Author Topic: Pain when walking after meningitis vaccination  (Read 1130 times)

Offline mollymoocat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Pain when walking after meningitis vaccination
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:30:02 am »
I'm not sure if I am posting in the right place or not but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same symptoms.

My 21 month daughter had her vaccination yesterday morning.   She cried a little bit but was OK afterwards.  But in the afternoon she kept repeating the work 'hurts' to me so I gave her some Calpol.  I thought it wasn't that bad because she wasn't crying but then I noticed she was walking very carefully and when I touched her thigh she cried in pain.  There was no noticable redness or swelling where she had the vacination but she was very uncomfortable and didn't want to put any weight on her leg etc.  and was continuously complaingin of the pain, she was very clingy and sorrowful.  I gave her more meds at bedtime for the pain but she didn't have a temperature or rash or anything.  She slept well during the night.

This morning she was still complaining of pain,  she was walking around but not like normal and she has gone to nursery OK.  I gave her childrens ibuprofen this morning instead thinking it would be better for her if there is some inflamation causing the pain, the nursery will ring me if they are concerned.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this side effect.  I've looked up this vaccination and there is no mention of it, just saying there could be some redness, pain and swelling at the site of the injection but nothing about the extent of pain and discomfort my daughter is suffering.  Should I contact my GP or wait to see if she gets better.  Her spirits are quite normal the rest of the time, its only when she notices the pain she is a little sad and cries when her leg is touched.
Janet

Offline Tamara

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
Re: Pain when walking after meningitis vaccination
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:25:17 am »
I work as a practice nurse so am familiar with vaccs in children, so this is my take on it

What I'd do is just keep an eye on her, but don't mention it again to her - children of this age can 'act' on sympathies if you know what I mean?  I don't mean she's making it up, but don't remind her about it and see how she goes  ;)

From what you say - it sounds like she's improved by today, keep up with the calpol/calprofen, but I don't think you should be overly concerned.

Have you ever had a tetanus injection?  Remeber how stiff your arm can be after that.  A lot of people often reprt their arem hurts even ater things like hep A, hep b or even typhoid.

If you have any more concerns please post back - but I'm sure she'll be fine