Author Topic: Long-haul flight with 10-month old  (Read 1480 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Long-haul flight with 10-month old
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:18:17 am »
In November I'm travelling from Canada to Sweden with dd. It will be the second time as we already went when she was 3.5 months, so I'm not a complete rookie.  But I have a feeling the experience will be completely different this time.  She was such a good traveller last time, slept lots, for hours on end, even in the Baby Bjorn.  Now I'm not so sure. I'm also wondering what people do for food, since she's obviously on solids.  Are there good snacks to bring that don't have to be kept cold? I make my own baby food, but I suppose I could bring store bought food for the trip.  Last time I didn't bring a stroller and just had her in the Bjorn - do people think a stroller might be a better idea now that she's bigger?  She doesn't sleep ever in the stroller any more, but I have a feeling she wouldn't sleep in the stroller either as she's forward facing, so too much exciting stuff to look at.  Anyway, any tips would be very welcome. Thanks, Maria

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Long-haul flight with 10-month old
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 14:29:04 pm »
Here's a link to a similar question (which has a link back to another similar question in it -- I really should sticky this thing, it gets asked on occassion -- with good reason!)

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68511.0

As far as snacks, we always swore by Gerber fruit puffs on planes (though they don't have them in Canada, do they?), cheerios, goldfish crackers, pretzels, dried fruit, things like that. 

Offline annette101

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 14:46:33 pm »
Hi Maria!
We are going to Sweden in December, but only from UK, so it's only 2.5 hrs flight.
I am taking a stroller with me. It's just easier... My boy is 18 months so he would just walk off. Plus if I strap him in a stroller I can put a bag on the stroller and have a bagpack. I feel it's easier to control the situation. Plus you can push her all the way to the plane.
You have got much longer flight, but I am taking milk and I will ask for some water. He needs to drink for the start and landing. I will also be taking rice cakes, toddler once, they are very practical and the mess is easy to clean.
I would probably take some half frozen food that you know she really likes. They have hot water in a plane so they can heat it up and it wont go bad.
Other than that I am taking a change of clothes for both him and me and some toys.
I am a bit worried about it but if he screams for 2.5hrs then he screams, but I will try to be prepared.

Annette

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 16:33:05 pm »
Annette - how do you find using a stroller in the airports, going through security, etc? I've heard some say that's it's actually more of a hassle, and by using the Bjorn you actually have more mobility. Any thoughts?  As for snacks, I don't believe we have the Gerber fruit puffs, but I'll check Walmart as they often have 'new' stuff.  What about boarding early versus late? I've heard differing opinions on this as well.  Some say, board early so you have that extra time to get settled (which is what we did last time), or board late, so that lo doesn't get bored sitting on the plane forever waiting for it to take off.  Thoughts?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 17:49:56 pm »
A lot depends on your stroller, we have a Maclaren one that folds up quite small, so it's not too big of a hassle.  Generally when you get to security, you have to take your LO out of the stroller, fold it up, put it through the metal detector, and carry your LO on.  Like the PP I thought it was great to have though just because I could hang my bag off of it.  I just did a flight a few weeks ago with my then 18mo where I had her in the stroller, hung the diaper bag and my purse off the stroller, and had to drag the car seat behind me (and was 35 weeks PG, what an experience!).

Anyway, I think a lot depends on how active your LO is as well.  If she's a more active sort, you might be better off with the stroller and if she's content to sit, the Bjorn might be better. 

As for boarding, it depends on whether or not you've got a seat for her.  If she's got a seat, I would board early to get her situated.  I had to strap DD's car seat into her seat on our last flight and needed all the time I could get to get her settled and in the seat.  If she's sitting on your lap I would board at the very end since you don't really need the time then and the less time spent sitting (esp on such a long flight), the better.

DD's been on four round trip flights already (though none longer than 4 hours) so let me know if you think of any other questions.

Offline annette101

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 18:39:20 pm »
Hi,
Last time I went on my own. The only problem I had with the stroller was that they asked me to fold it together on the way there. It was a bit of a challenge holding the baby. But I did have the baby bjorn so it went fine.
The people on the plane were very good, they gave me the stroller when I went off the plane, they opened it for me so it was good to go.
I don't know 10 months old, can you really hold her in the baby bjorn for that long? I don't know how big the airport is, but on Heathrow you have to walk for miles. Plus with all the security, it takes  forever.
See I took a quite late plane so hopefully he can sleep and I am hoping I can just lift him out and put him in the buggy. And I hope the plane will be half empty too.

They boarded me first last time we went. It was ok because I could unpack and prepare in peace. You know how peopla are, they behave like the plane will leave without them right this second. But my boy got a bit fed up waiting, he was only 6 months old then though.
If you are going on your own, you should call the airlines and tell them that you travelling with a baby and need assistence. They are very good like that and will get you person that will help you with everything.
I did that because at Heathrow I have got my husband helping me, but in Stockholm I have to take the suitcase, the stroller, and the car seat out to my parents somehow.

Annette

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 02:35:25 am »
Thank you all for your helpful tips and thoughts.

Last time she was 3.5 months old and no problem at all at any point. I found the air crew and other passengers all very helpful and while the stop over at Frankfurt was almost 3 hours, she slept in the Bjorn the whole time. Lucky me!  So I did have a great experience travelling with her, I just think her being older will present totally different challenges.

I don't have a seat reserved for her, so I'll be holding her for part of the trip - I'm also getting a bulk head seat so they'll put up the basinette for her to sleep in, so that will take a load off. She's usually great sleeping just about anywhere, so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.  I think you're right though, that boarding towards the end will actually be better, that way she can crawl off some energy in the departure lounge.

Our stop over is again about 3 hours in Frankfurt, so that will be tough I think.  I haven't had her in the Bjorn for about 2 months, so I'm not sure how she'll be it now. I should do a trial, go for a long walk or something and see how she does.  I'm really not worried about the flight itself, more so the transfer/stop over. 

Another question, has any one heard if you can rent carseats at Avis or Hertz? My parents don't have a car seat and all my friends back home need theirs. I guess I could bring ours, but what a hassle it will be to install it once we arrive at Arlanda!

Offline annette101

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 11:14:42 am »
I had mine with me last time. I think your daughter should still fit in it ih she is 10 months old.
It's one of those Britax once that are easy to fit.
I will find out if my friend still has it. If she does your parents can pick it up in Stockholm and it will save you taking something half way across the globe
Annette