Author Topic: Mobiles/Activity Gym for 3 month old  (Read 886 times)

Offline AspenEliz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Thornton Matthew born Aug 16, 2006
Mobiles/Activity Gym for 3 month old
« on: November 01, 2006, 23:24:06 pm »
My son is 11 weeks and I have a question about mobiles and activity gyms.  I've noticed he gets really intense with the things above him... flailing his arms and legs and getting really worked up.  He only lasts about 10 minutes under the mobile or gym and then it's more of a panicky cry.  However, when he's on the bed just staring at the ceiling/wall and holding a rattle, he's calmer and fine for 20 minutes before he gets more of a fussy/bored wimper.

I'm just wondering if it seems like the mobile and mats are a little too stimulating for him and if it's a bit early for him to be playing on them?  Do I retry in a week or two?  Is there a "typical" time to start those?  And am I just reading the excitement as too much for him?  I don't want to overstimulate him, but I do want to expose him to other, more independent things!

Thanks.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Mobiles/Activity Gym for 3 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:08:28 am »
They could definitely be too stimulating for him - I would try again in a few weeks.  If you can, you can also remove some of the toys, I know I did that with my LO's play mat when I first started putting her under it so she wouldn't get too overstimulated.  Sounds like you're doing great reading his cues though!