Author Topic: Strawberry allergy?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline xfionax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • We are English living in Thailand
Strawberry allergy?
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:57:21 am »
My LO started solids at 6.5 months and so far we have had no problems. But the past week she has had little red spots under both eyes. They don't seem to bother her at all and otherwise she is fine. The only new food I can think of is strawberry. Does anyone know if a strawberry allergy would present in this way, or have any other ideas as to what it could be?
I have eczema and there is a strong family history of it but it doesn't look like eczema to me.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Strawberry allergy?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 16:10:57 pm »
Could be the strawberries - often doctors recommend avoiding berries until one year since they are a common allergen. You may want to avoid the berries and see if it clears up - you can always test again.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 16:12:48 pm »
My mother in law is allergic to strawberries, i tried to ring her but she isn't in, I will try later and let you know what happens to her.

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 16:37:59 pm »
It definately can be an allergy.  I think most source recommend waiting on berries.  I would suggest not giving any more and waiting a few more months to start again.

John showed signs of strawberry allergy too.  Even after waiting 12 months, he still would break out around his mouth. He outgrew it for the most part, but we still limit how much strawberry he can eat at one time.

carolyn
John's mommy :-)

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 16:39:50 pm »
It is recommended to wait until after a year. With berried in general, sometimes they are not allergic, but the juice irritates their skin, esp around the mouth

Offline Abby&Jeremys Sunshine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 17:22:13 pm »
My Abby is DEATHLY allergic to strawberries~ I carry Epipen in my purse, and home and daycare have one.

It presents as red splotches over the tummy first, then proceeds to the neck face and hands, and bloody hiney. It also in Abby causes something similar to anaphlactic shock ( hard time breathing etc..)

I had a hunch at 8 mths old that she was allergic as a rash presented after eating strawberry banana jar food, then at 1 an aunt fed her a strawberry on Christmas Day, needless to say me and my sister has to take her to the ER... was not pretty.

I would most definetly advise you to talk to her Dr. and get her tested ( skin scrape test, totally harmless :)

HTH :)

Nik~

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 18:46:09 pm »
My MIL has had it since she was a child and she comes out in a rash which ends up with her face swelling up. It also causes her to have trouble breathing. She is unable to eat anything containing strawberries, even strawberry jam and certain sweets.

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 19:09:17 pm »
Hi there!

Jessica had an allergic reaction to some stawberry yogurt I gave her when she was about 8 or 9 months old. I had forgotten the rule about no strawberries before a year rule. She got tiny red dots ALL over her body. I took her to the dr. There was nothing that they did for the rash...just told me to keep strawberries out of her diet.  She also has excema and has had a bad reaction to peanut butter as well (which she tried w/ dr's permission after she turned 1). 

BTW...her rash went away completely about 4-5 days after she had eaten the strawberries.

HTH...

Shelby

Offline xfionax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • We are English living in Thailand
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 04:02:21 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  ;D I didn't realise I was supposed to avoid them until 1 year. I'll definitely be keeping them out of her diet from now on. ;)