Author Topic: How many oz. for DF?  (Read 885 times)

Offline Sarahboosmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« on: November 22, 2006, 14:36:27 pm »
Hi ladies!

I have an 8 week old baby girl.  She was born at 38 weeks so she's 2 weeks early.  I'm not sure if I need to use a corrected age when doing things, ped. did not say anything.  So this is my thing, I started BW just a week ago and I'm having GREAT success.  Here is our EASY schedule.

E 7 am
A 7:45 am
S 8 am  (sometimes this nap is really short and she wakes up at 9:00)

E 10 am
A 10:45
S 11 am

E 1 pm
A 1:45
S 2 pm

E 4 pm
A 4:45
S 5 pm

E 7 pm
A 8:15 pm  includes bath and jammies
S 8:30 pm

DF 10:45-11pm

Night waking 4-5 am

Of course these times vary.  I've only added the DF for a little over the week and it eliminated our 1-2 am night waking so now we are only down to the one at 4-5am.  I'm having trouble lately with her eating at the DF.  When I first pick her up and put the bottle in her mouth she stays asleep and sucks vigorously at the bottle but then after about 2 oz she stops and will not take anymore.  She eats 4 oz per bottle during the day.  At her night waking she sometimes takes 2-3 oz and during a recent growth spurt she took a full bottle!  How much are they supposed to eat during a DF?  Is 2 oz okay or should I un-swaddle her to stir her a bit to take more?  She sleeps so soundly swaddled and after her bath at night.  She's a good night sleeper. 

My other question is how long before they eliminate the night waking for food?  When should I start giving her a paci instead of a bottle?  She wakes up consistantly at 4 am, so is this hunger or habit at 8 weeks?  Last night her DF was only 1.5 oz after 45 minutes of trying to get her to eat, she actually spit out most of what I gave her.  I don't mean spit up, I mean she spit it out with her tounge and let it all fall out of her mouth.  She woke up at 3:30 instead of the normal 4 am.  She only took 2 oz if that. 

Recent changes:  Just started daycare on Monday.  They try their best to accomodate my schedule but they are reading her signs wrong and feeding her when she should be sleeping etc.  For example yesterday I woke her up at 6:45am to eat, changed her and dropped her off at daycare at 8:15 am.  So she had eated, had awake time and I told the lady to swaddle her and put her down for her nap.  On the sheet they gave me she fed her at 8:35am!  Right after I left!  Then she slept until 10 am, they didn't feed her until 11:30 then she slept from 12:30-1:30pm then they didn't feed her until 2:30.  Then I arrived at 4 pm and she just woke up from a nap and was crying her hunger cry.  I took her home and fed her and she took the whole bottle then I put her down at 5:30 and I had to wake her up at 7:30 for bedtime and bath.  I'm surprised that she was hungry at 4 being that she just ate at 2:30.  Is it because she is used to my schedule and not going by hunger?  She was making her hunger cry definately.  Plus she ended up getting an extra feed at 8:30 am when the lady fed her instead of putting her to bed, I wouldn't think that she would be that hungry at 4pm. 

Her type is a cross between spirited and touchy.  She is doing very well adjustment wise at day care.  I was afraid with her lack of naps there that I would have an overtired cranky baby but when I put her down for her nap here at home she actually goes down easy with some pat/shh she is usually out in 20 minutes!  Very unsual for her.  They have her up for extended periods of activity too, one time was over 3 hours of awake time!!!!!! 

Any advice on the DF?  How much should they take etc.

Thanks,
Sarahboosmom

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: How many oz. for DF?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 17:50:35 pm »
Hi there - you're doing FABULOUS at 8 weeks! I would have given anything for Colin to be sleeping so well at that age. You truly are having great success and it sounds like you know your DD and her signs well, good for you!

I'm not an expert with dreamfeeds as I could never do one, but my advice to you would be that if she's only waking once after that then don't change a thing. If it's not broken then don't fix it - and I don't think it's broken.  :)

As for the other night feed though, you have months to go before she will be ready to drop that. Most LOs need a night feed (even in addition to the DF) for quite a while, like 6 or 7 mo. and some even up around a year. That's totally normal. You'll know when she's ready to drop it - she won't take much and will eat slowly, not enthusiastically. That sort of thing.

I think the daycare people need a little time to get to know her - have you written out the routine for them? If not, definitely do that and make sure that they know what to look for as far as her signs go.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o