Author Topic: throwing up fruit  (Read 1883 times)

Offline ErinGP

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 13, 2006, 02:50:09 am »
My ds is 11 months old and has recently seemed to develop an intolerance for fruit. Processed fruit is OK, but anytime we give him slices of apples, pears or grapes he throws everything up an hour or two later. We tried bananas and blueberries today and they seemed OK, but it was very small amounts. This has only started in the past month or so, until then he loved fruit and had it at almost every meal, and since he won't eat much from a spoon it's usually been raw. I have read a little bit about fructose intolerance, but it seems like that always involves diarrhea, which my son hasn't had. We are seeing a pediatrician because his weight gain has slowed (this was before the throwing up started). At over 10 months he was still only 16 pounds. He has been on a high fat/high calorie diet to see if it helps, but I don't think he's really gaining any weight. We are seeing the dr. again next week, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Combined with the fact that he's gained hardly any weight since he was 4 months old, I'm afraid it could be something serious.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: throwing up fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 18:26:45 pm »
I'm not sure about the fruit issue but with weight gain issues they often check for wheat intolerance/celiac - have you spoken with your doctor about that?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: throwing up fruit
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:48:08 am »
My son is 15 mos old.  He does not throw up fruit, but it comes out whole in his diaper.  I was wondering about the Fructose Intolerance myself because he does have diaherra. 

I am also in the same boat with you about the weight gain.  My sons weight has gone down on the curve since 8 mos. old. 

They are testing him for Celiac Disease, Food Allergys, a lot of stuff. 

Let your doctor know your concerns and be firm.  A mother ALWAYS knows best.

I should have our test results back this week and I will let you know.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline ErinGP

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 19:16:17 pm »
Isn't it so scary? We saw the dr. last week and Aidan hadn't really gained any weight. He's done a lot of bloodwork, we should get the results at our appointment in a couple of weeks. He's doing a sweat test for cystic fibrosis on January 3rd...I don't know how I'm going to wait that long. Statistically it's not very likely, but it's the illness that his symptoms match up with the most. He actually continued to throw up after we stopped giving him fruit, so I guess that wasn't the problem. It doesn't seem to be an allergy and his symptoms aren't consistent with Celiac disease. I just want to find out what's wrong so we can treat it...it's so hard not knowing.