Author Topic: White Blood cell county always high, is this linked to an allergy?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
I posted another post if my son's repeated infections were do to allergies, BUT I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this:

My son has had all the symptoms of a milk intolerance since birth.  He was on hypoallergenic formula for the 9 mos. and then to Lactose Free Formula.  At 1 year, we tried whole milk and he ended up in the emergency room because he refused to eat and drink anything.

We finally switched him to Lacto-free Whole Milk and he would drink about 9 oz. a day.  Finally after a complete evalutaion at the Chidlren's Hospital (which we are still in the process of).  They want him only drinking Pediasure because he weight has dropped on the curve.

He has had 4 infections in the past 2 months and now is on his 4th different antibotic.  Out of those 2 times, they did not know what kind of infection he had, only that his white blood cell count was high.  No ear infection or strep throat.

So...  Maybe could he be having a major reaction to the milk protein and that is causing his white blood cell count to go up?  He does have a number of yearly allergies also and is allergic to Soy (or was at 9 mos old).

OR could he have something more serious like lukemia (I don't even want to say that).

I am just SO STRESSED OUT with this.  He never feels good and it is driving me crazy. I just want a healthy little boy.

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

Re: White Blood cell county always high, is this linked to an allergy?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 19:49:19 pm »
Sorry he is sick again :( I have heard that repeated antibiotics can cause the white blood cells to be higher, could this cause it?Just googled it and it said allergies can cause it.

Allergy/intollerance, it doesn't make much difference in my book, just that your lo needs these things to be taken out of his diet. I know we have talked about this before, and you know my feelings about taking him off dairy, possibly soy if you feel this is a problem too.

Hugs Michelle
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 19:58:50 pm by binxyboo »

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 19:58:09 pm »
Thanks for checking into it.  I hope things get better soon.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 20:03:44 pm »
You know some doctors are just "antibiotic happy" too, prescribing them when not neccessary.  You said they didn't know what kind of infection they had, they why would they prescribe them? I hope you get some answers soon. I know how worried you are