Author Topic: A little confused about whether it's an allergic reaction or not  (Read 1665 times)

Offline texasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
A little confused about whether it's an allergic reaction or not
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:31:29 pm »
Hi, I recently started solids and am feeding my LO cereal mixed with fruit.  I tried cereal by itself, but my LO did not like it.  Anyway, he gets different things on his face, and I wondered if it's an allergic reaction.  Sometimes he gets a little patch on his face of small pinkish-red bumps and even just the pinkish coloring w/o the bumps.  Or he might just get little colorless bumps kind of all over his face.  The nurse at my pediatrician's office said it's not an allergic reaction unless they are hive-like and don't go away.  His does go away after maybe 4 hours.  I remember when he first started formula he got the bumps all over his body.  Anyway, is this sign of an allergy?

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mommy to Hayden, Born April 9th, 2006! 6 lbs 7 oz!
Re: A little confused about whether it's an allergic reaction or not
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 21:20:44 pm »
Sounds to me like a teething rash.  My LO had a rash all over his face when he was last teething.  His drool really does a job on his face.

Offline SAHNE

• Proud momma to Carter, Turner, and one angel baby!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two little beasties who have stolen my heart!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 04:18:14 am »
In our experience, allergic reactions don't go away so quickly... especially if the food is continued (which is why it is helpful to give the food for 3-5 days straight).  I would agree it's probably from drool or saliva.  I would give the same food for several days in a row and see if the rash worsens.  For my son, the rash would spread over the rest of his body if he was reacting and would clear up if just due to saliva.  HTH.
Steph
-Steph

Offline texasmom

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:11:12 am »
ok, thanks so much.  it actually could be teething...

the only difference now is that it hasn't gone away after a couple of days. ?

Offline texasmom

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:27:16 am »
i had a thought after i posted...  it's ok to give the food even if you think they're allergic?  i will continue to give it and see if it worsens.  thanks so much!  :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 16:43:43 pm »
If he still has the rash I wouldn't give the suspected food until it's gone. Then you can always test it again.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 19:00:20 pm »
In what position does you DS sleep in?  I first thought my DS's rash was some type of reaction to something, even went to the Dr because it was so bad.  Took me 3 weeks to figure out it was because he sleeps on his tummy, was drooling in his sleep & then rubbing his face in it.  I kept noticing the rash was red & really bad always after waking.  The one time it was so bad I felt his crib sheet & it was soaked.

My Dr said though that the rash was most likely caused by his teeth but I didn't believe her because it was all over his face until I figured out the sheet issue.  As soon as he popped his 2 bottom teeth it disappeared.

Offline texasmom

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 01:24:13 am »
Hmmm...  ok, all good things to think about.  Thank you to all of you!  :)  We have been in NJ for Thanksgiving, but now we are home, and I can really watch to see what this is. 

I haven't given him any solids today or yesterday.  I wanted to see if it would clear up.  It did, and now it is back - by his mouth.  So I think you may be right about the teething.  He has been teething the past few days.  And lots of drool. 

I appreciate all your input. 

Have a great weekend. 

Brooke

Offline texasmom

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 01:27:22 am »
Oh, and Jenny Jen, he does sleep on his tummy, and I HAVE found patches of drool on the sheet.  Or even sometimes spit up. 

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 20:30:30 pm »
Just wanted to let you know the drool rash lasted 4 weeks with my DS.  Some days were good, other days not, those were the high drool days  ;D