Author Topic: relief in sight?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline pastorT

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
relief in sight?
« on: November 19, 2006, 14:56:50 pm »
My ds (16 wks) was just diagnosed with a milk allergy.  He is exclusively breastfed so I am now eliminating everything that has even traces of milk in it.  What I'm wondering is, how long will it be until we see improvement?  He's been struggling with eating.  Feeds for a few minutes and then spasms in pain and begins to cry/scream.  He was diagnosed with reflux at 6 wks, given Zantac.  That dose was upped 2 weeks ago b/c he had outgrown it and now they changed him to Prevacid.  But in the past two weeks he has been waking up screaming in pain and only calms down after he latches on.  This never seemed to be a problem before (night was his most relaxing feeding time).  Also he used to sleep 6 to 7 hours in a row and now has reverted to four hours.  I may post on the reflux section to see if it's b/c of the change in meds, but I just wasn't sure what to expect from this milk allergy.  Thanks for any insights.

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: relief in sight?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 16:35:19 pm »
hmmm tough one. DS too is lactose intollerant and suffers from bad reflux and I can safely say, its not easy! I think the meds may need shifting if hes uncomfortable as it sounds more reflux related than the intollerance. With DS once we removed diary he made an almost instant recovery. The reflux, on the other hand, continues to be a challenge. HTH

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: relief in sight?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 18:23:42 pm »
It normally takes at least 2 weeks for the milk proteins to clear out of the system. But also, Prevacid can cause gas pains while the system adjusts - usually the gas pains only last a week or so...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01