Author Topic: Too short A time before morning nap for a 6 month old  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Fudge

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Too short A time before morning nap for a 6 month old
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:41:08 am »
My LO is 6 months & 2wks and has always had a very short time awake before her mornong nap.She wakes between 6 & 6.30am then quietly plays in her cot till 7am, when she shouts out to me.Shes fed a bottle then and is back to bed at 8am ish.I can't keep her up any longer as shes yawning and fussing and I can't give her breakfast solids as shes not hungry before going back to sleep.It throws off all her daytime routine and naps.

7am Bottle
7.15am A
8am S
9am Breakfast
8.30am A
10.45am Bottle
11am S
12 noon Lunch
2pm S
3pm Bottle
3.15 A
5.30pm bath
6pm Bottle & Bed

She also dropped her catnap a month ago as she fought it so much, this means a struggle to keep her going late pm and an earler bedtime.
 I tried adding time onto her morning A time, but she gets overtired and struggles to sleep.
 Do you think she'll grow out of this and be able to stay up longer soon?Shes always been a bit behind for her age in being able to stay awake.

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Too short A time before morning nap for a 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:47:18 am »
Each LO is different.... you need to adjust your routine base on your LO's needs. Have you tried to wind her down 5-10 min. later than you usually do and slowly extend your A time.

Offline rebecaq

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:34:41 pm »
I agree with litmomi, every baby has their own time of routines. I do also agree in extending her A time with a longer wind-down or making things more low key towards the end. The first am nap becomes an extension of their nighttime sleep if it's too close to the time they wake and can throw your whole day off.

As for the catnap, me ds NEVER did the catnap, so they afternoon was rather he!!ish here in our house.  I eventually had "super duper quiet time" ( silly name I know, dh came up with it  ::)  ) where I would sit in his room hos the lights down low and just sing lullabyes or read a story.  I would not shush or try to get him to sleep. We just had as low a key activity possible to give him a chance to get his bearings again and make it to dinner/bath time in a good mood. 

HTH

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline Fudge

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 19:15:05 pm »
The first am nap becomes an extension of their nighttime sleep if it's too close to the time they wake and can throw your whole day off.

Yes, thats what is happening here as she doesn't seem to enjoy that period of A time, because she wants to be back in bed!Even though she has already had 12+ hours of nightime sleep and will take another 2.5 hours of naps in the day ???. I'll try and take the wind down time a bit slower by a few mins a day and see how I get on.
Thanks for your replies.

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 20:02:23 pm »
Let us know how it goes!  :-*

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 20:15:15 pm »
Fudge,

My DS was exactly the same, and at this age he was also back in bed about an hour and quarter after he had been awake.  We were lucky in one respect that he would eat his breakfast straight after his bottle.  Have you though about trying to offer 1/2 the bottle when she wakes, then breakfast, and the other 1/2 of the bottle when she wakes up after her nap?

My DS grew out of the short A time at around 7.5 months, and was able to push his nap back to about 10:00am

HTH's

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Fudge

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 21:41:19 pm »
Thanks TOM TOM'S MUM,
 Its great to hear of another LO who had the same problem and knowing that she'll grow out of it fairly soon is good to hear.She never finishes her 1st bottle, so I could try and offer breakfast then.I'll give it go tomorrow along with trying to gradually extend the A time.   

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 20:59:58 pm »
Keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula x

Offline Fudge

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 21:13:59 pm »
I couldn't extend her 1st 'A' time today as its always my husband's turn to do the mornings with LO at the weekends and I get a lie in ;) (its hard enough to get him to do it at all without asking him to change the routine).I'm going to try it on Monday, when its just the 2 of us.However, we did manage to extend her bedtime from 6pm to 6.45pm tonight, so I'm hoping that'll mean waking a little later in the morning and might help the timings during the day.You never know!

binxyboo

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 21:17:54 pm »
Riley always had a short first A time, which didn't start to stretch out until about ten months, I think. If I tried to keep him up longer, he would just cry and then not nap well at all. He would usually sleep for around two hours. Sometimes he would be back asleep within an hour of waking up! Sleep research has shown that the type of sleep in the morning nap is more like night sleep, and has a different quality of sleep than the pm nap. I found that interesting, and believe it as Riley was usually easy to settle for bed and am nap as cpmpared to the pm nap. Of course, I realize other factors come into play.

When he was that young, I often felt I didn't benefit from that nap as he was only awake for such a brief period on the mornings, and then asleep again. It would have suited me better if he would have napped later in the moring, then I would have felt as though I were getting a break!Selfish, I know....

Offline Fudge

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 21:39:49 pm »
Sleep research has shown that the type of sleep in the morning nap is more like night sleep, and has a different quality of sleep than the pm nap. I found that interesting, and believe it as Riley was usually easy to settle for bed and am nap as cpmpared to the pm nap.

Thats interesting binxyboo, because my LO also settles really well for her morning nap and not so well in the afternoon.I tend to get my breakfast & shower during that nap, so its not so bad for me.I get more frustrated in the late afternoon when she won't take a catnap and gets really fussy, also I hardly get a chance to make the dinner! ::)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 21:53:06 pm »
They say that the morning nap is more like an extension of their night sleep, that is why it is so easy to settle them when they go down for this nap.

binxyboo

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 22:05:22 pm »
I read it in 'Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. it's my sleep bible! He founded the original sleep disorders clinic in the US. I would recommend it to anyone for an interesting read.

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 06:32:05 am »
Wow... that's very interesting. My spirited LO sometimes can stay awake for 3hrs after a long sleep in the night. Her morning naps are usually not long, 45min-1hr, but takes long afternoon naps.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 09:47:30 am »
Hi, just wanted to say that I am having the same problem with my lo. She will wake around 6 (although sometimes can be as early as 5.30am) and will start showing tired signs as early as 7.30. I have been taking both girls out in the mornings just to be able to stretch her A time till at least 8.30 but sometimes its really hard and she's in bed and asleep by 8. It throws the whole day off and she ends up crashing by 5.30pm. I cannot wait for her A time to increase so that I shouldn't have to keep her awake against her wishes in the morning and at other times of the day. In fact, I can't wait for her to cut down to 2 naps, at least, or better yet just the 1 nap (to coinside with dd1's nap).  ;D.

Binxyboo - I absolutely love "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child". I think its an excellent book and it really helped me with both girls (minus the cio of course). I never would have thought sleep/or lack of wouls/could have had the effects it does on our lo's

Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Fudge

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 13:58:38 pm »
 Just a quick update on what happened when I put her to bed at 6.45pm(45 mins later thatn normal), she woke up starving at 5am!Of course that means her whole day is now messed up, so I hope tomorrow is a bit more normal and I can start from scratch.

Isabella&Jasmine's mum-your LO does sound the same as mine, what time are her other naps in the day?Also, when she wakes at 6am, do you feed her then or is she happily playing in her cot for a while like mine?

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 19:56:42 pm »
I am sorry to hear that your day started so early  :-\

Did you cluster feed before bed?

Do you offer a dreamfeed?

Paula x

Offline Fudge

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 20:48:00 pm »
No, I don't cluster or dream feed as shes never really been an early waker before.Shes only done this a few times in the last few weeks.The clocks in the here went back an hour, a few weeks ago and thats when she started earlier betimes and early waking.Tonight I manged to get a nap at 3.30pm till 4.50pm and so her bedtime was later at 7pm.Things get so messed up and no day is the same when she wakes so early.Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

binxyboo

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 21:01:03 pm »
Yeah it really is a great book, full of reassuring info. I think it does get a bad reputation as he does mention CIO and CC, which of course does not tie in with BW philosophy,but also swings to the other extreme too of the family bed. But just for the sleep research it was amazing. Very reassuring esp during the early months when naps are a trial
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 21:07:53 pm by binxyboo »

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 21:04:53 pm »
Keep us posted on how your night goes.

Offline Fudge

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 08:43:54 am »
Well, I'm pleased to report that after a 7pm bedtime, she woke at 6am and babbled/played in her cot untill 6.55am.I then gave her a bottle and gave her some activity time on her playmat with her toys.I was going to try and give her some breakfast at 7.55am, but she yawned and I didn't want to get her over-tired.I took her upstairs,changed her nappy and laid her on my bed while I got dressed, which meant she actually went to bed at 8.10am, 2 hours 10 mins from when she woke up!I'm very pleased with that and will try to gradually extend it over the next few days, by a fews mins.
 Thanks everyone for your support, this is a great website ;D

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 12:01:32 pm »
Stay with this routine for 2-3days, then extend.... don't try to extend A time everyday.

Offline Fudge

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 14:39:33 pm »
OK litomi , I'll do that.I don't want to ruin it now.Thanks.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 20:02:04 pm »
That is fantastic news about your night - YAY!!!

I agree with Litomi, stick with it for a few days before you increase A time again.

Keep us posted.