Author Topic: What to do when w2s doesn't work for habitual waking?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Stephanies Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What to do when w2s doesn't work for habitual waking?
« on: November 27, 2006, 00:59:40 am »
Hello,
I had some night waking issues which I was able to resolve by going to a 4 hr easy a few weeks ago although my LO will still wake around 4- 4.30 am.  The only way she falls back asleep is if I give her my breast- I have been able to get her down to one minute of breastfeeding and then I can put her back in her crib, she'll give a mantra cry, put her thumb in her mouth and doze back off.  I've tried w2s (reswaddled at 3.20 am the past 2 nights but she only wakes a little later; she woke at 4.45 the first night and 5 am the second.)  Do I continue with w2s? What other options are there to break her from this habit (I don't her to cry it out)?  During her daytime naps she will wake but can put herself back to sleep so I'm not sure why she can't do this at night.  Shh/pat doesn't work (she's grown to hate that since 8 weeks of age and just cries harder) and when I pick up her up she nuzzles and cries until I give her my breast.
I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks,
Dottie

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: What to do when w2s doesn't work for habitual waking?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:04:12 am »
How old is your LO?
How do you do W2S and how long before she usually wakes do you do it?
Have you had anyone else try instead of you? as she can smell your breastmilk someone else might be better able to settle her.
Kimberly

Offline Stephanies Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: What to do when w2s doesn't work for habitual waking?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 14:53:34 pm »
Hi Kimberly,

She is 16 weeks today.  I had gotten up at 3.20 am to do the w2s as she would wake between 4-4.30.  I reswaddle her in her crib and rub her belly a little until she stirs/tosses her head back and forth.  She tosses her head when she doesn't want to wake up...does this after DF when I change her diaper.  Last night when I came down to do the w2s she was already fussing/stirring/finding her thumb at 3.20 so I left her be and then she started to cry at 3.45 (when I just got settled back to bed) so I fed her for a moment and off to sleep she went.  She then stirred a couple of other times but never cried and I got her up at 7.  The other 2 nights she didn't stir (or not enough for me to be aware of.)  I've been the only one to try the w2s...I could have my husband give it a try later this week (traveling for work this week.)

Some background on our days: We get up at 7 and she eats about every 4 hours.  Her first activity lasts until 8.45 and she will usually sleep until ~10.30.  Her second nap varies, yesterday it was 1 1/2 hours but the day before it was 30 minutes because we were out.  Sometimes if we are out she will be up 3 hours and will take a 20 minute snooze in the car.  Her "catnap" or 3rd nap varies too depending on what her 2nd nap was like.  She will typically stir ~45 minutes into her longer naps, fuss/cry (but not a real cry) and usually falls back to sleep.  She is almost always cranky after her 3rd nap until it is bedtime (7.30 pm) although she loves bathtime and is fine while she is fed.  She had been crankier than usual yesterday after her second and third naps and I fed her early both times because nothing else would stop her crying and she would suck on the pacifier really hard.  We weaned her off the paci during sleep times because it never stays in her mouth and then she cries, we plug her, it falls out, and it was interfering with her falling asleep.  Do they have a 4 month growth spurt?

Dottie