Author Topic: not aiming for supermom, just a bit more balanced  (Read 1466 times)

Offline maggiemagoofsu

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
not aiming for supermom, just a bit more balanced
« on: November 21, 2006, 13:16:28 pm »
Hi,
I found the long post on activities for toddlers and I'm very eager to read through them all when I have a few minutes but I just wanted to post a quick question while I can... If you know where a similar post w/ answers are on here already, please feel free to just redirect me...

My question is 2-fold - my 23 month old has been sick for a long time & they're talking about putting tubes in his ears so I don't know if what I'm dealing with is him or his frequent illnesses... but my son does not want to play independently for anything more than maximum 5 minutes at a time.  This is not enough time for me to even get the smallest of chores done around the house.  I work full time and am trying to keep up with the house and my son's needs at the same time.  Dad is a big help but I still have plenty I need to do.  As it is I drop him off at his daycare a little earlier just so I can come back home & get something accomplished and get dressed "in peace" before work.  I'm usually late to work every day & I hate that but my boss is almost never there before me... I still feel guilty.  Like I said, I don't want to be supermom here, just some good quality time w/ son, get to work on time, and have a straightened/clean enough house to be sure that we're not going to trip or be sick all the time   ::)

I sense that I get frustrated w/ my son so easy when I'm not able to get the house reasonably clean.  I should also note that my son is a spirited/textbook and if I had to categorize us, mommy & daddy are both touchy.  Not a great combination at all times but we're working on it.

Thanks for any input & I'll be reading through the posts asap!!!

Offline maggiemagoofsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: not aiming for supermom, just a bit more balanced
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 13:24:53 pm »
Sorry, forgot to mention that when at all possible, I try to let him help me with chores... laundry, clean-up time.. that's about all he's able to do at this point..

Angel

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:53:27 am »
hi, i work full time 5 days a week, my ds is 22 months. i do understand how you feel ...

i have trained myself ...
- to do things as quickly as i can.. use a timer so you can see how much time you need for each job.
- no need to be perfect all the time.
- find things that helps to maximise my job e.g. cleaning wipes, have loads of storage ...etc.

and these routine helps ..
- in the morning, i brush my teeth, wash face..etc together with ds.
- we get dressed together, he will play on our bed when i get dress.
- my outfits don't require much ironing.
- do my make up on the way to work, or when i arrive work.

when i back home from work, i bath ds then we tidy up his toys together. so i have a fairly tidy living room after ds sleeps.

i leave most of the major housework for the weekend while dh look after ds.

hope this helps a little. i must admit i don't have a clean home all the time, i just keep reminding myself, "i am not a superwoman i am not a superwoman..... " LOL .......
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 16:09:16 pm by sa »
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:09:01 pm »
Alex is around the same age and I find that a sheet of paper and either crayons or glue with little bit of couloured paper to stick on the sheet of paper will keep her occupied for 10 minutes or so.  I know its not that long but it's a start.  She is sticker mad too and loves sticker books. HTH

Offline maggiemagoofsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:57:19 am »
Thank you both for your replies!  I thought I was nuts but I see that I'm not the only one who feels like this... It seems so obvious when talking to someone else about their stuff but when it's me I can't brainstorm solutions too well.  I actually watched my nephew today (18 months) in addition to my son and read through all of the toddler activities to prepare a list of things we could all do, but as it turns out, my son & nephew entertained themselves for long periods of time!!!  I was prepared to have a worn out cruddy day but as it turns out, I got a ton done around the house (thanks to the timer idea), got to relax when they napped, & got to play with them too!!!  Maybe this is a fluke or maybe this is a good time to re-visit having that 2nd baby...   ;D

Offline maggiemagoofsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:59:09 am »
stupid question, but how do you get the little ones to keep the glue or crayons from sticking & marking the furniture and other no-no's??

Alex is around the same age and I find that a sheet of paper and either crayons or glue with little bit of couloured paper to stick on the sheet of paper will keep her occupied for 10 minutes or so.  I know its not that long but it's a start.  She is sticker mad too and loves sticker books. HTH

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 09:40:15 am »
stupid question, but how do you get the little ones to keep the glue or crayons from sticking & marking the furniture and other no-no's??

Pritt Stick is what I use for glue.  and mostly we do arts and crafts in the kitchen, things wipe easier.  I do have rules, No Play dough is one of them, disgusting stuff, too messy and gets in the carpet.
You can buy plastic sheets and be at the ready with cloths all the time, but at least in the kitchen I can get on with a few jobs whilst they are busy!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 20:10:19 pm »
You can have him do messy activities in his high chair/booster seat and put a mat or some newspaper on the floor underneath the chair.  That way, anything messy goes on the tray which you can wipe clean (or you can cover it before you start) and anything that falls on the floor is easy to clean up.  Most of the stuff they make these days is non-toxic and won't stain things, but better to be safe.