normal today (started around 6:15 and I let him doze till 6:45) and took a full (almost- about 5oz) bottle.

He is on a 3 hour EASY, but has been battling 45 min naps.  I can usually extend one of those naps to an hour, TOPS.  Yesterday, while trying to extend one of the naps, he got REALLY upset, to the point that I thought he was in pain. (He wasn't).  Does this look like a growth spurt, or just one of those days with a baby (I hate that he's a moving target!)

Thx

Offline jacksmomns

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: What did your LO's 3 month growth spurt look like?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 11:47:02 am »
i'm also curious as to the growth spurt as i have one coming.  Wanting to see response to your post.  Hilary

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 20:18:01 pm »
My DD had her growth spurt at 12-13 weeks old.  The big thing that I noticed is that she also had a huge developmental spurt at the same time.  She all of a sudden went from a baby who wants to eat and sleep all the time to a baby who was interested in everything.  She also started extending her awake time to 1.5 hours.  Bedtime was difficult.  She had trouble falling asleep, probably due to all the changes that were going on, and had a bunch of night wakings for feeding.  This growth spurt seemed like it lasted forever, but I think it was more trying to change my EASY to her new awake time that took a while to get back into the swing of things.

Good luck to both of you on your growth spurts!
Meghan, Mommie to Baby Kaitlyn

Offline jacksmomns

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:00:35 pm »
so how long did it last? did she eventually stop the night wakings to eat? I'n nervous, and is there really another at 4mos? I thought they were around 3mos, and 6 mos.  How did you notice she could extend awake time? Does this make naps a little shorter now? Sorry for all the questions lol  but helps to know what happened for others.  Clarapist-do you think this is his 3month spurt-just coming a little later?

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 17:17:28 pm »
The growth spurt lasted only a couple days, but it took ME longer to adjust to her new wakeup times, maybe about a week.  She has only ever slept through the night a handful of times, she still typically wakes once at about 3am to feed, but during her growth spurt, she would wake to eat at 12am then around 4-5am... this lasted maybe three days, then she went back to the once a night feed.

There definitely is a 4 month growth spurt, DD just went through this one and I think she's finally back to normal, again we had to change her easy to accommodate her longer wakeup times.  She is now on a 4 hour EASY.

The way that I noticed that she could extend her awake times was that she would not fall asleep easily at the time I usually put her to sleep at.  So one day I waited until she gave me sleep signals, this was at 1.5 hours, when she usually would need to sleep at 1 hour.  Nap times for Kaitlyn have never very long.  She sleeps for an hour exactly for all her naps and no they didn't get shorter.  This has always thrown off our EASY during the day, but we have adjusted quite well, we never E right after she wakes except for in the mornings.  This is because she is now awake for 2 hours, then sleeps for one, but only eats every 3.5-4 hours, so we are on EASAEASAEASAES.  Not typical BW but it works great for us.

I think typically though, with an increase in A time, there is also an increase in the time that they can go in between feeds, so naps do not get shorter, a change in EASY is needed, theres a great thread on how to transition from 3 to 3.5 or 4 hour EASY.

Clarapist - It really does sound like it is a growth spurt, if he is battling 45 min naps, it might be an indication that he needs to change to a 3.5 hour EASY.  Good luck and let us know how things are going!

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 17:23:39 pm »
Here's a couple links that you might find useful

Transitioning to 3.5-4 hour EASY
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0

How to tackle growth spurts
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68057.0

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 19:25:34 pm »
Thanks Meghan  ;)
Lauren x

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:04 am »
Glad to help!