Author Topic: Various questions!  (Read 2315 times)

Offline sl60

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 11, 2006, 19:40:32 pm »
I'm night weaning my 15 mo dd. She has previously nursed A LOT at night (my periods have not yet restarted). She does not drink much milk, nor does she like cheese much. I have not been worried about calcium up to now because of the nursing. But now that night weaning seems to be working (knock on wood) I wonder what to do. I do give her yogurt once a day and try to sneak parmesan in where possible and milk mixed with oatmeal or wherever I can, but....

Other question- am I nuts to give her whole blueberries? She does not have molars yet, but loves them- biting them in two with her incisors.  What about other small things like raisins?  I do give her Cheerios, but usually softened in milk.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Various questions!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 21:17:52 pm »
Hi Sienna... my DS is 15 months old and he has milk with his cereal in the morning (oatmeal or weetabix) and had yoghurt and sometimes cheese r cheese spread.. with his meals and then has an 8oz bottle before bed at night.. I think I worked out that he has about 16oz milk and some yoghurt a day and he is absolutely fine. It sounds as though what you are giving your LO is fine but if you want to try to get more milk into her you could see if she likes milky puddings like rice pudding or semolina or occasionally custard. I also make milk jelly for william sometimes and he loves that.

No you are not totally mad offering your LO whole blueberries.. if she can handle eating them whole safely then by all means go ahead but don't leave her unattended. I give William grapes but I do cut them in half to reduct the choking hazard - he also has no molars yet. Try giving her the cheerios crunchy they are great.. and toast is another favourite. He loves the baby fingerfood crisps we can buy here in the UK and also small slices of ham.

Sounds to me as though you are doing great with your LO xxxx

H xxx

Offline sl60

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 15:00:44 pm »
What in the world is MILK JELLY? Can you post a recipe?

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 20:17:21 pm »
Hehe milk jelly .. you make a normal jelly (jello in the US?) up with milk as well as water... I'll see if I can fine a recipe...

Another thought.. cauliflower cheese, macaroni cheese or veg in cheese sauce.. another great way of getting more milk into a LO xxx

H xx

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 20:20:04 pm »
Never heard of milk jelly in my life either. It's not a big dessert over here either

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 20:21:28 pm »
Milk Jelly

Ingredients
1/2 packet Jelly crystals

4 tablespoons boiling Water

1/2 cup Milk

Method
Put jelly crystals into small sauce pan with water, heat until dissolved. Allow to cool. Add cold milk and pour into small glasses, refrigerate until set.

Or I use the block of cubes of jelly we commonly get here and replace most of the water with milk when I make it..

H x

Offline sl60

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 20:23:49 pm »
Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, though I'm american I live in italy - where they don't have jello! I've got to use sheet gelatin (strangely called "fish glue") - which I haven't ever tried. Which brings me to another question: Can a baby eat something made with Agar Agar? I know it's made from seaweed- so was thinking about iodine...?

binxyboo

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 20:24:33 pm »
Does Woo eat a lot of desserts? I am trying to think of new things to feed, been through all the posts on the toddler and solids boards, to get new ideas.

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 20:33:11 pm »
Michelle, William does have some form of dessert after his lunch and evening meal, I am careful that he gets one kind of milky pud and one fruit based pud each day so things remain balanced. I am also very careful that he doesnt have many puds that are high in sugar..

Often has;
Yoghurt
Fromage Frais
Rice Pudding
fruit puree
fresh fruit (apple, strawberry, grapes, raspberry)

Occasionally has
custard
jelly
milk jelly
pancakes chopped up in fruit sauce

Hope these help...

Sienna.. we have a few members living in Italy... look out for Yaya and Mcruari..
I'm sorry I don't know about agar.. but will have a browse and see if i can find any info xxx

H xx

binxyboo

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 20:47:08 pm »
You are so far ahead of us food wise. The yoghurt or fruit puree would often be the main part of the meal for him kwim?

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 20:59:40 pm »
Michelle.. would it help you if I shared what I feed Will?? Just in case it helps here we go...

Breakfast
2 weetabix or oatibix mixed with 8oz milk

Lunch
Either;
Sandwich.. ham/chicken/cheese/cheese spread.. Cheese pieces, baby finger food puffs.. (carrot or sweetcorn puffs made for babies with low fat/salt etc)
Or
Vegetable based meal..
Milk based pudding.. (yoghurt etc)

Snack
Rice cakes/ apple/ biscuit..

Dinner
Vegetable/ pasta / rice and meat based meal
Fruit based pudding..

He drinks water and milk throughout the day as he wants it from a sippy  and has a bottle of milk (8oz) before bed.

He's a good eater and although he is big he is not overweight so I think I am meeting his needs about right..

H xx

binxyboo

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 21:01:48 pm »
That helps a lot. Sorry to have hijacked this post! Can I ask one more question, kinda silly....how do you make and serve his sandwiches?

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 21:22:56 pm »
2 slices of bread.. mainly quite thinly sliced.. if using meat I use a tiny bit of butter and  put thin slices of meat.. he likes ham or turkey or chicken.. in between them. If its cheese I use a small bit of cheese spread.. or just give him cheese spread sandwiches..

He is not keen on the crusts so I cut the crusts off and cut the sandwich into small bite sized pieces so he can pick one up and pop it into his mouth. He often takes them apart but eats all the parts .. think he just likes to play with his food first lol.. He is learning to use a fork at the moment so these tiny sandwhiches are ideal for him to stab with his fork and pop in his mouth lol xx

H x

binxyboo

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 21:27:57 pm »
Thank you so much, Helen!

Sienna, I will be back later and will concentrate on your question instead of taking over your thread! We nightnursed until just over a year too!

Offline sl60

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 20:29:54 pm »
No problem. Glad to read your questions as well. It seems my once great eater is now getting picky.

binxyboo

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 20:52:23 pm »
Hi Sienna,

Riley nursed until he was 14 months old. I did start to wean at 11 months as I was going back to work. Even though he comes to work with me, it was not going to be possible to lie down and nurse with him whenever. So I pumped for those feeds which he accepted okay after refusing all cups/bottles since he was a few weeks old. He also was a reverse cycle feeder when he got older and more interested in the world around him, so he took in a lot of his nutrition at night. I started to night wean at around 13 months, and now at 15 months he has no night feeds at all. It took a while to get there. In the end I would only nurse for one night waking, and resettle for the rest. I got strict about this as soon as he was taking about 16 ounces during the day.

What does your lo drink during the day? Are you still nursing then? Riley cannot tolerate whole milk, so he drinks calcium and vitamin D enriched rice milk. While he doesn't eat a lot quantity wise, luckily quality wise we are doing good. His fave foods are fruits and vegetables. He can also tolerate yoghurt so that gets in some extra calcium, protein etc.

Have you seen the threads for moms of picky eaters. There are also lots of ideas for foods to try in the "What did your toddler eat today?" thread.

If you are still nursing during the day and lo is getting yoghurt etc, it would seem enough. HTH a little

Offline sl60

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 19:55:34 pm »
Hello Binxyboo, Marina is still nursing during the day. But curiously (i had thought the opposite might happen) she is not asking very much since we started night weaning. We're now on day 5. She went to sleep on her own without me picking her up or rubbing her back and without any crying! I don't really want to wean her completely now, but am afraid she may not be asking enough. Maybe I'll have to pump. But that's another forum.  She was a REALLY good eater  since I started her on cereals at 6 months (she was "asking"). She grabbed the spoon and started feeding herself. I introduced foods very slowly and simply and she ate everything.  She still likes a lot of fruits and vegetables, but on a rotating basis now. It's hard to know if it's a banana day or a kiwi day.  She doesn't like citrus however. She basically drinks water. And my milk. Sometimes she drinks milk. Perhaps I should try rice milk. She does usually (today no) eat yogurt. I try to add parmesan cheese wherever I can as it has a lot of calcium.  Anyway I'm hoping it's just a phase. She's abviously growing as I just bought her new shoes today as she went from a euro size 21 to 23 (!) in 2 1/2 months.

binxyboo

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 20:08:49 pm »
Well, sounds like she is thriving anyway! How many times a day is she nursing now? The picky eating does seem to be common at least. I hang out on the picky eaters thread!

binxyboo

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 04:01:41 am »
Just wondering how Marina is doing?