Author Topic: Please, please help 16 mo twin sleep at night  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
Please, please help 16 mo twin sleep at night
« on: November 22, 2006, 14:41:39 pm »
Hi guys,

My DS is 16 mo and he is spirited and has always been a poor sleeper.  But now it's RIDICULOUS!!!!  He has all of his teeth (other than 2 yr molars which are a ways off yet) so I know it's not teething.  I'm almost certain it's separation anxiety.  He is very clingy during the day and when he wakes at night he eventually resettles himself but only if I lay on the floor in front of his crib or if I bring him into the pack and play set up in our room.  We've been opting for the pack and play lately because a) he'll wake his twin if we try to resettle him in the nursery and b) I'm exhausted and can't stand laying on the hardwood floor in front of his crib for 2+ hrs. and c) He resettles MUCH more quickly in the pack and play in our room.  Here's what his waking "looks" like...generally he sleeps with occasional brief wakings until somewhere between midnight and 1am.  When he wakes during this hour, he is quite hysterical.  He stands immediately and is looking towards the door, waiting for me to show up.  The wakings in the earlier part of the evening (if there are any) are different than this.   He is easy to resettle at those times with simply a pat, or a shush.  We do not pick him up.  At midnight/1am though, he just gets more and more hysterical the more we do p/d.  Sometimes I'll be successful at getting him back to sleep but then 10 minutes later he's awake again, checking on me to make sure I haven't snuck out.  You'd think he'd get the idea....that I'm not going anywhere and he's safe but he just doesn't seem able to start trusting.  I've done nothing to break that trust.  Never done CIO.  I just feel like he's adamant that he wants to come into our room into the pack and play and he won't let up until I do that.  Problem is, I honestly don't have the strength right now to lay on his floor night after night for hours on end.  We've tried that for as long as a week.  It showed no signs of working.  Do you guys have a suggestion for how to stop him from waking in the first place?  I tried WTS the other night but the problem is the time he wakes isn't consistent.  Can WTS be successful if the usual waketime varies by as much as an hour?

I'm seriously at my wit's end.  If you need me to post routine I will but I won't bother unless you think it's necessary.  Basically they both wake for the day between 6 and 7, they are starting to consistently have just one nap 11:30 -1 or noon - 1:30 and then they're asleep by 7:30.

Thanks so much...

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: Please, please help 16 mo twin sleep at night
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 14:45:41 pm »
Hi Sarah, when did this start?  Did something happen to start this off that you can think of?
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 17:06:02 pm »
Could he be overtired? If he's only getting a 1.5 hour nap and then up for 6-6.5 hours, that's a really long time before bed. Can you extend his nap and/or get him to bed earlier for the night?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 20:32:45 pm »
It looks to me as health related. The restless sleep before 1 am shows that he's not having deep sleep cycles and then waking for good at 1 am might show he's on some type of discomfort. Was he a refluxer as a baby? has he had gas/gastrointestinal issues throughout his life? might be worth a check on this and his eating habits. He might be having problems with diggestion and then it escalades to poor sleep and then an overtired baby that won't settle for sleep. Sometimes refluxers are taken off meds at 1 year and then get another spurt around 14 mos and need to be put back on meds till 18-20 months.

Sometimes is the cows milk they start getting at 12 mos. Check on this and if health is cleared out, we'll think in another direction.

HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 20:34:48 pm »
I think you should also try for an earlier bedtime for him and see if that helps

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 17:16:24 pm »
Thanks guys - didn't see these replies until just now (mommybrain!) - posted again just a few minutes ago with a new post.  Sorry for any confusion!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 20:52:59 pm »
Hi, I know that you have plenty of help and I would just like to add that it does seem a long time between nap wake up and bed time.  Try to get the gap nearer 5 hours from nap wake up until bedtime, I would go for a later nap time if you can, perhaps he might have a longer nap for you.  Good Luck