Author Topic: Used to sleep through, now waking!!  (Read 1277 times)

Offline rudojen

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
Used to sleep through, now waking!!
« on: October 10, 2006, 14:02:51 pm »
How old is your child? 10 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? 3-3 1/2 usually EASA
What’s nap routine? He's usually up for 1.5-2 hours before needing a nap.  We read a story and rock to wind down.
How long are naps? 45 min-2 hrs.  Shorter naps in the am, longer in the pm. Wakes from last nap by 5:30 or 6.
What's bedtime routine? Time? Bath, last feed, wind down in his room.  He's sleeping in bed between 7-8pm.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle
How much? or how long? 23-28 oz/day.  I try to clusterfeed the last couple of feeds of the day but he generally won't have it. He's very good at not eating when he's not hungry.
How many wakes per night? 1-2.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Sometimes he's not even really awake - just moans and tosses about.  If I don't settle him (using the paci) he will fully wake and cry.  He sometimes settles within 10 minutes, sometimes he's up for 90+ minutes.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Mostly fussing, moaning, tossing & turning.
What have you tried to settle?? Using the paci, pat shh.  I rarely pick him up and rock him, but after an hour, it's hard to leave him there!
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  Varies day to day.  Tummy time, playing & talking with me, we go out and about at least once per day, bath time, etc.  Usually about an hour or a little more.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? I don't think so.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) No.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Paci
Do they have a lovie? No

Up until this past week, our ds was basically sleeping through the night.  He's always sleeping before 8, usually closer to 7 and I do a dreamfeed around 11 (or sometimes later when I sleep through my alarm  :().  Prior to this week he would "wake" around 3:30am - tossing and turning, moaning, etc.  Stick the paci in, problem solved, back to sleep til 6:30 or 7a.  Now, he's still waking like clockwork at 3:30, but he's fully waking, ready to play.  I've tried going in at the first sign of waking - to try and soothe him back to sleep before he wakes full-on, but he wakes anyways.  It's taking at least an hour, sometimes close to 2 hrs to get him back to sleep.  A couple nights he has woken up a couple of additional time, but he's gone back to sleep pretty easily with the paci and some shhing.  He generally does not need to eat at night and regularly goes a 7-8 hour stretch between dreamfeed and first feed of the morning.  Our doc says this is just fine. 

Last night I broke down and picked him up after about an hour of sticking the paci in every 2 minutes and patting/shhing.  I gave him 2oz of formula thinking maybe he really was hungry, but it was still another 45 minutes til he slept again.

I know I should feel lucky that he's such a good baby, but I was getting used to his routine - and liking it a lot!  Any advice?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Used to sleep through, now waking!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 21:14:26 pm »
Do you swaddle?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 21:45:07 pm »
Yes, always.

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:09:20 am »
Strike that.  Until 2 days ago we always swaddled.  Now he won't tolerate it.  When we wrap him, he freaks out and cries like he rarely does.  In fact, he's crying more now than he ever has.  He used to just moan and cry a little.  Now he's crying full board. 

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 15:51:08 pm »
Well, to be honest, 1-2 wakings a night for a 10 week old is normal - pretty good actually. It is rather unusual though that he doesn't need to eat at night but not impossible of course. Are you sure that he's not waking from hunger? His staying awake for long periods and then waking again will usually indicate hunger. But if you're 110% sure it's not hunger and he's waking at the same times (or very close) then you might try wake to sleep.

I would also suggest limiting his A time to 1.5 hours. 2 might be a bit long yet.
Jessica

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 18:47:12 pm »
Is hunger indicated if he's not crying?  When he wakes he's smiley and seems as if he wants to play.  He'll let out a few hollars to let us know he's awake, but he doesn't generally cry too much at this time.  He's becoming a lot more social in general.  When, on the rare occasion, he is crying when he wakes, I do feed him a few ounces. 

Last night he did not go down very well (also having trouble with napping lately...I think he's overtired), but once he went to sleep, he slept hard.  I did a DF at 11pm and then he slept til 5am.  Went back to sleep with the paci within 10 minutes.

I'll definitely try to limit the A time and see what happens.

Thank you for all your help!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 20:04:57 pm »
If he's not crying then I would assume it's not hunger then. My goodness are you lucky to not have a night feed!!  :o  :o  So yes I would try limiting the A time to more like 1.5 and see if that helps. Keep me posted!  :D
Jessica