Author Topic: short naps & EASY  (Read 725 times)

Offline pastorT

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
short naps & EASY
« on: November 08, 2006, 17:56:23 pm »
Okay, I'm unsure about how to handle short naps when it comes to EASY.  My lo is 14 wks.  We've sort of been on EASY since birth.  However, it's been thrown off by eating issues (he has reflux and when meds are off he would sometimes struggle to take a full feed and so we'd have to go back to a 2.5 EASY b/c he'd be hungry sooner).  Anyway, what's really thrown us off for awhile is short naps.  He is a 45/50 min napper.  Now occasionally he'll throw in a long nap (just to let me know he can do it) but for the most part it's 45 min.  I've tried W2S and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  The problem is, he's pretty textbook when it comes to his awake time.  Right now we're up to 1.5 hours, but that's when he gets fussy and so we go to his room, swaddle, cuddle and listen to 1 or 2 lullabyes and he's drowsy and I can lay him in his crib still awake and he goes to sleep.  But when he wakes up we're just at 2.5.  So I wait 30 minute to feed, but then he's still tired at 1.5 awake.  I put him down for a nap but when he wakes it's only been 2hrs since his last feed...and so on.

Any suggestions?  Do I just keep working on extending naps?  I've tried shh pat and other things to get him back to sleep, but they've never worked.  He's approaching the 4 month mark and even though I think he could handle 4 hours btwn feeding (and would probably feed better) I don't know if his A and S time will jive with it.
Thanks for any insight.

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: short naps & EASY
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 18:44:08 pm »
Hiya! whats he like when he wakes early from a nap? If he's calm, lave him he may learn to go back to sleep on his own. Its great that u have taught him to sleep independently, well done! Could u post ur routine so we can take a look? Thanx

Offline pastorT

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:13:52 am »
He usually wakes up with some chirp/yelps that escalate into a cry.  He has had times where he has made noises and then put himself back to sleep.   But he just isn't consistent.  It may sound strange, but I think he WANTS to go back to sleep, but just has a hard time doing it, even with help.  Maybe I need to try going in before he's fully awake to help him, but that has backfired when I've tried before.  He sees me and can't understand why I'm not getting him out of bed. 

Our routine is a bit random I must admit.  The following is probably a best case scenario:
He wakes (or I wake him if necessary) between 7 and 7:15 and bfs
S--830/845
Wake--930ish
Eat--10, A
S--11/1115
Wake--noon (try to get back to sleep...sometimes end up just holding/rocking to stay calm)
Eat--1
A--this A time is a little rough; if he got back to sleep the time before he can usually last until 230, but it's touch and go and is sometime fussy and tired by 1:45
S--230
Wake--320...very cranky
Eat--4 (if we can hold off until then)
Catnap--5:30 (30-40) min...I wake him
Eat--6:30
Bath (every other night)--7:20
E (top him off)--7:45
S -- 8/8:15 (bf until full and drowsy and then put down)
Night is variable.  We don't df.  Tried it, but it made me more tired to stay up until 1030 or 11 then to get up twice in the night.  He's been pretty consistent for the longest time.  Wakes at 130/2; bf, diaper change (necessary) goes right back to sleep (30 min total); wakes btwn 430/530; bf and back to sleep.  Trying to elimate second feeding and hope first one gets a little later.  Last night he made it until 3:30 and then to 7 and that was great!

Overall, I think he's doing well.  Feeds have been our biggest struggle b/c of the reflux.  I also think that's why he wakes sometimes.  I have a feeling when his stomach is empty it hurts more.  I'm pretty laid back about the whole thing (am trying to be very disciplined about same morning wake and going to bed times though).  But I'd love any suggestions.  Thanks!

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:05:49 am »
have u thought of moving ur LO to a 4hr EASY? Just a thought. Re: naps, if hes waking consistently after a certain amount of time for example 45 mins then U could try w2s for extending naps, here is a link
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64168.0

I would also make his bedtime a bit earlier TBH, maybe more like 7.30