Author Topic: bottle feeding  (Read 2181 times)

Offline feefeelucy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 18, 2006, 23:48:58 pm »
hi, my 21 month old son is taking approx 5 9oz bottles of second milk a day ( give and take a few oz's). I have been told by friends/family that he is taking too may bottles for his age and that i should be cutting them down, but he asks for his bottle, i was also wondering if i should change onto the third milk that's available ( tried him with cow's milk but refuses it). Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 01:29:15 am »
FeeFeeLucy:  Do you mean 11 months old not 21 right?

Thx A x

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:48:06 am »
FeeFee -

I am guessing you meant 11 months as well.  Our DD is nearly a year and we were told that range for milk is 16-24 oz and she shold be "off" bottles by 15m.   Right now she gets offered about 32 ounces a day and definitly downs the morn and night bottles and takes between 4-6 in her afternoon feeds.   We ARE going to start transitioning to cups for her midday milk.    We are also using 1/2 formula and 1/2 cow's milk.

Offline feefeelucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:50:21 am »
hi, sorry for the delay in replying computer was down, i did mean 21 month old, thank you for your replies they are much appreciated, i take it he is having to much bottle for his age, don't know how to start reducing them, have tried offering water/juice which he will take but still asks for his bottle's

Offline KimberlyŪ

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: bottle feeding
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 03:07:12 am »
I susspect at this point the bottle is for comfort not nurishment. I think it may be time to cut them. At his age cold turkey is probably best. He needs to take more solids and less milk/liquids, try giving him something else for comfort, like a teddy bear or something.
Kimberly

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 20:26:13 pm »
In one of the Tracy's books she says, that you can make a small cut into the teat of the bottle, so that the milk flow increases, then a few days later make another cut, until after a while you have made four incisions which end up in the shape of a cross - they lose interest then.

If you Lo is having 45oz of milk a day, what solid foods is he eating?   What weight and height percentile is he in?

45oz is an excessive amount of milk and he may be relying on it if he isn't getting a balance diet, however milk alone is not enough for him.
Lauren x

Offline feefeelucy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 00:55:05 am »
hi, thanks for your great advice, which i will be trying. my son who up until about a month ago had been a great wee eater (eating a wide variety of food but still taking the same amount of bottles) he then got an ear infection, and to be honest since then has been a nightmare to feed, somedays eating really good (although not very often these days) and others refusing just about everything,  he is slightly above th 50th % line for his weight and at the 75th line for his height, once again thanks for your advice

Offline Kat's mom

• 40yr old first time mom!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Kat's mom - spirited w/ textbook undertones!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 18:12:28 pm »
Hi, I'm new here and have a similar question about weaning from formula bottles. Kat is 15mo old and is still getting approx 21-28oz/day from Nutramigen formula. She is allergic to Cow's milk and will not drink anything soy, so I am trying to start weaning her from bottles but I'm at a loss as to what to transition her to that would have the fat and nutrients that she needs to get from Cow's milk. Any idea's on what to supplement with to keep her fat intake up while weaning from bottles? She's is pretty good solid food eater (depending on the day of course) My pediatrician suggested giving her Rice milk and adding some of the Nutramigen to it, but if I'm going to do that wouldn't it be about the same to just keep her on the formula but in a sippy cup???? Another holistic pediatrician friend suggested that she really didn't need to be on any formula or cow's milk drink. She said it really is not necessary for brain development, etc. Any thoughts?...and sorry so long...just really frustrated!
Mom to Kat (spirited baby, with textbook undertones) Stepmom to Amber-14yr. old!!!

Offline Kat's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 15:21:13 pm »
Hi, I posted a couple of days ago and haven't heard anything, should I move my post to different board? If so how do I do that? I'm still getting the hang of this site so I'm not sure if I posted wrong to not receive any responses. I really need help-first time mom...and stressed out.

Help and Thanks, Martha
Mom to Kat (spirited baby, with textbook undertones) Stepmom to Amber-14yr. old!!!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 15:33:16 pm »
Hi Martha, welcome to the boards

Sorry no one has replied to your 1st post.

I will try to help you where I can.....

Hi, I'm new here and have a similar question about weaning from formula bottles. Kat is 15mo old and is still getting approx 21-28oz/day from Nutramigen formula. She is allergic to Cow's milk and will not drink anything soy, so I am trying to start weaning her from bottles but I'm at a loss as to what to transition her to that would have the fat and nutrients that she needs to get from Cow's milk. Any idea's on what to supplement with to keep her fat intake up while weaning from bottles? She's is pretty good solid food eater (depending on the day of course) My pediatrician suggested giving her Rice milk and adding some of the Nutramigen to it, but if I'm going to do that wouldn't it be about the same to just keep her on the formula but in a sippy cup???? Another holistic pediatrician friend suggested that she really didn't need to be on any formula or cow's milk drink. She said it really is not necessary for brain development, etc. Any thoughts?...and sorry so long...just really frustrated!

To be honest I am not sure what you can use to suppliment cows milk, but there is no reason why you can't use formula. You can use it up to 2years - where are you from and I can see if they have follow on or toddlers milk.  At this age 21 - 28oz is a fair amount of milk, they really only need about 12 - 16oz or less at this as solids should form the main part of their diet.

lauren

Lauren x

Offline Kat's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 15:45:39 pm »
Hi, thanks for responding. I'm in the Dallas Texas area. Kathryn is just going through so many changes right now that I am trying to attack one issue at a time..:) Food being the first. I've never heard of Toddlers milk. What is it?  Yesterday we had our first major tantrum meltdown where nothing I tried helped (using BW for Toddlers approach of course). Plus she has 15 teeth 4 molars coming in all at the same time. So needless to say there's alot going on here. So I'm just happy to have found this site.  I've been on here reading as much as possible and have neglected to do much Xmas decorating...lol.  Priorities ya know...;)

Thanks again, Martha

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 15:51:48 pm »
Martha

Not sure if this can help or not but are you familiar with;  http://www.enfamil.com/products/formulas/i_1_14.html

Toddler Formulas

US/Canada: Enfagrow

Toddler formulas are appropriate for toddlers between 1 and 3 years of age. They are designed to supplement, not replace, food intake.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68010.0
Lauren x

Offline Kat's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 15:57:56 pm »
Oh yes (I had a momentary brain cramp), my pediatrician calls them secondary formulas. However he wasn't sure I be able to find one that she is not allergic to. I don't know if Enfamil makes a secondary formula that follows the age used for Nutramigen, but I will check it out. I'll post it here when I find out, since someone else may be having the same problems I am with her allergies.

Thanks again

binxyboo

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 15:58:20 pm »
Riley cannot tolerate cows milk, but he can eat yoghurt and some cheese, a;lthough he does not like cheese. He drinks Rice Milk and we just try to make sure that he gets enough fat and protein in his solids diet. He is growing and thriving. Cows milk is not a necessary drink, it just is convenient as it has good levels of fat, protein etc.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 16:02:31 pm »
The Enfamil link I gave before gives you info on;

Of course, if you prefer a soy-based formula for your toddler, there's Enfamil NEXT STEP ProSobee LIPIL, for cow's milk protein sensitive toddlers.
Lauren x