Poll

??

????
0 (0%)
?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Blood in stool - lactose intolerance???  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Blood in stool - lactose intolerance???
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 16:08:38 pm »
Yes, Nutramigen is made from cow's milk, as is Alimentum. Only Neocate and Elecare are truly milk free (amino acid based). And yes, the streaks could be from the small amount of milk proteins in Nutramigen, which can build up over time and cause a delayed reaction.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Aiden'sMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 16:46:26 pm »
Hi there

Our son Aiden had the streaky blood in the stool at about 3 weeks as well - very scary.  He was on Alimentum immediately (i was battling to BF and he was on Similac) and his tummy seemed to resolve- it does take time and even sometimes now (probably only once every 2-3 months), there may be an odd streak of blood.  He has been on Alimentum for the past 3 months and tolerates very well - it took a while to transition from Alimentum to Nutramigen, but no real issues at all.  I have heard of women who eliminate milk products and the babies start to thrive - however, it will take a while to completely eliminate the milk proteins from your BMilk - hang in there.  It's not easy but know that you are doing the right thing for your LO and your LO will come right with some time.

Good luck

Claire

Offline Nad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 18:40:30 pm »
Do you think that I should change his formula if I continue to see the blood streaks every once and a while?

He doesn't seem in any discomfort as far as I can tell.  Is the nutramgien doing him harm???

Nadia

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 19:28:26 pm »
I would personally be very uncomfortable letting my DD continue with blood streaks - you don't want to cause GI bleeding or further allergy problems down the road. What has your doctor said?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Aiden'sMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 21:47:50 pm »
I agree with Marissasmom - it should be something that you discuss with your doctor - Come to think of it, the last time Aiden had a very small blood streak was about 3 months ago - he also had a bit of gastro - so most likely linked- i would have taken him to the doc immediately if there was any more.  i would consult a doctor you feel comfortable and confident with on the matter.....

Offline Nad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 13:41:27 pm »
I am going for his 4 month needle/check-up in 1 week, so I will definitely talk to my doctor about the blood streaks.

Thanks for all your input, it is very helpful.

Nadia