Author Topic: formula or cow's milk?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline minmin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
formula or cow's milk?
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:43:53 am »
my LO is 14 months,and still drink 250ml formula at afternoon/ b4 bed....I just wondering can I give him cow's milk to replace formula?

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Re: formula or cow's milk?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
As far as I know, peds recommend cow's milk from 12 MO

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 15:04:02 pm »
hi, my ds 22 months still on follow-on formula and actually no plan when to switch.

why peds recommend cow's milk instead?
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 15:37:12 pm »
Whole milk contain everything that is neccessary at that age. If you make the switch, you might want to do it gradually so your lo had time to get used to the new taste, and to give his system time to get used to it.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 20:29:11 pm »
Yes, you can give cows milk as a drink to your Lo from 12 months, here is a discussion thread about different ways we have all successfully done it.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65759.0

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline Nay - Mateo's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Spirited Angel...Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 00:04:50 am »
Hiya!

We started cow's milk (organic whole milk) at around 10.5 months. Here in Canada we are told we can go ahead and introduce milk just a tad before the 12 month mark. Anyway, we introduced it in a sippy during meals at first, then we moved it to the bottle. Now he gets 2 full milk bottles during the day and still gets a full 8oz bottle of formula before bed. Although he's not a picky eater, I like the idea of topping him up on all "nutrients, vitamins and minerals" at the end of the day.
I'm going to continue to do formula at night until he refuses it.

HTH

Nay

fifibobandmore

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 22:05:21 pm »
Follow on milk does not have all the vitams, minerals and nutrients that a 12 month old needs. I never has the problem with formula as for personal reasons I refused to give my daughter any formula she was on breastmilk until she was 12months when I introduced full fat cows milk and took away the breast milk when she was 17 months. But my son did have formula from when he was 7 months as he now has a load of food allergies which means I have to make all his meals from 100% fresh food so if he would like chicken nuggets I have to spend the whole morning mincing the chicken,shaping it and then bread crumbing it with home-made bread made that morning. As if I give him shop bought chicken nuggets it puts him in an asthma attack. He was on follow on milk from 10 months until he was 18 months. I would hate this to happen to somebody elses child as you are always in the kitchen making home-made food which even the new school meals in the UK are not made on the school grounds they still come frozen which means my son still can not stay at school for his dinners.

Alison Reed
mother of 2
Ryan - Asthmatic but very active (15/02/2002)
Loren - Cerebellar tonsils, night waker but also very active
Baby number 3 due 19/07/2007 (Fingers crossed)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 07:52:29 am »
Follow on milk does not have all the vitams, minerals and nutrients that a 12 month old needs.

Follow-on milk is an iron enriched formula suitable from 6 months until 2 years of age, designed specifically to complement a varied weaning diet.

Lauren x