Author Topic: night terrors  (Read 847 times)

Offline Christa

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
night terrors
« on: November 14, 2006, 17:45:57 pm »
Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? The past few nights Harrison half-wakes up SCREAMING (not crying) at the top of his lungs. Its very hard to console him as he's not really awake, will even push away and fight being held. Will eventually calm down, like after 10-15 minutes. Its nerve wracking and really disrupting my sleep too. Just want to know if there is anything I can do to help this not last long.

p.s. He did start daycare 2 weeks ago, so I know that may be causing this, but he does seem to like it there and he is on the same schedule as before wake 6:30 nap 12-2 bed 8:00, so I don't think he's overtired.

Thanks anyone!

... one sleepy working mommy

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 19:39:38 pm »
My older dd who is 5 occasionally gets night terrors and we just lie her back down without trying to comfort her and this seems to help.  I've read that if you try to soothe they can incorporate yuo into the "terror" ie. they don't know that you are there and trying to soothe them so it doesn't help.  I didn't think night terrors started so young though.  During what part of the night does he usually scream?

Offline Christa

• Showing Appreciation 50
Re: night terrors
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 21:47:16 pm »
Thanks Imsmum!

That's interesting, I've been reading online and some sites say to wake the kid up and "snap" them out of it, but most agree with what you've said, as comforting can just add confusion and make it worse.

I'll try and leave him, but I did that last night and it went on for over 5 minutes... seemed like hours though!!

Last night he did it at around midnight and then a minor wake-up, which was helped by comforting around 2am...

Also, in my reading, they can start as early as 9 months.

I wonder what Tracy would say about this?

Offline Elfie's mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 17:55:13 pm »
Hi there!
HLH, there was a post a couple of posts fairly recently all about night terrors, one of them listed some really useful links.
Do hope that your LO settles down soon, I really sympathise - we had a couple of months or so of terrible night terrors every night that lasted up to half an hour. Felt so helpless.
The link to that recent post is https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=75299.0
Best of luck for some quiet and restful nights!
Becki xx
Becki - Mum to Elfie, born on 30th Oct 2003

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 18:26:11 pm »
Christa, there's a section in the Baby whisperer solves all your problems pg 271.

Not a lot of info, but something. Meant to be much worse for you than Harrison who will remember nothing of it. How's work?

Katie
Katie