Author Topic: Advice on re-usable nappies  (Read 2743 times)

Offline SallyDom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Advice on re-usable nappies
« on: November 09, 2006, 20:24:49 pm »
Hi guys,

I am writing to ask for some advice on using real nappies. I have bought 10 terries and 5 Tots Bots Fluffles and tried them today for the first time. Dominic is 7 months old now and I aren't really sure why I wanted to try real nappies, it just seemed a good idea when I bought them!

I tried a terry nappy first (used a fold from 'The Nappy Lady' website, especially for boys) and after about 3 hours Dom got quite whingy and when I checked his nappy it was completely soaked through and his skin felt so clammy. I put on a Fluffle next and after 2 hours his trousers were wet. Dom drinks 4 x 8oz bottles during the day but I wouldn't have said he was a particularly heavy wetter, I don't think his disposable nappies have ever leaked wee during the day before.

Is is usual for a 7 month old to need a booster inside their nappies all the time?

As I said I am totally new to real nappies but have spent quite a lot of money so far and really want them to work - I am in danger of having a husband telling me 'I told you so'!!!

Any advice is much appreciated

Sally
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: Advice on re-usable nappies
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:51:32 am »
I'm using fluffles with my 2 who are 16 months old. I have been using them for well over a year with very little trouble.
We have the odd leak but that's usually down to DH not tucking the nappy inside the wrap properly.  What wrap do you use?  Does it fit properly?

The skin will feel clammy because the wee isn't being drawn away from the body by the chemicals in the nappy.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 09:48:46 am »
Just a thought, i know with some, most, nappies you need to wash them several times before they reach their full absorbency.  Could be a factor.  I also second the wrap idea.  i can use the same nappy with two differnt wraps and one stays dry for 4 hours the other leaks in about 2!!
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:40:43 am »
I use Motherease but it is normal for me to check and/or change Sophie every 3 hours unless there are some very obvious smells! Never had a problem with them leaking. Her skin is clammy when wet but doesn't suffer at all. We clean it with water and give her a few nappiless moments to let the skin dry naturally before putting another one on.

I have heard that it can take a few days for the babies skin to get used to reuseable nappies because the pH of the skin's environment is different with disposable/reuseables.

Good luck, I swear by reuseables now.

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)

Offline Maeve

• Showing Appreciation 92
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 22:01:00 pm »
I have both terries and fluffles and I never got 3 hours out of a terry, although a wool wrap improves things. And the fluffle is better but not a whole pile. I think the ordinary tots bots are much more absorbant, but less comfy.
And I think cloth leaks less than disposable, especially with a smaller baby.
Maeve, mother to:
Con, full of fun (22nd may 2004)
Cathal "I'll do it" (9th february 2006) and
Sophie 'so far so good' (31st august 2007).

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 22:25:47 pm »
I was at work today so kept him in disposables but will try again tommorow. I've got 2 Nature Baby's wraps and have ordered another 2 from the Nappy Lady but aren't sure which type (I went to a baby fair and ordered 4 nappies and 2 wraps and don't even know what types
I got for definate d'oh!)

So yesterday he was in a Nature Baby wrap, large size (he's just not too far 22lb) is it ok to use the wrap for the whole day as long as it doesn't have poo on it?

The terry's suggested washing at least twice before using which I did but maybe they'll get better and better. I'll try again tomorrow and change him after a couple of hours and hopefully it'll be better. Guess I'm used to disposables that can never seem to leak wee or leave him wet. I do want to get the hang of real nappy's though, guess it will take a bit of perserverance.

Do you recommend putting a terry pad inside the terry or Fluffle for extra absorbance?

Thanks
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline Bryony's mum

• Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 23:02:05 pm »
We use terry Totsbots and have never had a problem with leaks.  Ds is not a particularly heavy wetter, and he can spend significantly more than 3 hours in a nappy with no leak.  :-[  The only times I had leaks with dd were when I was trying out nappies.  I didn't realise that you had to make sure that there was no way at all for the nappy inside to touch the clothes outside - any bits sticking out will mean that the wee soaks into the clothes, no matter what wrap you are using.  We use Motherease air flow wraps and I love them  You don't even have to do them up particularly tightly, as long as the nappy is well covered.
Alisa

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/5/549575.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/5/581192.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/8/895623.png[/img]

[img width= height=]https://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/r/rf67x89kd.png[/img]]

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb

Offline home alone

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 23:28:13 pm »
I use cloth for my 14mth old.  I used them when she was born then quit around 4mth-9mth and started again.  I also started taking her to the potty (as recommended by tracy) around that time.  I check her nappy all the time to see if they are wet unless she's napping.  I change them as soon as they are wet.  I wanted her to know the difference btwn wet & dry.  Also, she does get reddish around her anus (my dr said it's due to constant moisture from the diaper).  I double up the prefolds during napping or add couple of boosters.
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline woopster

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 10:25:39 am »
I don't use an extra pad in the nappy, and I use the same wrap all day too!  It's fine.
That's all folks!

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 10:41:12 am »
I may have just had a revelation! Is the idea to keep an idea of when they have a wee so you get to know their pattern which would make it easier to potty train?
Does a baby generally have a wee (for e.g.) an hour after they've had a bottle or is it pretty much random and they do it whenever?
I put Dom in a terry this morning and changed it 2 hours later before he had a nap and it was wet but not soaked completely like before.
I got my other 4 nappies today. There's 2 Fluffles, 2 Bumbles and 2 Motherease wraps.
Am I meant to pre-wash these like I was the terry's. If so that would be why the Fluffle was such a disaster on Thursday!
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline woopster

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:32:37 am »
I did wash my fluffles before I used them, and I find the more they are washed the more absorbant they become.  They do thin out after a time, but that hasn't reduced the absorbency.
That's all folks!

Offline Maeve

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 20:05:55 pm »
I did wash my fluffles before I used them, and I find the more they are washed the more absorbant they become.  They do thin out after a time, but that hasn't reduced the absorbency.
Kind of justifies the expensive washing machine using cloth nappies!!
I agree about the tots bots terries, I had bought ordinary terries and a few other types first so I keep the tots bots for night, but they are the best I have used, although the fluffles are comfier. I put fleece liners under the flushable liners to make the terries softer (I line dry).
ABsorbacny isn't an issue for me sadly, it's not usually wetness that has me changing IYKWIM.
Maeve, mother to:

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 20:35:22 pm »
Things have been going quite well. Dom was in terries all day yesterday and today and it was fine. I'm not as quick at changing him as I was disposables but I suppose that'll come. I am a lot more conscious of how long since the last nappy change but it's just made me realise that I probably never changed him nearly as much as I should have.

I'm not feeling quite upto an overnighter yet but I'm sure it'll come! I've got loads of disposables left anyway so can use them up. Is one Fluffle enough for overnight? Do you need to use a terry pad in the as well?

I put fleece liners under the flushable liners to make the terries softer (I line dry).

I'm glad you suggested that, I've got both liners but it seems such a shame when he poo's on the fleece ones!

Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it. 
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline Bryony's mum

• Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 21:05:55 pm »
Not sure how fluffles perform at night, as we use the terry ones, but it might just depend on your ds.  My dd had a booster in overnight right from when she was 5 mths old, and i think there might have been times when she had two boosters in.  My ds, however, (who admittedly has only been in cloth since 21 months) does not have a booster as he simply doesn't get as wet.  I just have to remember to change him reasonably soon after getting him up in the morning (i.e. after the first hour or so!  :-[ )
Alisa

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/5/549575.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/5/581192.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/8/895623.png[/img]

[img width= height=]https://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/r/rf67x89kd.png[/img]]

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb

Offline Maeve

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 21:09:57 pm »
I don't find fluffles enough for overnight, although you could pad fold an ordinary terry to boost it, I suppose. A wool wrap adds a bit too.
Maeve, mother to:

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 21:46:05 pm »
My ds is a super heavy wetter. He is in Motherease and some Little Lambs. He has a nappy with built in booster, plus a terry booster then liner during the day, and a super/extra/ maxi hemp booster at night.

I would give a big thumbs up to Motherease airflow wraps - they are the best.

My ds had a clammy bottom until i bought some fleece liners. They are so cheap (£3 for 6 on ebay, or make them yourself!) and they do an AMAZING job! They wick away all the moisture from his skin so it feel totally dry. In fact he can be wearing a nappy that is soaked, and yet if i press down on the liner it is dry to the touch. Amazing!!
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline home alone

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 17:24:34 pm »
SallyDom, about the wee pattern & time, you are on the right track.  I still miss a lot of cues but she always has her poo on the potty and I catch her pees a lot.  It's also fun bonding time too.  I really like that we don't waste so much on disposable.  I still use them for daycare, over night & long trips.
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 19:34:29 pm »
she always has her poo on the potty and I catch her pees a lot. 

I know it's a bit of a gross question but do you see your dd straining or do you just know when she usually poo's? Dom often goes quiet and then his whole face scrunches up and he goes bright red as he's straining. I've thought about quickly sitting him on a potty when he starts but I didn't know if it would put him off me suddenly grabbing him and whipping his pants off...I wouldn't know when he was weeing though (except when he hasn't got one on and it goes all over the floor or me!)
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline home alone

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 00:58:36 am »
Sallydom, you are on the right track!! That's how I started.  Also, right after nap/sleep they go right away.  She poos+pees as soon as she wakes up.  I also started sign language at the same time as potty.  This really helps.  Also, i have lots of toys & books in a basket beside the potty so, she can relax.  What I learn from EC(elimination communication) is that it's all about teaching them to relax.  My lo signs for potty or after she peed in her nappy.  I heard it also helps to make sh sh sound to associate going to potty with sound.
I think it's great to start early( when they can sit) for them & US!!!
monica