Author Topic: EASY when baby is sick?!?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Staughty6-8-06

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY when baby is sick?!?
« on: November 17, 2006, 17:04:29 pm »
i think this would be the right post, either this or sickness..

My 5 month old came down with a bad cold on 4 days ago. He is a pretty EASY baby with the exception that hes not the worlds best sleeper at night. (it was pretty tedious to wean him from night feeds, but we were finally at the pt where he went to bed at 7, DF @ 10:30 or 11 and slept until 7). He is on a great schedule, falls asleep on his own and takes good naps. until this week!!
Once he got sick, he wouldnt sleep, he was too stuffed up. Ive suctioned, given him tylenol when he had a fever, everything i could think of! i FINALLY am able to get him to take his naps if i nurse him adn then lay him in his bed. At night he is frequently waking (understandably- he cant breathe!). So my fear is that once he gets better he will still require me to feed him to go to sleep. Its at the pt where he screams if i lay him in his crib awake, that is so not like him. but if i feed him (and half the time hes not really eating, its completely for comfort), he'll go to sleep.
Ive been ok with comfort feeding him b/c i want him to get the sleep he needs to get better. but im so scared it will continue after. Should i be doing this, any suggestions on if he does continue this what i should do!?!?

Offline NikiJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 164
Re: EASY when baby is sick?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 17:25:46 pm »
Hi

Imo you are doing exactly the right thing.  When they are sick, it is important to feed them whenever they want & to make them as comfy as possible.  There is a great section on these boards called Getting Back on Track.  I'm sure it will help you do just that when ds is better.

In the meantime, have you tried elevating his mattress.  Also, there is a great product called carvol that you can put on thier pillow to help them breathe.  Might be worth a try.

Niki

Offline Staughty6-8-06

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 18:25:43 pm »
thank you- that helps to ease my fears! ive never heard of Carvol-- ill look it up right  now. Elevating the mattress has definitely helped- thanks again!
katie

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 21:40:25 pm »
Katie,

I totally agree with PP. When your lo is not well you have to do everything and anything to make them comfortable.  Most of the time when they are not well they are really clingy and only want to be with mummy or daddy.

It may take a few days to get him back on track when he is better, but you will be able to do it.

Keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Take care

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007