Author Topic: A toddler and a Christmas tree--help!  (Read 3759 times)

Offline ks6

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
« on: November 02, 2006, 21:06:30 pm »
This may be a silly question, but how does one display a Christmas tree with a toddler around?  How did you do it?  Any ideas--only a few weeks until we put one up.  ::) :P

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
Re: A toddler and a Christmas tree--help!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 21:19:31 pm »
Kim,

I have been thinking the same thing, and now we have a puppy to deal with too  :o

Would love to hear everyone's views.  Been thinking about putting it on top of a table, but it is still in reach  :-\
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 21:21:13 pm »
Someone on here gave the most AWESOME tip, sorry I can't give them props cause I can't remember who!! ::)

Put the Christmas tree up, and if there is any way to "block" it into a corner or something with a baby gate, or whatever, do it.
But if the tree has to be out, then we used the awesome tip the last 2 years, and it worked like a charm!  Now, I don't know why, cause it doesn't work for other things in the house! ::)

Awesome tip:  Don't try to keep your toddler from touching the tree...it's too much temptation!  Of COURSE they'll want to touch it...it's all bright, and shiny and pretty!! :)  Teach them to touch with just one finger at a time!!  That way, chances that they'll break anything or hurt themselves are soooo much slimmer!  They get what they "need" by touching, and you're not constantly saying "no!".
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 21:26:50 pm »
Hmmm, what about if they want to touch it all the time?

My DS has to touch everything and anything.  Even when we ignore him he still goes over to touch things  :-\

Offline Tonya

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 21:43:56 pm »
But that's actually the whole point!  Trust me, my son is the most spirited child I have ever met...and this technique does NOT work for normal items...don't know if it's just cause it's only out for a short period of time or what.

But he can touch it whenever he wants, as many times as he wants, as long as he is only touching with one finger!

Also, be realistic about what you hang on your tree, of course.  The moto we have at our house is that there is NOTHING that is put out in reach that would break my heart if it got broken.  Kids will be kids, and you'd be setting yourself up for heartbreak if you put personal and special items on the tree or on display where they can break.
Tonya

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 21:47:09 pm »
Tonya,

Definitely sounds like it is worth a try.

Thanks
Paula x

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 21:51:07 pm »
I'd say let him touch as much as he likes. Just take the precautions that it's well-anchored so he can't pull it down, and all the breakable ornaments are out of reach. Why can't he get involved in something so special? One tip I got was to let him help put it up - he might (I stress "might" ;)) get all the touching excitement out of his system whilst putting it up (and so lessening the need to have to keep re-hanging stuff).

Of COURSE they'll want to touch it...it's all bright, and shiny and pretty!! :) 

That's why I can't help myself - if there's one in the room, I have to go over and touch it. Mmmmmmmm, shinies..................... :D
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 02:39:09 am »
I like the one-finger idea.  I think Dave might go for the "be nice" approach--he knows which flowers in the garden he has to "be nice" with--why not the Christmas tree?  Thanks Tonya, it just might work.

The scary thing for me is all those darn ornament hooks--they always get lost on the floor.  I guess the ones within toddler reach will have to be hung with ribbon.  Can't wait to tie all those!  :P

Offline Tonya

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 13:43:43 pm »
Yep, we use the ribbon for all the ornaments he can touch too  :)

Tonya

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 13:49:30 pm »
Harry NEVER EVER went near the tree, just doesn't seem fussed by it at all.  We never had to move him away.  He loves to help hang the decorations but that's as far as it goes.  Somehow I think this year will be different...
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Tonya

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 13:57:40 pm »
Yeah, as in you're gonna have too many babies at once to be pulling away?? ;) :P

"Harry, don't touch the tree"...."Sam, be nice!"...."Lydia, that does NOT go in your mouth!"

;D ;D ;D :-*
Tonya

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 14:03:37 pm »
Tonya, are you in my house?!?!?  ::) :P
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 14:26:17 pm »
Someone on here gave the most AWESOME tip, sorry I can't give them props cause I can't remember who!! ::)

Put the Christmas tree up, and if there is any way to "block" it into a corner or something with a baby gate, or whatever, do it.
But if the tree has to be out, then we used the awesome tip the last 2 years, and it worked like a charm!  Now, I don't know why, cause it doesn't work for other things in the house! ::)

That might have been me.  I can't remember.  But that is exactly what we did the first 2 years.  I used one of the baby play yards that you can configure (Superyard, I think).  I put the tree against a wall or in a corner and put the play yard around it. It let John be close enough to look at it but not close enough to pull it over.  It was also an easy way to protect the tree when he was around, and then take the play yard away so we could enjoy it when he was in bed or had company.

The past 2 years I have given him his own ornaments to put on the tree and touch.  they have been simple unbreakable things.  He gets to put them where he can reach them.  And he can touch them when ever he wants.  They are tied with a different color ribbon than the rest of the ornaments. That helps us all remember which ones are his.  He would rearrange them several times a day.  But he felt a sense of independance and belonging to the holiday.  It didn't become a month of things he couldn't touch.

I also decided to get a Playmobil Nativity instead of a real nice one.  Same reason...john can handle it and play with it, and we can tell the story.  And I don't have to worry that it will get broken.  He has his own Advent calendar too.  One that hangs on teh door and he adds a fekt ornament to a felt tree each day.

I think this year I might put a small tree in the playroom and let him decorate it with paperchains and handmade ornaments.  My mother used to do that.  We would put all the things we made at school and girl scouts on it.  I thought it was something for us kids, but now I realize it was just to keep her Christmas tree looking pretty without all the kid junk on it. 

I really love the Christmas season and want John to feel like he is a part of it....more than just Santa (which we talk about but dont emphasize).  But I try to keep his involvement relative to his developmental stage and maturity level.  There is so much about Christmas, but he doesn't have to experience it all in one year. He can grow into new experiences each year. I think this year we wil add a tree lighting ceremony or a Christmas parade to our activities for him.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline Tonya

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 14:39:14 pm »
Quote (selected)
Tonya, are you in my house?!?!?   

I can ONLY imagine what it's like!!!! :o   :P :-*
Tonya

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 19:38:05 pm »
Dh and I have also been stressing out about our Christmas tree this year (DS will be 19 months then).  Thanks to all the advice.  I think we will definitely try the "1 finger" and "Gentle" approach. 

Hopefully that will work, especially since the "Gentle' approach is not working with DS hitting me.  (But that is another thread)  :-\ :-\
Judy