Author Topic: waking.. and waking...  (Read 3578 times)

shimzy

waking.. and waking...
« on: November 14, 2006, 22:43:54 pm »
My dd is 15wks old and is about 14.5lbs? ..

She is bottle fed. The amount she takes each day varies and she has only slept through the night twice. (from 6-6 or 7-7)

I can read my daughters cues, she naps like a dream, goes to bed independantly. The problem is, she wakes constantly at night, and I just cant seem to crack the code.

Lately this is what her schedule looks like. We swaddle her fully, no paci, bedtime routine has been consistent since she was 2 days old. I feed her after 2am (because we dream feed at 10pm) and I know that she can go at least 4 hours without food.

The problem is, after that 2am wake up/feed (sometimes she eats sometimes she doesnt) and her wake up can vary from 1am-4am - its then constant waking every half hour until I pull her out of bed at 7am.

She's not wet or soiled, she doesnt have gas. I just dont get it! Please help.

7am – eat 3 oz   
8:40 – nap               
10:10 – wake up – she woke on her own   
11am – eat 8oz, get brayden from school, walk in the sled for 40 minutes to and from school
12:20pm – nap               
2pm – she woke on her own         
2:40pm- 7oz               
4:10pm – catnap            
5pm – wake up            
6:30-bath, massage, jammies,       
6:40pm-6oz
6:45pm - bedtime
10pm – dream feed 5oz

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: waking.. and waking...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 22:52:11 pm »
When she wakes up is she taking a full feed or just a few oz?

When she wakes for this feed are you feeding her in a quiet darkend room?

Does she settle into her naps / bed time quite quickly, or does it take a while for her to settle?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline septmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 23:00:25 pm »
I used the techniques from the book to get my 8 week old to sleep through the night.  I started when he was 6 weeks old and he now sleeps from about 8:30pm until 7am every night.  This took time, patience, and definitely some "training". 

Have you tried doing the techniques from the book?  I know you said you do a dreamfeed.  Have you tried giving her the pacifier instead of the bottle when she wakes during the night?

I did this, just as the book says, and I had to do it for 3 nights, just as the book says.  And, lo and behold, it worked!!!    :D

shimzy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 23:09:07 pm »
When she wakes up is she taking a full feed or just a few oz?

When she wakes for this feed are you feeding her in a quiet darkend room?

Does she settle into her naps / bed time quite quickly, or does it take a while for her to settle?

When she wakes up is she taking a full feed or just a few oz? few oz - but you see her breakfast bottle is only ever a few oz's so to her it 'could be' a full feed.

When she wakes for this feed are you feeding her in a quiet darkend room? in the chair beside her crib. i hardly move anywhere, small glow light

Does she settle into her naps / bed time quite quickly, or does it take a while for her to settle? she settles very quickly - 1 min tops

shimzy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 23:11:57 pm »
I used the techniques from the book to get my 8 week old to sleep through the night.  I started when he was 6 weeks old and he now sleeps from about 8:30pm until 7am every night.  This took time, patience, and definitely some "training". 

Have you tried doing the techniques from the book?  I know you said you do a dreamfeed.  Have you tried giving her the pacifier instead of the bottle when she wakes during the night?

I did this, just as the book says, and I had to do it for 3 nights, just as the book says.  And, lo and behold, it worked!!!    :D

ive tried not feeding at all and it makes no difference.
we just weaned her from the pacifier too -it made no effect on her night wakings
i dont have the new book

shimzy

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:46:23 am »
I am thinking we are in for a real nightmare tonight... She had her cat nap from 4-4:50pm... and was soooooooooo tired by 6pm so we bathed her and had her in bed by 6:20 (fed, massaged jammied etc) and she was passed out with in minutes....(this is the first time Ive put her to bed this early)

I just dont get it. Why cant she make it to 7pm? She naps well during the day, is not cranky during her awake times, so why cant she make it to her 7pm bedtime? Is it because the catnap is not long enough?

:-\

shimzy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 14:44:31 pm »
Yep so last night was pretty bad.....for the last half of the night.

She fell asleep about 6:20pm...I tried not doing the dreamfeed but she woke anyway at 10pm. I tried to settle her but she was really mad. So I fed her. She ate 4.5oz. She then slept until 3am. This is where it all starts. I tried to settle her and she was really mad (again). So I tried to feed her. She only took 2 oz...I put her back to bed and she was awake every half hour to hour. Things got really hectic with her about 5:30 where I fed her and she took 4.5 oz again. She still woke up every half hour to hour until I finally pulled her out of bed at 7:15. She took another 2.5 oz at 7:30am. She was able to stay awake until 8:45am. I put her to bed and she went to sleep. No fuss.

What in the world is going on.. where is my little angel !

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 18:51:21 pm »
Have her nights always been like this - or has it just started recently.

Do you think she could be going through her 4 month growth spurt a bit early?

With her bottles in the day - How many oz is she taking?  Does she drain all her bottles?  If so have you tried to add an extra oz to each bottle.

Sorry for all the questions.

Paula

shimzy

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 19:14:43 pm »
I dont mind the questions, it helps figure things out

Have her nights always been like this - or has it just started recently.
        This has just started recently. She used to only get up once in the night (after her dreamfeed), she would eat and then sleep until morning.

Do you think she could be going through her 4 month growth spurt a bit early? Perhaps......

With her bottles in the day - How many oz is she taking?  Does she drain all her bottles?  If so have you tried to add an extra oz to each bottle.
          She used to take about 19-23oz each day. (That was a few days ago). Now since putting her on 3.5 to 4 EASY she takes about 30-32oz. Im not really sure why she is taking SO much more, but she is taking alot more than usual. The thing is, she doesnt eat a whole lot in the middle of the night anymore, she eats maybe 2 ish oz (unless its after 5am) but she keeps getting up and up and up.

Could the uptake in ounces be causing her pain or discomfort? Is she eating too much? Maybe too little? Even though she can stay awake quite well for the 2 hours, do you think it is too much awake time?

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 19:19:35 pm »
She could definitely be going through a growth spurt a bit early.

I don't think it could be gas cause you say that she is fine during the day.

It might be worthwhile trying to clusterfeed to get the extra oz in her.  Offer her a small feed after her cat nap at 5:00pm and then again after her bath, then bed.  This may help to eliminate the night wakings.

Paula x

shimzy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 19:59:37 pm »
Hi Paula! Thanks for that info. After I posted my last message to you, I thought the same thing.
I'll do the cluster feed and see what happens.

Do you suggest that I do the cluster feed and drop the dream feed? Or continue on with the dreamfeed?

The dreamfeed never used to bother her... but it seems now she is waking all the time in the last wk or so.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 20:05:24 pm »
I would do the clusterfeed and the dreamfeed for a couple of days and see how you get on.

At least this way you are getting more oz into her.

Goo Luck.  Keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula x

shimzy

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 20:15:25 pm »
Thanks Paula! I'll give that a spin tonight and let you know how things go over night.

:-* Lisa

Offline Stephanies Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 13:59:45 pm »
Hi Lisa,
Just want to drop you a note and let you know that you are so not alone.  My LO is doing the same as yours--she keeps waking more and more often- last night it was four times! I've been trying a variety of things but nothing seems to be working- she will be 15 weeks on Monday.  I'm hoping it is teething because she is a little miss drooly and loves to chomp on her fingers.  I only hope it passes quickly because I've become quite a bear to deal with because I am so tired.
I wish you luck,
Stephanie's Mom

Paula,
What are your thoughts on trying a 4 hr easy for a 15 week old? Can you clarify if the 4 hr easy should be for a 16 week old or a 4 month old (4 months from the birthday is 17 weeks and 3 days.)
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 14:17:06 pm by Stephanies Mom »

Offline jomige

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 14:26:39 pm »
My LO did the same as your two at that age (she is now 18 weeks).  She had transititioned herself to a 4 hour EASY at 11 weeks (early, I know but she did great on it and was showing all the signs). 

At 14-15 weeks she started to wake up hourly at night, very fussy.  She wasn't teething and not hungry...just fussy.  After about a week she settled back down to just waking up once at night (after her df) to eat.  I think it is a mix of developmental stuff and an early 4 month growth spurt.

So hold tight, it does get better.  Just stay strong and try not to fall into any AP traps!

Stephanie's Mom:  A 4 hour EASY can work at 15 weeks, but it depends on your LO.  Some do it earlier, some later.  There is a great link under the EASY FAQ boards about when LOs are ready to move to the 4 hour EASY and how to do it gradually (although my LO did it all on her own in 1 day...).

HTH,

Jodi
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

shimzy

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 14:43:47 pm »
WOW thanks for the help guys.

I have to say last night was a BIT better (still woke 3 times) BUT I got 3 hours of straight sleep LOL...

It was funny when they mentioned growth spurt because she is 3 mths and 2 wks today and for the last couple wks was varying between 3.25 to 4 hour EASY.. now she is closed the gap to 3.75 to 4 hour easy and its quite clear she can stay awake for 1.75 hr without getting overtired.

Turns out I was keeping us TOO busy to notice her first tired sign. She has never been hard to put down and does go to sleep easily (even when overtired) but it manifests itself with night wakings. BAD MOMMY!!  :P

I also went out and picked up the Hylands Teething tablets last night and gave her a couple of doses. She seems to be less chewy on her hands today so maybe that was part of the problem too.

You all should start a thread about the 4 month growth spurt. By far I believe it is the worst! lol....

She went through - more hunger, growing more, overtired from transitioning to 4 hour easy, teething ...holy cow. And all in two weeks. Cant wait for this growth spurt to end!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 19:23:17 pm »
Hi Stephanies Mom,

It all depends on your lo - if you think that your lo can handle the A time, then by all means try.

Have a look at this link, these are some sure signs that your lo is ready to transition.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0

Lisa,

Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head.  Let us know how the rest of your day goes.

Good Luck.

Paula x

shimzy

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 19:38:04 pm »
well i dunno, its more like bent the nail  :P
madisons' naps have been absolutely horribly atrocious today. she goes to sleep right away, and then at an hour *bing* she's wide awake
tonight is going to be horribly wretched again, she is going to be WAY overtired at bedtime.....

sleep dangit sleep! :'(

shimzy

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 19:47:02 pm »
I should add too, Madison has been trying very hard to roll from back to front today.

Perhaps that is why her sleeping is so disturbed. Its kinda funny watching her becuase she gets really frustrated, then gives up and then all of a sudden lets out a huuuuuuuge grunt, throws her leg over her body and falls back onto her back......LOL..poor thing.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 19:54:13 pm »
Lisa,

Defintely sounds like the developmetal part has a lot to do with her sleep issues.

Try going into her room at aroudn the 45 minute mark to help her transition into a deeper sleep.

Sending you lots of sleep vibes.

Paula x

Offline Stephanies Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 13:03:03 pm »
Lisa, How have you been making out with the LO?

Thanks Jodi- it was good to hear you went throught the same thing (not that you had to go through it but that it a phase.  :))   Last night was much better, she only woke at 3.30 where I fed her (she used to wake at this time regularly and I do feed her....need to do w2s again...I think I started w2s when the erratic wakings began.)  She then woke at 5.50 and I normally start our day at 6.30 so I can live with that.  Hopefully things will stay on this course.  I also think part of it was that we did a more of a 3.5-3.45 EASY yesterday too.
Thanks again for your support.
Dottie
aka Stephanie's Mom

Paula,
The link was very helpful...she had 3 of the 4 signs.  The only thing I will struggle with is that we usually wakes between 5.30-6 but I don't nurse her til 6.30 so I don't think she can stay up for 2 hrs after her feed since she's been awake and talking in her crib for some time before that.   I don't want to start my day any earlier as I will be going back to work in a few weeks.  Any thoughts?
Dottie

shimzy

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 13:44:15 pm »
Last night wasnt too bad, still woke a few times.

I did no dreamfeed last night though and she still wouuldnt eat at any point during her wakings in the middle of the night - so she must NOT be hungry. I can now start working on pinpointing her wake up times and try to combat them one by one. I figure she is waking AROUND the same time so I'll give W2S a try on those.....

And as a result of doing no dream feed guess what? SHE took 6 OUNCES for breakfast! woohoo! lol.. thats a breakthrough for us. When I was doing the dream feed the most I could get her to take was 2-3 oz.. yay!!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 20:18:12 pm »
Dottie, you can always adjust her times after the first nap.  Our lo was never able to stay up the recommended time first thing in the morning, and then we would adjust our EASY times from when he woke up - HTH's.

Lisa, that is fantastic news about the morning bottle  ;D  Keep us posted on how she gets on.  Sounds like a plan with regards to the night wakings - if it is not out of hunger, then it may be worthwhile to try the W2S and see how it goes.  Have you tried posting in the general sleep issues, to see if they have any advice for you?  Especially now that we know it is not out of hunger.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula x

Offline Stephanies Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 14:38:50 pm »
Good news, bad news.  Good- last night was the second night where my LO woke up at 3.35 and then 5.15 which is where we were before the wakings 4x a night so I can tackle the ~3.30 with w2s again and she actually fell back to sleep after the 5.15 w/ some accidental parenting (gave her the boob but only for a minute) but I really needed some more sleep.  Bad- yesterday she took 3 45 minute naps where she hasn't had a problem taking 2 hour naps for weeks now.  All 3 times she woke crying and wouldn't be consoled unless she was picked up and then of course was a crank monster when awake.    Couldn't put her back down without her crying...may need to read up on pu/pd.  She's become to hate the ssh/pat but that's what taught her to settle herself initially.  She in now stirring an hour into her 1st nap....gggrrrr.  I guess she just wants to keep me guessing.
Is this happening to you at all?  \Being beckoned...
Dottie
Dottie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 19:41:36 pm »
Dottie,

I am sorry you  are having such a rough time.  She may take a few days to settle into her routine, but if things are not working, it may be worthwhile going back to the old routine, and then trying again in a few days time.

Hugs.

Keep us posted.

Paula x

shimzy

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 15:08:25 pm »
Well its still not super great. I stopped the dreamfeed which helps tremendously with her breakfast bottle. She is now consistently taking 6 oz for her breakfast bottle (before she would only take 2 or 3 oz because we did dreamfeed).

Also, her nightwakings are getting a bit better. She goes to bed at 7 and sleeps until 1am, then gets up at about 3am.. then 4 am.. then its every hours until get up time.

*sigh* I just dont know what to tackle first. I try feeding her at the 3am bottle because I figure she's hungry but EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to feed her she only takes 2 oz, obviously up for just a snack and a lil chat  :-\

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 19:47:14 pm »
That is great news about the breakfast bottle Lisa  :D

Do you think it might be worthwhile trying to just re-settle her first and see if that helps?

Paula x

shimzy

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 20:28:42 pm »
I can try resettling her instead of feeding in the middle of the night.  My son didnt drop his middle of the night feed until he was 8 mths...and he ate WAY more than she ever does. She is consistently taking 30oz each day (which is a huge amount more than she was taking just a couple wks ago) - that being said, She is also spitting up alot more than usual too, seems like she has a tummy ache even an hour or so after eating. Is that normal? She's otherwise happy.

On a better note she has had an awesome napping day. So far 2 naps of 1.75 hr. All thats left is her cat nap tonight. She didnt wake once at all from her naps and I had to actually wake her up from her second nap because it was going into her next feed. She was NOT happy that I woke her up. But came around after I fed her.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 20:34:08 pm »
You can only try - if she does not settle then feed her, see how she goes.

That is fantastic news about the naps - sounds like she is doing really well.

Let us know how you get on.

Paula x