Author Topic: What am I doing wrong???  (Read 1117 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
What am I doing wrong???
« on: November 01, 2006, 22:02:44 pm »
My LO is 10 months old. He's always been a fabulous sleeper, and we never even saw night wakings until he was probably 5 months old. I attributed them at that time to teething, and they eventually disappeared by 7 months.

He's now 10 months, and the last 2 months of sleep have been awful again! Again, I thought it was teething at first - he got 4 at once. But now they are all in, and though the sleep got better for a week after the last tooth came in, it's awful again now. He woke with a fever yesterday, has runny nose so I'm taking him in to make sure it's not an ear infection. But I also want to make sure it's not a routine issue.

Owen was doing fabulously with 3 hours of awake time between naps at 7 months, but while teething really cut back on awake time. He always gets super tired when teething. It seems like we're working back up to 3 hours. Naps are great - but bedtime is a mystery! I feel like if I could ONLY figure out when to put him down for the night, then the night wakings would stop. He always goes to sleep quickly and easily and on his own. We've eliminated the bouncing/walking prop we had at 5 months, thank goodness! However, he is now waking up anywhere from 5-6 hours after going down and staying awake for 1-2 hours.  :o DH and I are going CRAZY!!!

How old is your child? 10 months
What’s his/her daily routine? Awake 7, bottle 7:30, solids 8:30; Bottle 12:00, solids 1:00; Solids 5, bottle 6
What’s nap routine? first nap 10-11:30; 2nd nap 2:30-4:00;
How long are naps? never more than 3.5 hours in day, usually closer to 3 (the morning nap is becoming closer to an hour lately)
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, bottle, story, bed
Do you bottle or breastfed?? bottle
How much? or how long?  three 8 oz. bottles
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) n/a
How many wakes per night? 1-2
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? 1-2 hours. After the initial crying is over, he's usually smiley and giggly - almost manic.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying, then chats to himself. Will leave him alone for up to 30 minutes, until crying starts again.
What have you tried to settle?? shush/pat in crib, replace paci, pat tummy, tell him "night-night time" (this works for naps or early morning wakings), last resort take him out of the crib and feed (we just dropped a bottle, so i've been worried it's possibly hunger)
What do you do for A time and how long is it? Usually 2.5-3 hours
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? just finished getting 4 teeth 2 weeks ago; is learning to pull up to stand, is beginning to crawl
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) no cereal b/c he has bad reaction to it.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? paci, but not really a prop b/c once it falls out for the night, we rarely replace (except lately with night wakings)
Do they have a lovie? He has 2.

Any ideas? I have found that if I put him to bed with 2.5 hours (or less) awake time after last nap, there seems to be less disrupted sleep at night.  But that seems awful short for this age. I definitely know that 3.75 hours is too much - resulted in overtired bub bouncing off walls and had trouble staying asleep.

Any advice welcome!

ETA: After reading some other night waking posts, I feel I should add that Owen has reflux, and our doctor started encouraging us to cut back on his medicine (Prevacid) at around 6 months. We tried, and didn't have any success until around 7.5-8 months when it seemed he was doing fine without it. However, now thinking about it, it DOES seem like these night wakings are coinciding with dropping the Prevacid. However, I don't really see any signs of reflux. He's not arching his back or crying hysterically. It's more like he wakes because he's either overtired and not sleeping well, or undertired due to too much daytime sleep or not enough time between nap and bedtime.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 23:28:40 pm by becky1969 »
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: What am I doing wrong???
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 23:53:47 pm »
Hiya Becky,

Sorry to hear that things have been rough! I'm willing to be that he's waking from being overtired. If you give him a few days to catch up on sleep, napping longer maybe, I think you can get back on track. And if the 2.5 A time is working, then go with it. Developmentally he's got a lot going on so if things get a little screwy that's ok! Plus with teething, things can get pretty un-fun sometimes. Make sure that he gets lots of time to practice things like the crawling attempts during the day, and that should help.

I do wonder if maybe the paci has become a prop? Does he know how to put it back in himself?

Being the mother of a refluxer myself, I would suggest that you consider get him back on the meds. Even if you're not seeing the signs, you did recognize a coincidence in the timing. It could be worth talking to the doc at any rate.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:27:14 am »
Thank you! I feel ridiculous dx it as overtiredness when it's only 2.5 hours at 10 months! But that's really what it seems like to me. But, I've been thinking a lot about what different boy he is now than he was 3 months ago. He was always such a little 'rock' - not moving much, just happy to sit and observe. He didn't even roll over until he was 7 months old! But now he's EVERYWHERE - crawling (although it's army style!), trying to stand up all the time, working at walking, etc. He's just on the go all the time, I imagine it wears a little guy out!

So, the fact that our A time is going backwards a bit is normal given all that, right?

Just saw the doc (actually, nurse practitioner as my doctor is out on maternity leave) today for possible ear infection b/c he was running a bit of a fever yesterday, has runny nose, and is crying when we lay him down flat. She said his throat is a bit red. Owen's always had silent reflux, so it makes me wonder. She said to wait to go back on the Prevacid until we can ferret out a bit more what is going on with him, and just treat his symptoms of pain with Motrin and the ear drops they gave us. But it's definitely worth looking in to. I thought we were beyond the reflux b/c he wasn't showing his usual signs of pain: arching back, etc. but the NP reminded me that as they get older they have other ways to express their discomfort. I do know that the only times in Owen's life in the past when he had poor sleep were either due to reflux or bad intestinal gas. Perhaps that's the culprit now too!

Thank you for your input! I'll post back here once things work out again in case someone else has similar issues!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:29:26 am »
Definitely let me know how it goes! That phase can be really hard on sleeping, and to some degree it needs to be waited out. That's not to say that there aren't ways to make it better, but I think it's easier if you understand what's happening and accept it, KWIM?
Jessica

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 18:59:17 pm »
Yes - knowledge is power! LOL!

Last night was awful, but he's clearly sick. Can barely breathe he's so stuffed up. I got him propped well enough with a wedge that he got a good 4 hours in without waking, and then just a brief waking to get resettled in a comfortable position. Hoping tonight he'll be less stuffy and we'll see how it goes.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 19:00:29 pm »
Oh no, I'm so sorry! My DS just got over the most terrible cold. I hope yours isn't getting the same thing. I even had to sleep with him in a living room recliner one night so that he could be somewhat upright to drain.
Jessica