Author Topic: 10m old Opera singing  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
10m old Opera singing
« on: November 13, 2006, 19:59:07 pm »
Hi there.

My Owen (10m) who knows how to sleep indep (since 5m) keeps singing opera at various times through the night.  It's lovely, don't get me wrong but... I am not sure what to do.  He isn't even awake while he does this.  I hear him on the monitor, I swear it sounds like singing, "ahhh ahhhh ahhhh ohhhh ohhhh".  I let him do it, I mean he isn't crying at all.  After 20m I go in, he is on his knees with his forehead on the mattress, and singing.  His eyes are closed.  I put him off his knees, cover him and leave and I don't hear from him until he does it again or until 6am.  It's never the same time of night.  Its once or twice a night.

Also, since the dam time change (we had prepared for it by moving the routine up an hour over a week - that all went to pot b/c he got sick the weekend of the change) he has been waking at 6am instead of 7am regardless of what I do with day sleep or bedtime.

So, any ideas?  Should I turn the monitor off and let him sing til he is done singing?  I am sure I could hear him if he cried for real - but DH isn't comfy with not having the monitor off.  Could this be developmental?  He just started getting on to all fours and crawling instead of army crawling - and he is going from his knees to standing all the time now, which is also new.  Maybe thats why he is on his knees at night?  Why is he singing, why isn't he awake?  Not that I want him awake, but its odd!

Any ideas how to get him back to sleeping til 7am?  It's not that big of a deal really cause I am a SAHM but... you know 7am is nice!

6am wake
7am 8oz
8am breaskfast
930/10am nap 1.5h-2h

12p lunch
2pm snack
330pm nap 45m-1h (I wake the man up)

5pm supper
630pm 8oz
730pm bed

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any ideas besides broadway!

Zoe
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 00:27:24 am by Zoey™ »

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 10m old Opera singing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 21:39:27 pm »
LOL Zoey, I love your little O-diggity. And you too!  :-*

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely a developmental thing and will pass. Colin often sort of chants in his sleep too when he's got something going on.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:23:44 am »
LOL Zoey want another one ;D

OK so DD did this when she was Owens age, she grew out of it. Mostly... she still does it the odd time. The best thing I can suggest is that you ignore it and it'll stop eventually.
Kimberly

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:50:27 pm »
Thanks my sexy sleep mods! ;D ;D

Last night he didn't perform Phantom of the Opera - but he did wake at 530 thinking it was a swell time to start the day!  There is definately something going on with this little man - I guess we will have to just wait it out.  I don't think a 10-10.5h night is enough for him, I don't know though I just don't know. :-\

Love,
Zoey

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:53:57 pm »
Zoey I'm thinking of 2 possibilities

1) Teething
2) time to transition to 1 nap (or at least less daytime sleep)
Kimberly

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 14:13:10 pm »
He is teething on and off, the pedi said his molars are "migrating".  He has 8 teeth already and hasn't done this with any of those really.  I don't see any signs of teeth actually about the pop through, but I am sure they are sore regardless.  I took him in to see if we had an ear infection or anything of that nature last Monday.

He is getting about 2h30m-2h45m for day sleep, so less then that?

Thanks!
Zoe

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 19:41:14 pm »
I do agree, turn the monitor off.
When is your LO's nap? maybe try shifting it so its mid-day?
Also has he learned something new lately that he might be trying to practice or something?
Kimberly

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 19:47:24 pm »
Yes, 5 steps along the couch today as a matter of fact.  Aww and it's his 10 month day today! 

Today I did his first nap from 9a to 10a and woke him.  Second nap 230p and I'll see how long he goes eh?  What time would I do one nap and for how long if I were to try that?

Thanks so much gals.
Zoey

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 21:49:33 pm »
We did 11am to start and with time its moved to 12:30pm. We have always given her lunch before hand so she wouldn't be starving when she woke.
Kimberly

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 01:26:47 am »
Hey Zoey ;D

Mine does this as well.  And I can hear him just fine without a monitor ::).  As long as he is happy there isnt much you can do about it except tweak your A time and the times and length of your naps

Good luck

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 02:30:27 am »
zoey - sometimes i wish i was at your house.  i don't know if it's your, the cheerleader, view on things, but it sounds like a sitcom over there.
melissa

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 20:37:06 pm »
Oh yes and it is probably too early for one nap but we just made the switch one week ago and B sleeps for at least 2 hours.  Right and we do it at 1 because that is the middle of the day for us as he is up at 8am

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 15:35:21 pm »
Well, he started singing at 530am, I turned the monitor down and didn't go in.  He never moved to crying and he fell back to sleep and was still sleeping at 7am.  Yesterday I flipped the naps, 1h in the AM, 1.5h in the PM and bed at 715ish.  Trying again today, hopefully this is the cure lol.

Thanks gals, I sure love ya!
Zoey

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 16:49:28 pm »
We sure love you too!  :-*
Jessica

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 16:50:53 pm »
Good job ;D.  Lets hope you cracked it ;D

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
Hey Zoey and other fabulous mods,

Seems that Grace is doing the same thing, but instead of opera singing, it's more like moan/low scream.  When I go in, she is not awake, I usually reposition (as she is up on knees or cramed against bars), give paci, cover with blanket and leave.  I think that I need to stop giving paci, before it becomes a prop (again!).  Once she was even on her knees holding onto the bars but still asleep.  Last night she woke about 4-5 times, I think she is teething also, but no signs of teeth yet (she is due for her top middle two).  She also woke at 5:15am today ready to start the day.

Has switching the naps worked?  Maybe I will try that.  Not sure what else to do, but I am only getting 1.5-2 hrs sleep in a row, and it's starting to take it's toll (so tired today, and have an exam on Tues)

Any other ideas?

Many Thanks,
Jaime
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 12:27:38 pm »
I should also add, that our schedule is pretty much identical to yours... if that helps any ???
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 17:11:19 pm »
since owen is a little older than grace, do you think she could be overtired?  and that's causing her to wake a lot at night and early?  owen may be able to stay up a bit longer than grace.  i noticed with my LO, even 15 minutes mean overtired addison. 
melissa

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 19:14:12 pm »
My Owen is also doing a similar thing! The other morning, around 5 am, I could hear him sort of making this trips up and down the scale. I thought he was awake and practicing using his voice (he's been singing scales during the day too). But he was sort of in the position you describe: face planted in the mattress, on his knees, little hiney in the air. But sound asleep! I readjusted him, and he just slept for another 2.5 hours. Weird! He's also taken to having nightmares too where he'll wake SOBBING, but he's not truly awake, you go in, settle him, and he just rolls over and falls asleep. I have to wonder if it's something to do with REM/non-REM, and they have their dreams a little closer to the surface - almost like sleep talking? - but since they don't talk, they sing!

Last night Owen slept thru the night for the first time in ages, and I'm wondering if it was b/c he took a short AM nap instead of a long one. He's taking a 1.5 hour AM nap right now, so we'll see if that changes his night sleep today.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 19:43:01 pm »
Hey Becky!

Yeah I am not sure what all the singing is about LOL.  The early wakings have been cured (for the most part) by shortening the AM nap to 45-60m and the PM nap 1h15m-1h30m.  He still wakes singing sometimes I just turned the monitor down and try and ignore it (as lovely as the singing is).  I totally think the singing is developmental as there are a bunch of babies around 10-11m doing this LOL.  My Owen is about to walk - started cruising the furniture lastely so I think its related to that perhaps.

Let me know how it goes.

Jaime - how are things going over with you hunny?

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 15:47:41 pm »
Last night was awful for us, so today I'm limiting that AM nap to 1 hour. I hate waking him from naps - in the past when I've done that, it's bitten me in the butt with an overtired bub by bedtime. But, I think it's worth a try. He'll totally sleep 2-2.5 hours in the AM if I let him! That would be find if he could make it until bedtime after that, but he definitely still needs a PM nap. He just LOVES his naps!  ;D And so do I! So neither of us enjoys waking him!  ;)
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 16:01:41 pm »
Well, it was nice for a few days to wake at 7am :-\  Now he is not singing at all, but waking at 6am again. 

Regardless of the wake time I am doing a nap at 10 for an hour, and a nap at 230-3pmish for an hour and 15m.  I honestly do not think he can handle any less sleep then this, in fact I am sure he needs more day sleep because he is a bit cranky.  Yes, I can see the left first molar and yes he is umcomfy by it but I really don't think the teething has anything to do with the waking because he is sleeping through the night and naps.  He loves sleep.

Maybe I should try that wake to sleep job - whatcha think bout that idea?  He is still tired when he wakes at 6am b/c I go in (he is crying, so I have to go in) and re adjust everything and he goes back to sleep for a bit.

I feel like I am missing something here and I am frustrated.  I know he can do 3-4h before his first nap, 4h before his second and 3-4h before bedtime.  I just can't figure out how to fit that all in.  I also don't get why he was sleeping til 7am last week and now he isn't!

This morning he woke at 6am I re adjusted him, he slept til 630am and we got up and played in the dark in my bed til 7am, he fell asleep on the floor in the living room at 830am and I let him sleep til he wanted which was 1h and 55m.  Now he is the happiest he has been in a week.  He seems all over the place.  What am I missing? 

Zoe

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 19:01:13 pm »
Ahhhhh!  Nothing is the same two days in a row!  I haven't done w2s because of that!  Sunday he did 4h of day sleep (fell asleep on the floor both naps) and slept 12h at night.  next day 2h of day sleep and 11h at night.  This morning he woke 45m after his AM nap, that was waking at 630 and going down for the nap at 1015am.

I think there is no sense to any of this and I just have to roll with the punches!!  This molar sucks too, it just sucks lol.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 23:56:03 pm »
I don't think so, I offer 8oz each AM and he only takes 6oz - breakfast is his worst meal.   I give him 2oz in a sippy at each snack time and I offer 10oz before his bath - he usually takes it all.  So that's 20 now.  I increased this 10days ago I think - he would drink 32oz plus of formula if I let him, but then his solids goes down.

So today he woke at 630am, napped 45m - then 1h45m for the second and I put him down at 7pm cause I thought he was gonna fall asleep in the tub.  I don't know!  Could the molar be making him tired?  Can I take the molar out by any chance?  We will see how tomorrow goes, it isn't boring that's for sure!

Thanks,
Zoey

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 02:44:58 am »
Lol I do now!

I think I forget because he is mine.  I am an idiot when it comes to Owen.

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 21:58:26 pm »
Zoey - our babies share more than their names! I was JUST going to post something about teething and being extra tired, so I'm glad I saw this convo between you and Stacy! Owen is always extra sleepy when teething, and I usually have to put him down for naps 30 minutes earlier than normal. But I'm having so much trouble finding the bedtime sweetspot! I'm going to try 2.5 hours of A time before bed, and see how that works. Last night we did 2h15, and he wasn't tired enough yet.

It's never dull, that's for sure! Can you feel the molar yet?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 00:06:38 am »
Lol Becky Im am so glad Im not alone!  Yes, it poked through like all four corners and now its kinda just haulted LOL.  Today we did 3h up, 1.5h nap, 3h up, 1.5h nap, 3h up, bed.  Hw woke at 655am which was a treat, but was up hmm 4 times at night with pain.  Poor bub!

Its so hard to figure things out LOL.  Owen is walking too right?!? 

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 00:13:04 am »
He's cruising furniture, and using a walker but isn't taking any solo steps yet. But boy can that kid cruise the furniture! He starts in one corner of the room and sort of swings from item to item like a monkey to move around! I'll blink, and he's made it into the other room!

I can't feel our molars yet. Glad your Owen's mostly done! We're waking at night from pain too. Mostly, he just has 1 waking about 1 hour after the Tylenol wears off. We give him some more, a bottle, and then he generally sleeps until morning - sometimes moans and groans in his sleep, but other than that seems to be Ok. He's also taken to waking at 8-8:30 am, which I'm pretty darn thrilled with. I'm sure it's temporary, though. We'll be back to the 7 am wake-up as soon as these stupid teeth are done!

Are you as done with teeth as me? Owen got his first 2 at 4.5 and 5.5 months old. then he got the last 6 between 8-10 months. Each tooth takes 2 stinking weeks to come in! Almost to the day! He's such a little textbook kid!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 00:43:14 am »
I am TOTALLY done with teething - he started at 6m - so got 8 teeth from 6m to 10m, and at 10m started the molar... INSANE!  I feel like all I give him is Tylenol!

I hope it ends for both Owen's soon LOL.

HUGS

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 19:53:43 pm »
Me too!!  ;D

Hey, do you mind if I ask how you like the walker thing in that picture of Owen? Right now we have this Stride-to-ride car that he can sort of use as a walker, but I'm wondering if a more classic push sort of toy might be better. He loves pushing that car around, and now he's taken to pushing our folding chairs around too! It's so cute - like he's driving the furniture!  ;D
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 20:59:28 pm »
I don't mind at all!  Its ok now that he can stand up better.  At first I hated it because he woul dpull up and it tipped back and he hit his head.  But now he doesn't really pull on it so it doesn't tip.  To be perfectly honest with you and maybe save you some cash... Owen far prefers a laundry bucket tipped over to that walker.  The thing he DOES love on it is the front, the doors open and you can put stuff in etc, he is forever putting stuff in and taking it out.

LOL at pushing chairs, I love this age!

I also love your new picture, is he adorable or WHAT!!

Our wakings are still all over the place.  Usually 630 which is fine.  His naps are whacked too.  I know him so well I can tell by looking at him that he is begining to get sleepy without him doing anything and lately - like today I swear he could have gone without a PM nap.  But each day is different, some days he can be up 4.5h some days just 3h - keeps me from being bored!

Loves!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 21:57:59 pm »
OMG Becky I love your new avatar!
Jessica

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 23:42:20 pm »
Thanks for the compliments on the picture, guys! That's sweet! My MIL wanted a nekkid one for her Christmas cards, so I thought I'd put on some reindeer antlers and give him ribbon to play with to dress it up. They did turn out pretty cute! (of course, the subject matter makes it hard to mess up!  ;) )

Zoey, I love your Chunky Monkey blinkey - I'm obsessed with taking naked pics right now b/c Owen is thinning down so much! Have you noticed that too? He's going from Michelin Man to more like slightly bulbous little guy. All that moving around really makes them drop the fat! I even felt RIBS this morning! I didn't even know he had ribs!  ;D

I'll have to try the upside down laundry basket!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2006, 00:12:24 am »
Yes  :'( he is loosing all his chub - but his thighs are still chunk-O-licious!

We all should have a chunky thigh pic contest LOL

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 03:15:17 am »
Can you guys send some of that bulk to Kayla??? She's STILL a stick LOL so thin she turns sideways and you loose her   ;D
Kimberly

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 04:01:36 am »
Lol can I send her some of my bulk instead??  ::)

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2006, 04:56:05 am »
LMAO not till she takes mine  :P
Kimberly

fifibobandmore

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2006, 11:16:40 am »
Hi their

My son was the same but it was 4 years ago so what I did with him might not be the thing done now. I shorted his nap times so his naps where morning nap 45 Min', dinner nap 1 hour and afternoon nap 30 Min' before the change in naps they where morning 1 hour, dinner 1hour 30 Min' and afternoon 45 Min'. He was very grumpy for about a week with the new nap routine but after that he was fine and he slept longer at night to make up for the loss in his naps but when he turn 2 he started talking in his sleep and that has been going on every night now for almost 3 years. They have done a sleep check on him and it ends up he is still very active in his sleep and his brain is on the go all the time just is him right to the T as from the minute he wakes at 6 in the morning most days he goes straight down stairs and plays with his toys and watches TV as he tries not to wake everyone else up especially his 2 year old sister as they share a room at the moment until we can get a bigger house.

Hope this is usefully and helps you out a bit.

Alison Reed
mother of 2
Ryan - Asthmatic but very active (15/02/2002)
Loren - Cerebellar tonsils, night waker but also very active (09/11/2004)
Baby number 3 due 19/07/2007 (Fingers crossed)

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2006, 15:40:38 pm »
Thanks Alison!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2006, 03:32:25 am »
i need more owen pics zoey.