Author Topic: Allergy to tomato  (Read 1685 times)

Offline knackered

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
Allergy to tomato
« on: November 23, 2006, 15:53:47 pm »
I'm pretty certain that my 11 month DS is allergic to tomatoes - his skin gets red around his mouth when tomato touches it, though it doesn't seem to bother him and there are no other symptoms. I guess this means I should avoid tomatoes? Does anyone know whether this means that he'll always be allergic to tomatoes or will he grow out of it?

Thanks
Anna x
Anna x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Allergy to tomato
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 16:45:40 pm »
It could be an allergy but could also just be that he has sensitive skin and the juice in the tomatoes bothers him. If he has no other symptoms at all then I wouldn't worry about it.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Nancyella

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sunshine of my life
Re: Allergy to tomato
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 13:03:23 pm »

Ella is the same! The problem is Tomato is her absolute favourite food. But just like your son, the redness around her mouth seems to be the only symptom.

Lately tho since a bad cold, she has had a really horrible rash around her mouth. I thought it was just because she had had the cold and was also teething, but it has been a good few weeks now and it's still bad.  A friend of mine said it could be exma (Spelt totally wrong I know!) and that I shouldnt use the cream I got from the dr as she has done extensive research into it and steriod creams 'push' the problem into the body instead of allowing it to come out, which in turn can lead to other allergic problems in the future such as asthma.  As my husband and i are both ashmatics, this worries me. She suggests Aloe Vera gel. I live in France and the shop is shut today but I will go in tomorrow and get some. I just wanted to know if anyone had any input.  It seems worse when her skin is wet. She's also licking round her mouth alot which doesn't help!  I have been laying off the tomatoes (which is really hard as I normally use them to bargin with her to eat other things) and I have been trying to give her pure and simple foods without the added extras, but no joy so far.  Can anyone help?