Author Topic: Help! Trying to transition to an EASTY routine...  (Read 823 times)

Offline Kristen 2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! Trying to transition to an EASTY routine...
« on: November 12, 2006, 15:15:39 pm »
Hi!  I am very new to this, but we figured we'd give it a shot.  My husband and I have a 5 1/2 week old and an 18 month old.  Jillian (18th months) was adopted from China in July.  She has adjusted incredibly well and is on a great routine.  But......Olivia (our infant) isn't on much of a routine at all.  From what I read in the book, we were doing a lot of things wrong that in turn were leading to the development of bad habits.  Basically, Olivia will eat and fall asleep at the end of her bottle, sometimes before she is finished and there is no waking her up then.  Once asleep we were putting her in the Papasan and she would sleep for a good bit, until hungry again.  She didn't like the bassinet, but she is actually napping in it now, so that might be a good thing.  We know we need to get her into her own crib in her own room.  Needless to say, we are losing our minds without a schedule and without SLEEP!

So...these are our questions:

1.  Any suggestions on how to transition to EASY and what it should look like?  We are sort of trying it today, but are most definitely flying by the seats of our pants.

2.  Because Olivia has become accustomed to falling asleep in our arms, we need to break that habit and get her used to going down without that help.  Or...we find that she starts crying and we can't get her calm enough to fall asleep.  If she has been fed, changed and had some activity time, what do we do when she should be going down and isn't because she is so upset?  (Not sure if I am asking this question clearly.)

3.  At this age, what do you do for "activity" and how long should it last?  What's hard for us is that unless Olivia is sleeping or eating, she seems to really fuss.  (She doesn't like to just sit/lie down and look around.  She will lie on her belly for short bit and I sometimes put her on her back to interact with her that way.  But...I wouldn't necessarily classify her as grumpy or touchy based on the descriptions in the book.)
So...once again, we are sort of at a loss.

Anyway...I babbled on and on.....the bottom line is that we are really looking for help on how to transition into the EASY and if anyone has insight as to how long that transition might take. 

Oh..just thought of one other question...what to do if the baby falls asleep before finishing her bottle, because inevitably, wouldn't she wake up earlier and hungry again?

Thanks to sleep deprivation I am not sure if I asked any of my questions clearly and thoroughly, but if you have any input for us that would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Kristen

Offline SweetAsHoney

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Ari and Esti
Re: Help! Trying to transition to an EASTY routine...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 20:34:13 pm »
I can hear from your post how tired you are. I hope things brighten up. I am no expert but I hope I can help from some of my own experiences.
We did EASY since birth and found it hard to be very consistent until my LO was about 6 weeks old. No matter what happened though, we would always try to start the day off right. I also found that keeping a log for a few days really helped me to know what to expect.
To help Olivia go to sleep, you should definitely try swaddling her and usually I sing my little guy a lullaby and we cuddle for a bit and then put him in his crib with his paci. Some days it went well and other days if he was crying we used pt/sh. For my LO the wind down is very important, if I ever try to rush it, it will inevitably take me longer.
Activity was not much. He would look around, maybe stare at a toy. In the morning between the feed, diaper change, and getting dressed usually activity time as over! I just tried to keep it simple so he wouldn't get overstimulated.
If you are following EASY then she shouldn't be falling asleep while feeding, because she has just woken up from a good nap.
I hope you are able to make an EASY transition. Good Luck!
Anna

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 21:15:28 pm »
Hi Kirsten,

Here are a few links to help you get started:-

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62100.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63243.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63534.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65842.0

With regards to the amount of A time - I would limit this to just a nappy change and perhaps a lullaby, before swaddling and getting ready to go to sleep.

Also if your lo is falling asleep at a feed, I would try winding inbetween to try and keep her awake.

HTH

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 22:33:25 pm »
Kirsten,

How are things going?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007