Author Topic: wi/wo and naps  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Isaacsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 23, 2006, 15:24:14 pm »
I've started using wi/wo for my 13 month year old son at night - should we try to sort out his naps at the same time? He just won't sleep in his  cot in the daytime at all, and will only fall asleep in the car/buggy. My husband has been looking after him full time since March, and he has always got him to sleep in his chair (I have tried to get him to put Isaac in the cot, but let's not go there ...) which he refuses to do now.

If we use wi/wo in the day and at night together, will it be too much? is it better to wait until the night sleeps are sorted?

I'm dreading tonight ....

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: wi/wo and naps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 15:45:57 pm »
Hi there

We also started using wi/wo with our 13 month old dd and have been using this method for approximately 3 weeks.  It has been going well. We are still not 100% there yet, but we keep trying ::)

I did wi/wo for both naps and bedtime.  My opinion is that you should do it for both as the main thing is to be consistent.  If you are doing something different for naps then bedtime, or vice versa, you aren't being consistent.  Hang in there :-*It may be a little rough in the beginning, but you will be glad that you stuck with it.

The main thing is that you dh will need to be consistent with this approach while he is watching him.  If he isn't, you won't get the results you had hoped for.

HTH's and let me know how things go :-*

Offline Isaacsmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 16:56:05 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply Sydney - I will let my other half know that he is NOT to waiver from the wi/wo rules! Apparently isaac screamed for an hour today  :-[ so Neil wasn't very successful! How long did you try to get your lo to nap each day before giving it up as a bad job? Dh started late today, so he is going to start earlier tomorrow. I'm not sure if trying for 3 hours is very helpful ....

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 20:09:05 pm »
I can only suggest to start naptime 30 mins before his usual time to give him enough time to get the idea that he's not going out of his crib but also to avoid overtiredness. I agree with Sydney, the more consistant you are at sleep times the sooner you'll start seeing results. Although it takes a lot of patience and strenght to hold on... I'm sure it won't be 3 hours tough if you keep at it. Good luck and many hugs!!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Isaacsmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 14:25:43 pm »
Hmm routine... as far as I can see (my husband looks after ds during the week) there is no nap routine. Dh tries to get Isaac asleep if he looks tired, often by walking him up and down! This tends to be either late morning or mid afternoon. However, some days Isaac doesn't appear tired at all (although I'm sure he is)

His daily routine at the moment is:

7-730 wake up
8.00 Breakfast
1pm Lunch (we are trying to get him to eat earlier now, so more like 1230)
5pm Dinner
6-630pm Bath (somewhere in between these times not for 30 minutes!)
630 - 7pm Bed

When I'm home, I usually try and take him for a walk/drive in the morning/afternoon and he will sleep for about an hour. Oh dear - how disorganised we sound.

Offline Isaacsmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:32:20 am »
Thanks everyone for the advice - but I'm totally excited to say that Isaac fell asleep for his nap in less than a minute on Saturday and Sunday! I couldn't believe it! Wi/wo is working at night too - he's slept through for 3 nights running now, and last night, I didn't even have to go out of the room and return - he just lay down and let me cover him over, and I left! I could hear through the monitor that he wasn't yet asleep, so he's clearly understands that he can go to sleep on his own now.

Wow wow wow - I hope this keeps up! He's so much happier for the past few days due to the sleep he's getting too.

Everyone doing wi/wo - keep it up! It really really does work! My son has gone for a nap in his cot on his own approx 3 times in his life up to now. You CAN teach a toddler to take naps!

I'll let you know how my husband gets on with the naps this week - I'm hoping that it doesn't disrupt ds's brilliant work up to now.

Good luck to everyone

x :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 19:54:46 pm »
Wohooo! congratulations on a brilliant job!!!!!! Well done Isaac! I think you deserve some chocolate now... just don't tell mommy that i said that LOL! Crossing fingers for this week!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake