Author Topic: Is this over-stimulation???  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Jodieplus2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Is this over-stimulation???
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:52:58 am »
My 15 week old gets very hyper-active- flapping his arms & legs around, hitting himself in the tummy etc. Is this over-stimulation of are they just like this?

I notice it most when changing his nappy first thing in the morning, & when he is waiting for his bath in the evening, lying on his back in the bathroom.

He only seems to do it when he is lying on his back, but means I am still having to swaddle him as it is a nightmare to settle him to sleep!

Is this normal?
Thanks
Jx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Is this over-stimulation???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 18:11:13 pm »
To me, it just sounds like he's excited and his little body is doing it's best to show you that.  In the morning, he's probably excited to see you.  Does he like his bath?  He could be excited about that too (or maybe he just likes to be naked LOL).  As long as he's not upset, I wouldn't say he's overstimulated.  Oh and FWIW, I had to swaddle my DD until just around the 4 month mark or she would never sleep.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 18:17:47 pm »
Maybe, maybe not. If that's the ONLY time it happens, then it may pass - like PP said, he might just be excited and the novelty will pass.

Keep your eyes open and see if it happens at other times, or if there are other situations you would describe as "overstimulation," maybe think of this as a flag (not even a red one yet) to keep your eyes peeled.

Meanwhile, what happens if you put something IN his hands, like an extra diaper, or a wipe, or a small stuffed toy? Does he flail it, inspect it, throw it, whatever? Might be finding new uses for his hands! :) Josie did well with a small blanket, like 12" square or so, so caress, which she could also use as a lovey for sleep times.

Just a thought! :)

Edited to add: Make sure he gets lots of tummy time! When he flails his arms on his tummy, eventually he'll accidentally (at first) get them under himself and either lift or move himself. SO cute when that happens!!!! If you can watch his arms and legs when he's on his back, imagine a turtle on its back, and then what happens when you put the turtle back "right side up!" :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 18:19:56 pm by deb »

shimzy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 18:19:36 pm »
My daughter did this too, especially when naked and/or in the tub. She LOVES to splash. It has calmed down some .. maybe she is gaining control of her arms now

Offline Jodieplus2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 19:25:41 pm »
Thanks ladies, yes, he does like his baths, so maybe is just getting excited. & when I am changing his nappy is when we get the most eye-to-eye contact & smiles, so I guess this is excitement too.

Yep, am getting him on his tummy- but he only seems to do the mini push-up & no flapping at this yet.
Cheers
Jx