Author Topic: Weaning from Lactofree Formula to Cow's Milk  (Read 824 times)

Offline geoffreyandme

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
Weaning from Lactofree Formula to Cow's Milk
« on: November 27, 2006, 18:36:41 pm »
I am desparate for advice. My LO is 13 months and I need to start weaning to cow's milk, but i am very apprehensive because he was diagnosed with being lactose intolerant at 3 months and has been on lactose free formula (Enfamil Lactofree) since then. I live in Ireland where we don't have Lactaid Milk or other lactose free milk options! The doctor doesn't seem to be of any help as he doesn't have alot of experience with it. DS basically had bloating and constipation with my breastmilk and milk based formulas which is how the diagnosis came about (i have the same issues with milk products). He also suffered from reflux until 10 months of age.
Has anyone been through this? Should I just try him and see how it goes? Many times the intolerance corrects itself they say. Then, how do you introduce the milk into the diet? He doesn't seem to have a problem with yogurt, milk based cereals but cheese blocks him up pretty bad.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jennifer :o :o

Offline Magscd72

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Weaning from Lactofree Formula to Cow's Milk
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 16:32:49 pm »
Hi Jennifer, Im not sure how good with the advice I can be, however, my LO, was diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance at 3 months too.  He was prescribed LF baby formula until he was about 15 months.

I Tried then to start using normal cows milk but he was like your LO and became quite bloated and constipated or had nasty diahorrea within days of trying.

I have managed to find a lactose free semi-skimmed milk called 'Lactolite' which is normally with the cartoned milk in the supermarkets here in the UK, not with the fresh milk.

It has been a real success, its something like 95% LF so he seems to be fine on it and he's now 28months old.

I hope you can find something that your LO can have as a replacement or your LO may be ok with the normal Cows milk, you could try with little amounts at first and see how it goes.

I know its worrying, I was the same. Hope it goes ok for you :)

Offline geoffreyandme

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 16:50:05 pm »
Thank you for your thoughtful reply Mags. I can't seem to find any LF milk here, it's unbelievable. I guess I will try the regular and see how it goes...I don't want to go with the soy milk because it's so high in sugar! I know there is the drops you can put into the milk which I will try too if he doesn't tolerate the regular milk, but i don't think those work too well (it didn't really work for him before).
It's nice just to know we're not alone!
Thanks again.
Jennifer

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 17:49:33 pm »
Personally, I'd try the soy milk - I don't think the sugar content is a big issue and some doctors actually prefer soy milk to cow's milk.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lindy Loo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 12:41:50 pm »
Hi Jennifer

Have you tried Rice milk?  its generally not as sweet as Soya Milk although some brands of soya are sweeter than others so worth comparing. 

Have you asked your health visitors about this at all ?  (We're lucky here that our HV is full of great information)

Lin