Author Topic: Need some Help - Seperation Anxiety??  (Read 1072 times)

Offline NiknLily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 82
« on: November 21, 2006, 10:49:24 am »
Hi Ladies
My DD is 7.5months old and has for last month or so been nightmare to get to sleep at bedtime.  Bedtimes have been so easy since about 4months now there as bad as ever.  This all started when I had to change her bedtime routine to move her last feed to just before bed as she just wasn't hungry any earlier, then we had clocks changing, then we had bonfire night which lasted a couple of weeks.  One success I have managed to drop DF last weekend, which I did to try to increase day feeds as she was hardly taking anything at her mid morning and afternoon feed, these are now a little better so I am please with that.  The problem is she just cant/wont settle to sleep at bedtime, it is as tho she wants me to be there with her. 
This is our routine
7am BF
8/8.30 breakfast
9.15 nap
10.45/11 BF
12.30 lunch
1/1.15 nap
2.30/2.45 BF
4 dinner
4.30/4.45 catnap
5.15 wake, followed by bath, then time with mummy to look at books, lullaby music on.
6.30 BF
7pm bedtime
So I am pretty sure its separation anxiety as she cries until I pick her up then stops immediately then cries as she feels me moving to put her back down, I stay with her and she will whinge & fuss, cry, scream, babble, coo, blow raspberries etc all in varying amounts and order.  I use PU/PD only when she is really crying not just complaining about me not picking her up and this increases the longer it goes on as she gets more & more overtired.  Last night I even held her for maybe 10mins until she was really calm as I new she just wanted to be held by me, but I know I cant keep doing this as I will become her prop.
I dont really know if I'm doing things right, you start to question yourself after a while.  I have on occasion left her when she quiets but she will start to moan again and this escalates to full on mummy where are you crying so I always go back.  I have stopped doing this as I know it isn't helping but sometimes mummy needs to escape for few mins!
Sorry this is so long but can someone please tell me how I should be handling this, what I should be doing and in what order as its all getting a bit fuzzy being in the middle of it.
thanks in advance
newmum

Offline NiknLily

Re: Need some Help - Seperation Anxiety??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 17:04:04 pm »
OK so its getting worse, 2 days running now she has not gone down for catnap, as I type she is on my lap shredding any bits of paper she can lay her hands on!  Going to start bedtime routine in a short while and bring back bed time, only problem there is she wont take full feed earlier than 6.30 as will still be full from dinner and the last time I tried this when she skipped catnap she went down OK but woke 45mins later I think she thought it was her catnap and I needed to fill her up as we had only just dropped DF so I fed her and she went down in about 40mins after that.
So we will see what tonight brings.

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 10:37:17 am »
Thought I would update my post in case someone else comes looking with a similar problems.

Firstly I now think the catnap problem is not a problem as such, I thought about how much sleep she had had during the day and on both days she dropped catnap she had 2 naps of min1.5hrs-1.75hrs where as previously she would only take 1-1hr15Min's in the morning and 1.5hrs in afternoon, so I guess she had just got all the daytime sleep she needed.  In future when this happens I will just move the bedtime routine right down to when she should be going down for catnap and this seems to work, she even took a full feed 45Min's earlier than normal, in fact now I have dropped dream feed all her feeds have improved hugely.

Secondly with regard to bedtime separation anxiety.  What I have successfully done for last 2 nights is take her into her room and sit with her cradled in my arms and sing her lullaby over and over until she starts to turn her head into my body and arch her back, then continuing with lullably (theme from Winnie the pooh) I put her down in cot and finish lullaby, then I say night nights now my darling, mummy is right here.  after just a few squeaks she tries to go to sleep, sometimes successfully other times not, it frustrates her when sleep doesn't just happen so she gets a little more agitated but at no point did she really cry, if she gets to fussy I say 'its OK only night nights, mummy is here' this seems to calm her into having another go at sleep.  Either way she kept on looking up to see if I was still there, even when she had dropped of she would wake 10Min's later and look at me, then settle back down.  The first night took a little over an hour before she gave up and settled fully of to sleep, last night she was more fussy but she still managed to go off in just under an hour.  I'm hoping as she gets used to mummy still being there she will feel more confident and need to check less and less until hopefully she will once again be secure enough to just go of to sleep without me being there.

I think why I didn't try this technique at first and got a little lost is because it can really through you of course when they suddenly stop doing something they had been doing so well before.  I also think that in this situation PU/PD, which I swear by, was actually making things worse, because she wanted me to pick her up so calmed as soon as I did, but then was getting very annoyed at being put back down straight away.  It was as if she was learning that to stay in my arms she had to just keep crying and in this wound up overtired state sleep was nearly impossible until she had burnt herself right out and passed out.

I will update again soon with how its all working out.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 22:53:41 pm »
My goodness, these LOs can be mysterious eh? Sounds like you are doing great though. I was going to suggest that you stop the DF but you already did that  ;)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline M2L

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Tee hee hee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 00:25:41 am »
new mom, about the same happened to me with my DD at that age.  It wasn't a nightly occurence, but the same thing happened every so often.  If I used PU/PD, it only made things worse as she wanted to be held.  And I only held her for a few seconds, but every time I did, she wailed when I went to put her down.  So I had to cut that out!!  I am pretty sure that it was/is SA with Lindsay.  I had to keep my hand on her back until she went to sleep for about fifteen or so minutes for the first little while and now it only takes a few minutes, or I can even just go in and say "shhh" and she quiets down.  She will sometimes sit up in her crib and cry for me and I do PD, which works - BUT I DON'T PICK HER UP! 

Of course, she is teething now, so that is a whole other kettle of fish! ::)

Good luck!

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 13:15:54 pm »
Thank you for your reply LindsaysMum.  Things have certainly started to get better and she is settling without a lot of fuss at all, but it is still taking some time for her to get of to sleep.  As with yourself I think teething is having some effect and as she is starting to frequently drop her catnap now, even though she is going to bed 45min earlier she is still overtired by the time I get her to bed.  Now I am also noticing that she has started to wake up 15-30mins earlier which is having knock on effect on our whole day, so some serious tweaking is going to be required to sort this out.  I think the trouble is she was previously getting 12hrs sleep a night and I think its unrealistic to expect her to sleep any longer.
newmum x

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 15:37:32 pm »
I'm definitely not an EASY  expert (we are having to do our own tweeking right now), but do you think your lo can handle a bit more awake time, therefore eliminating the catnap completely?  My DS got rid of his around 6 months.

Offline NiknLily

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 16:50:38 pm »
I think I will have to drop the catnap, although I'm not sure how to make our day still work from 7am - 7pm, currently we seem to have hit the golden A time of 2hrs 20mins then she will nap for England! shes been doing 1hr 30 - 2hr naps twice a day.  I worked out that she would have to go 3hr A time without it effecting wake up or bedtime going someting like this
7am wake
10am nap
11.30 wake
2.30 nap
4.00 wake
7pm bedtime
but I doubt very much that if i extend her that much she will nap more than 45mins and then at a struggle.  I know I will have to extend slowly but thats still quite a large jump.  As I cant hold her back on our existing routine It seems my only option, oh well it might be sorted by the new year!
wish me luck
newmum x