Author Topic: how do I handle bedtime?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: how do I handle bedtime?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 00:02:38 am »
Jennifer, I'm thinking if he is getting up at 8am & having a nap, going to bed at 8 or 8.30pm is expecting a fair bit of sleep... at 2-3 yo the average is 12-13 hours total. So he is 2.5yo then 12.5 hours is about what you'd expect... so roughly 11 at night & 1.5 in the day. I know we found around the 2.5 yo mark that we needed a later bedtime if we wanted Aiden to keep napping KWIM

I know from your other post that you are having eating problems... can I say I'd be thinking about ditching the bottle esp at breakfast & giving him food (milkshake or smoothy? to start)... we went through a stage when Aiden didn't eat breakfast & to be honest he was a "brat"... lots of research points to a good breakfast making a huge difference to children's behaviour in school etc & milk really just isn't enough & maybe that "wrong food" is making it hard for him to have the energy.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline joaquinsmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
    • La Familia Flores Lemus
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 18:09:53 pm »
Thanks Kate!

That's really interesting about breakfast. I had been giving him a bottle as soon as he woke up, but the other day I offered some cereal instead and he was happy with that. I just have to get some more healthy breakfast stuff now and maybe that will have a good effect on both problems.

The sleeping thing has gotten a million times better in a short time!!! I was so afraid of trying wi/wo and now I regret not trying it before. It's been maybe 5 nights now since the last time I spent hours in his room. It wasn't even that bad. I have gotten a kind of routine going: I give both kids a bath, then take them to ds' room and get clothes on both of them and give them a bottle if they want it. Then I take dd to her room and give ds a book to read while I'm in there. Dd has been falling asleep pretty easily lately, although she does wake up a cople of times after ds is asleep. So then I go back to ds' room, we read a book, I turn off the lights, we say a prayer and then I tell him I have to go wash his bottles and I will be back. He always asks me to leave the door open, so I just make sure the lights in the hallway are turned off too and then walk out. He usually calls me a couple of times and I go over there and kiss him and tell him I'll be in the other room and will be back in a while and he ends up falling asleep on his own. Last night he did get up a couple of times asking to go to the bathroom but when I put him back in his room he didn't even ask me to stay anymore. He just hugged a little felt penguin that my sister gave him, and a little batman figure that my brother gave him and closed his eyes while I left. This is nothing short of a miracle. Seriously. I am so grateful for this. One step closer to a saner, non screaming mom!!! :)

Thank you all for your advice, hopefully this will continue getting better.
Jennifer

Mom to Mario Joaquí­n
Born on 6/5/04

And Daniella

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 18:17:06 pm »
Oh Jennifer, that is fantastic news!!  Give yourself a big pat on the back! 
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 17:45:41 pm »
I knew you could do this!!!!!! this is great news, just keep at the good job, cause some setbacks are to be expected but if you handle them as great as you've been doing, you're off to a wonderful road!!!!

Huge huge congrats, I know how good you must feel so far! and big rewards to Joaquin who's been a champ too!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 21:31:04 pm »
Well done Jennifer, I think our fear of them being really upset & things getting worse often seems to be a bigger stumbling block than the problem.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline joaquinsmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
    • La Familia Flores Lemus
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 18:26:09 pm »
Thanks for the words of encouragement!
I went out with some friends last night and dh stayed with the kids. I was out until 1:30 A.M  :o  (I was allowed out of my cage for 1 night...  ;D ) and dh said ds had just fallen asleep  :o  :o  So I'm kind of expecting trouble tonight but we'll see. I'm not going to stress about it.

Thanks again!
Jennifer

Mom to Mario Joaquí­n
Born on 6/5/04

And Daniella

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 18:37:26 pm »
Hey Jennifer you're my hero, you have 2 kids under three, work full time, study AND have time and energy to go out with your friends!!!!!!!!!! I need a friend like you nearer me!!!! Good luck tonight!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake