Author Topic: Feeding in the night  (Read 1635 times)

Offline kez1sophie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Cute Sophie
Feeding in the night
« on: November 09, 2006, 22:00:51 pm »
My little girl is 2 in December - she wakes at 12am and 3am and 530am for milk 90% of nights. The times vary - she drinks the full 8oz. She won't go back down without having it she has bath, bottle bed starting at 630pm is down by 7pm. in the last 2 weeks has started to get up shouting mommy rock me!!!!!!!! which i have then done - any ideas why she is doing that. and how do i stop the feeds. Its a complete nightmare now. Please someone help me!

What amount of food should a 2 year old eat she eats ace some days and not one mouthfull others. Uh!!!!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Feeding in the night
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 03:51:26 am »
I think by 2 the night feeds should be non existent. By this point she should be well established into solids. If she is taking that much milk at night she can't eat enough during the day.
Its time to get rid of the bottles and give more solids. 3 meals and 2 snacks, or even 3 meals and snacking during the day to make up those calories. Best bet is probably cold turkey. It'll be really hard for about a week, but she'll start eating more during the day and PU/PD or WI/WO will help with teaching her to sleep without the bottle at night.
Kimberly

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 04:00:12 am »
like kimberly said, i'm not sure this is a sleep issue.  i'm going to move your post to the bottle feeding board if you don't mind.  they may have suggestions on weaning those night bottles. 

melissa

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 13:26:16 pm »
The gentle way to get rid of the night bottles is to dilute milk with water progressively, ie if you give 200 ml, go for 180 ml milk + 20 water for 3 days then 160/40 for the next three days, etc until the content is mostly water and your LO may lose interest in it. At the same time, the lack of food at night should generate an interest in solids during the day

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 18:11:23 pm »
one other place you can go to is the sleeping for toddlers board.  the mods there are great about helping you with any sleep issues that may remain after these ladies help with the night feedings.
melissa

Offline christie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 19:44:43 pm »
We had this problem with our toddler and have finally got her sleeping through the night without anything by the time she was three.  We had trouble getting her to bed in the first place.  She was not waking always in the night for milk - sometimes it was a sandwich and just sometimes for a chat or a cuddle but we were exhausted.  When she was taking the food/milk in the night she would hardly eat anything in the day and it became a vicious circle.  I feel it really wasn't a hunger issue - because she was getting attention in the night, she got used to this. We had a baby 5 months ago and couldn't handle it any longer so we took some advice and went cold turkey.  It worked within 3 days - she was sleeping through the night without our help, but we followed a programme that took us a month to complete.  It felt quite harsh to start, but it was not at all painful and it is the best thing we ever did.  She now goes to bed at 6.45pm [it used to beabout 9pm] and sleeps through to between 6.30/8am every morning.  If she does wake in the night, we just go trhough, tuck her back in and she goes off to sleep [most of the time!!].

If you'd like to know exactly how we did it, I can fill you in.

Cx

Offline kez1sophie

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Cute Sophie
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 20:10:43 pm »
I'm taking all advice in, really pleased with the responses can you fill me in on how Christie, i would really appreciate it.

She is a terrible eater has again tonight looked at her tea and said finished and pushed her plate away, it was only jacket potato with cheese and beans and some chicken you wud think i was trying to feed her dog food she don't even try it. But its apparent that once i stop the feeds at night her appitite will be better in the day.

I need to do it when im not going to work the next day, maybe over the xmas period when i get 2 weeks off. then if i don't to sleep its not so bad.
like kimberly said, i'm not sure this is a sleep issue.  i'm going to move your post to the bottle feeding board if you don't mind.  they may have suggestions on weaning those night bottles. 

melissa
No i didn't mind i was unsure which to put it on thank you.

Quote from: charliebunny - I may try your way first i do feel a little cruel going cold turkey however if it don;t work i will have to go cold turkey

[/quote

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 20:19:24 pm »
That sounds like the perfict time to star :)
Once your ready come on by and we'll all be here to help you through.
Kimberly