Author Topic: Still eating purees  (Read 1217 times)

Offline RachelzMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Still eating purees
« on: November 19, 2006, 22:30:32 pm »
Rachel teethed very late, and has only recently gotten about five upper and five lower teeth.  Still no molars.  Still I'm not sure this has anything to do with the fact that she will not take a single bite of real fruit.  She will eat peas, broccoli, corn, and has tried a few other types of veggies.  But not a single piece of fruit crosses her lips.  However, she eats babyfood jars of apples, pears, bananas, etc., so I know it's not the taste.  She also refuses to eat any meats (which she actually used to eat).  Our meals consists of eggs, cereal, yogurt (with oatmeal mixed in), pasta with cheese sauce (I used whole wheat pasta and make the cheese sauce myself so I don't feel that it's junk food) and jars of carrots, peas, etc. or whole veggies.  I am not really worried about her not getting the proper nutrition, in fact we had our 18 month visit on Friday and the doc said she's great.  Still, I don't know what I'm supposed to do about this refusal of foods.  I hate to waste foods, and that's what happens if I offer her slices of fruit and she throws it all over the place.  Or make chicken, etc. and that ends up on the ceiling.  Am I really just supposed to put something on her plate all the time?  Cuz the minute she sees something she doesn't recognize, out it goes and usually this results in her refusal to eat anything at all.  It's like she doesn't trust me to feed her anything good cuz I've tried to trick her.  Any advice will be helpful though, thanks.

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
Re: Still eating purees
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:10:07 am »
Hiya,

Our lo also frustrates us by refusing to eat fresh fruit. She'll eat all the puree varieties but its a losing battle to get her to eat a fresh piece of pear or apple. I have no idea why and don't think it's teeth related. She has the same number of teeth as your little one and can gum her way through crackers no problem.

We have also tried sneaky ways to get fresh fruit into her like cutting up pear and stirring it into yoghurt. This never works for us though as she refuses to eat things with lumps in it ARGHHHHHH

What has worked for us is the repeated offering game. We believe that you really do have to offer a food up to a dozen times before they will try some. Can be frustrating and wasteful but we eat all the apples and banana's she rejects and the dog gets all the other nourishing, lovingly prepared casseroles etc that she also refuses.

It is frustrating but seemingly normal.

At the moment Riley will usually only eat meat patties (chicken or beef), vegetable patties, fish fingers and egg with toast fingers. Annoyingly enough she'll eat anything they put in front of her at daycare!

Soph
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents