Author Topic: how much is too much?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
how much is too much?
« on: October 10, 2006, 13:11:39 pm »
hi
since dropping to 3 bottles a day dd has actually increased her milk intake- I know this can often happen. She is on 3 x 9oz bottles and is mostly draining each one. I know this usually means I should increase each one by 1 oz but my health visitor once said they only have little tummies and shouldn't really have more than 9oz in one go, this is why the bottles only go up to 9oz.
Is this still true at this age? She is a big girl (21.5lb, on 98th centile for length & 91st for weight!) so should I offer her more? I have been reading Lauren's posts about Calum drinking 17oz before bed  :o but I know he is older. Also she loves her solids and is getting on great with finger food and I don't want to spoil her appetite for that.
Would you suggest I make up a 9oz and say a 2oz bottle for each feed? Or perhaps just try firstly at bedtime so she has a full tummy for the night. She has been waking for her bottle earlier lately so I wonder if this is why? hmmmm....
any advice gratefully received!
kathryn
]

Offline calebs mommy

• Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
Re: how much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 14:36:43 pm »
I would think if she is still acting hungry, go ahead and give her a little more.  She won't drink it if she doesn't want it.  It wouldn't hurt to just offer and see what she does. 
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 18:50:20 pm »
Kathryn,

I would offer her more if she wants it.  She may take more, she may not.  It is worth a try.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 19:20:13 pm »
She is on 3 x 9oz bottles and is mostly draining each one. I know this usually means I should increase each one by 1 oz but my health visitor once said they only have little tummies and shouldn't really have more than 9oz in one go, this is why the bottles only go up to 9oz.

HV's

hee hee!! ;D  >:(

That would be why I have 10oz NUK bottles  ;)!!!    HV's if you are listening!! >:(

Kathryn - I agree with Paula, if your Lo drains a bottle increase it or top it up. They won't take anything they don't want anyway.

Trust your own instincts, HV's in my experience (not my opinion) are inconsistent with the information they give you.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 19:44:51 pm »
Trust your own instincts, HV's in my experience (not my opinion) are inconsistent with the information they give you.

Lauren
I agree totally with this, the amount of times I've been told conflicting info from different (or even the same) HV. Infact I took Dom to the clinic a couple of weeks ago in his car seat cos wasn't sure if he needed the next size up. The HV I spoke to said no he was fine for a bit longer but on the way out another HV stopped me to point out that Dominic was too big for that car seat and perhaps I should go get him the next size up...nuff said!
Sal
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 19:48:26 pm »
Oh yeah, and I also think top the bottle up, if her tummy was too full (like the HV said) then dd would just throw it up...x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07