Author Topic: 23 month old napping troubles and waking troubles  (Read 795 times)

Offline tigerlily0302

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
23 month old napping troubles and waking troubles
« on: November 07, 2006, 21:49:37 pm »
About 4 or 5 months ago, I had finally gotten my son on an actual schedule that seemed to be working! He was sleeping 12 hours at night and napping at least 2 hours, sometimes as much as 3, and waking pretty happily....a huge change for him!

However, in the past 6 weeks he has slowly reverted.  Now his naps have become less than 1 hour long, and he wakes up (in the morning and after nap) crying, without fail.  He never wakes up happy. Waking from naps are the worst because he seems to go from a dead sleep to SCREAMING his head off....even on the very rare instance that he might hit the hour and a half mark, he still wakes up screaming.  What does this mean? Why can't I get him to get a decent nap in? Any advice? I've been contemplating moving him to a regular bed to see if it would help, but would hate for that to backfire.

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: 23 month old napping troubles and waking troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 22:00:05 pm »
Aw lovey - that sounds stressful for you xx

Can you please let us know how old your LO is now and give us a picture of what your day looks like.. and also if your LO is going through any milestones.. such as starting to walk... teething etc..

That way we can have a look more closely and see if we can help xxx

Helen xx

Offline tigerlily0302

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 23:57:34 pm »
He'll be 2 next month. The only thing that I know of for sure as far as any developmental things is that he has been starting to talk a lot more.

Over the summer the schedule that he kind of settled on that was working great (even though I was a fan of an earlier bedtime, this seemed to be what he naturally gravitated toward):
8:30/9:00 am  Wake up
12:45/1:00 pm Nap
3:00 pm  wake up (sometimes would sleep as late as 4)
8:30/9:00 pm bedtime

This is what his schedule is like now:
7:00 am wake up (sometimes he'll sleep closer to 7:30, about once a week 8)
1:00 pm nap  (it seems if I try putting him down earlier it doesn't seem to lengthen his nap anyway)
2:00 pm up (crying always, sometimes he'll stay down till 2:30)
7:00 pm bedtime

I moved his bedtime earlier because he has started getting up earlier and earlier and wasn't napping well.

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 18:25:10 pm »
In my own case, every time ds wakes up crying means he's not rest enough. It never fails for us but each lo is different. Given your ds's age his schedule seems pretty fine to me and if he's not waking at night, i doubt he's overtired.

However it's been a big change from about 4 hrs A time on his past schedule to 6 hours in the current one. Even tough you mention that bringing the nap forward is not heloping him sleep longer it might contribute to help him go down easier. I'm thinking he might be a bit overtired when he goes down for his nap. Maybe putting him down at 12:30/45 might make a change.

On some ocassions, teething is a big disturbance. He's in the right age to teeth his 2 year molars. Might be worth a shot to offer some tylenol before each nap and bedtime and see if that helps.

I don't think moving him to a toddler bed will help at all. In fact, it is likely that the change will contribute to more wakings and more stress on his side. Unless he's umconfortable in his bed (which i doubt cause he sleeps a full 12 hour stretch on it) or you need the crib for a coming sibling, I'd suggest you to wait for the toddler bed transition until you have this napping issue figured out.

Along with this and taking advantage on his talking skills, talk to him about this. Try and make him tell you what's wrong, why is he crying. LEt him know that even if he wakes it's ok and nothing's going to happen to him. Buy a special teddy/stuffed animal that "takes care" of him while he's alone in his room. Verbalizing things at this age is extremely important, naming his emotions. Just ask and double ask until you get an answer (you might be suprised to find out that he might be cold, scared, confused... whatever).I'm thinking more of a developmental/conductual thing than a sleep issue cause on average, he's sleeping a good amount given his age.

Hope some of this give you a hint and if i was no help LOL let me know and we'll think of something else. Good luck and hugs!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline tigerlily0302

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 19:13:00 pm »
Hi Thanks for the tips. Maybe I will try 12:30 nap for a few days and see how it goes.  I am just so frustrated with how he wakes up screaming every time. I did give him tylenol before his nap today, but again he woke up SCREAMING and crying. I tried going in to talk to him, but I just don't think he was understanding anything I was saying. I'm just at such a loss. I just wish he would wake up pleasently.