Author Topic: help! 14 week old will not nap weel, sleep or feed well  (Read 922 times)

Offline madelineowen

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help! 14 week old will not nap weel, sleep or feed well
« on: November 16, 2006, 21:52:28 pm »
Hi I have already posted this on the general sleep board but i'm not sure that it's surpposed to be there. But to be honest with you i'm so desperate that i need all the help i can get.

Please, Please help,

This is not my first post. I'm always on this site seeking advise and help. To be honest with you if it wasn't for this site I think I would have cracked up a long time ago. It's really helped me and has stopped me from cracking up.

I'm not sure if I should post this here or on the feeding board?

My problem is that I have a grumpy baby and from day one it's been an absolute struggle with everything. I completely adore my lo but she really does try ones patients.

She is 14 weeks old and is a terrible sleeper and feeder. She only naps for 30 - 45 Min's at each nap in the day and has now started to wake in the night and refuses to go back to sleep. I'm really at my wits end and I'm lucky if I get four hours sleep a night.

The health visitor came last week to check on her as she has a dairy allergy and is on Soya milk. She advised me that I should start to ease her into a four hour routine and this should sort out her problems.

So I am now following a 3.5 easy routine. However she will only sleep 45Min's which is making her activity time quit long.

At night she goes to bed at 7pm and will then wakes at 9-10pm for a feed, she will then sleep until 1.30a.m.feed and then refuses to go back to sleep four the next 2-3 hours. After that she can often wake go back off and then wake again for the rest of the time.

All her nap's and sleeps are done in her crib, in a dark room. I use a water CD to get her off and she has a pacif. Lately she will not go off unless I am holding her hand and laying next to the crib.

I usually cluster feed her before bed and have just started to add a little cereal to her milk because I know that she is not getting enough calories during the day. As she will only take 3oz at each feed and I have tried everything to get her to take more.

It's only recently that her activity time has got longer (usually 2 hours now) as she was only staying awake 1 - 1.5 hours before but we still had this problem.

It's seems like there are so many problems  that need to be addressed. I just don't know what to do why won't she sleep or eat well?

Alicia's Mummy.x

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: help! 14 week old will not nap weel, sleep or feed well
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 00:00:17 am »
Big HUGS to you!  I hope things get better for you.  I don't have any advise for you, and there are great mods that I am sure will be answering soon.  If you could post your routine, I'm sure it will help them figutre out what to do.  Include how much she eats, what you do to wind down, do you swaddle? etc.
Meghan, Mommie to Baby Kaitlyn

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 21:29:32 pm »
Hugs I am sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time.

Please can you post a detailed routine of what a typical day looks like.  E - how much - A - how long, and what you are doing / S - Windown routine and how long - Have you tried extending her naps?

Also I am going to pop this over to the EASY board, as I am sure you will get more answers there.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline deemum

• www.anfeirmbeag.com
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 22:57:43 pm »
hi Madelineowen, {{{{hugs}}}} sorry ur having a rough time, it would be great if we could get a look at your routine, ur lo stays awake an awful long time for 14 weeks could she be overtired? my lo is 11 weeks and i had been keeping her awake too long - up to 2 hrs was too long for her, she had no sleep cues for me to go by. when she couldn't sleep i thought she wasn't tired when actually she was overtired! hope this helps!
Dee