Author Topic: 14 month old waking frequently for short periods WHY?  (Read 897 times)

Offline cazza92

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
14 month old waking frequently for short periods WHY?
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:55:24 am »
Hello my daughter is 14 months old and over the past two months she has started to wake for short periods overnight. Normally she just chats to her toys but recently she has started to cry. We leave her for a short while and most of the time she goes back to sleep. Occationally if she carrys on crying we go in to her and give her a cuddle and some painkillers.

This as well as being a early riser means i don't get very much sleep as i wake up as soon as she makes a noise even though she is in her own room!

Last nigt she woke at 02.30 hrs and 4.30 hrs and settled back to sleep then wake at 5.30 wanting to start the day.

Our routine is
5-6am wakes up and has a small bottle of milk
7.30 Breakfast and water
10  snack
12 lunch
12.30 Sleep for two hours
snack and drink when awake
5pm dinner
6.15 milk
6.30 bath
7.00 stories and any milk left from before and then bed!

She settles well at night and seems tired so why is she unsettled towards the morning?
Any help or just reasurance that yes they do this but eventually it improves would be great!!! many thanks

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: 14 month old waking frequently for short periods WHY?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 15:17:50 pm »
A few things: the second half of the night is a period of lighter sleep and more REM sleep, so your dd may just be dreaming--she may not be fully awake if she calls out then falls asleep quickly.  She may also be teething, have the beginnings of a cold or ear infection which is not too troublesome for most of the time but may be enough to bother her during that part of the night.  Finally, has there been a change in her routine: a different nap or bedtime, wakeup time, nap length?  Her routine may need a bit of tweaking if there have been changes.  How long has she been on one nap?

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 18:46:25 pm »
On my experience, it has to do mostly with teething given her age and if there are no sickness symptoms. Try and offer her some pain meds just before bed and see if that makes her sleep deeper and for longer periods. Teeth pain is a big factor that makes the second half of the night to be a lighter phase sleep period hence the early mornings and multiple wakings. Other than that, keep at what you're doing (brief comforting, only going in if she's crying out for you) and this phase will be over soon.HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline cazza92

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 20:25:37 pm »
thanks for the help.inormally dose her up with painkillers. it may be teething i just wish they wouldcome through! she has been on one nap for a month to two months but occationally has a brief nap in themorning i the car if we are out.

Thanks again

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 21:30:09 pm »
I don't think it's a schedule issue, her naps seems fine and she has consistantly been doing it. Unfortunately teeth (specially molars) can take up to 2 months to be out for good. TOugh times for mommies I know. Sending you big hugs!!!! and sleep vibes!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake