Author Topic: Waking before Dreamfeed 3x in a row!  (Read 998 times)

Offline traineeparent

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 28, 2006, 00:38:53 am »
My DD has woken 3 nights in a row before the dream feed.   This has happened before but never 3 nights in a row.  I usually DF at 11pm but have been experimenting with the time because she’s waking before it at least once a week now for the last 3 weeks or so.  It’s a mantra cry not a hunger cry.  3 nights ago she woke at 10pm which also happened to be 45 mins after getting to sleep. I had a hard job getting her to sleep that night.  Not sure why, she didn’t seem overtired, I think perhaps she was too hot, then got really upset and overtired. Normally she goes to bed about 7.30pm.  For the last month I’ve been working on getting her to put herself to sleep and with the odd exception that’s been working really well.  (Previously I was shush-patting her all the way to sleep for naps and nighttime and I’d be in there for 20-40 mins).   
So 3 nights in a row:
-  1st night, she woke at 10pm which also happened to be 45 mins after getting to sleep
- 2nd night, she woke at 8.15, 45 mins after getting to sleep.  I shushed her back to sleep easily (to my surprise).  Then she woke at 10.35.  It wasn’t a hunger cry but I fed her cos I figured by the time I got her back to sleep it might be past 11pm. 
- Last night I was just about to go in and DF her when she woke at 10.20.  I tried shush-pat for all of 2 minutes before giving up and feeding her. 

Am I teaching her that she needs the breast to resettle?  Should I just feed her or attempt to resettle and feed later?  What time am I supposed to do the DF?  She does a mantra cry which then becomes emotional.    Help!! 

Previously if she woke before the DF, I did the DF the next night 15 mins before she woke and then went back to 11pm and it didn’t happen again.  I wouldn’t mind doing it at 10:30 and getting to bed earlier.

(We’ve come back from a long weekend away – last weekend – and the night we got back she woke at 1, 4, 6, so maybe she’s still getting over that??  She’s also woken at 5:50am a few nights this week (not this morning) and I’ve fed her when she got worked up – about 6.15.   Thought it was a hunger cry but realised later it was only a mantra cry – I still get confused cos the “coughing” sound is a bit similar…….  I BF both sides and she only took one side and didn’t seem ravenous.   Usually she used to stir about 6:15 and go back to sleep and I’d wake her at 7, or often she’d wake up again just before 7).

I’d be grateful for any help

How old is your child? 5 months (22 weeks)
What’s his/her daily routine?   See below

What’s nap routine? Same as bedtime routine (without feed) see below.

How long are naps?
Often still 35-40 mins.  A few are now 1.5 hrs but only happens occasionally.
What's bedtime routine?
Bath, go to bedroom, close curtains, play lullaby music, feed, swaddle, sit on my knee few mins. Bed. 
Time? 7-7.30
Do you bottle or breastfed?? BF
How much?  or how long? 
Usually 15-20 mins in total.  But takes most of it in about 3-5 mins each side. 
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
Both sides always.
How many wakes per night? Usually no wake-ups.  But lately – wake at 10pm-ish and 5.50am.
What’s your LO like when waking at night? 10pm – upset.  How long is he/she up? I do DF early.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying?  Or is it a mantra cry?
Starts as mantra cry.  Try to wait till real cry till go to her.
What have you tried to settle??
Shush pat.
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
Quiet in morning.  play while I have shower.  Other times – play gym, play with toys. Look out window.  Mother’s group.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
Has just found her feet. No evidence of her playing with feet in bed.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
No
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? No
Do they have a lovie?No

What’s his/her daily routine?
The routine varies a lot at the moment due to erratic length of naps.   I’m moving her to 3.5 hr EASY.  She can definitely go 3.5 between feeds most times.  I’m watching her tired signs carefully and put her down as soon as she’s tired (especially while I was sleep training her). “A” time is usually about 1.75 hrs.

Yesterday the first 2 naps were 1.25 hrs (by herself - I didn’t extend). Feeds were at 7.10, 10.55, 2.30, 5.35, 6.30 (topup) bed at 7.

Here’s a typical day at present. 
   7 wake up, change nappy
E 7:15
A 7.45
S 8.30 start wind-down. (Asleep 8.50, Slept 40 mins)
Awake, A 9.30
E 10.45
A 11.15
S 11.45 start wind-down (Asleep 12.20, Slept 35 mins)
Awake, A 12.55
E 1.25
A 1.55
S 2.25 start wind-down  (Asleep 2.45,  Slept 1.5 hrs – I extended nap with shpat)
Awake, A 4.20
E 5.05
A 5.35
(Sometimes will have a catnap, depends on time of last waking and naps so far)
Bath 6.05
E 6.35 feed (top-up)
S 6.55 Start wind-down  (In bed 7pm. Asleep 7.15)
E 10.35 Dream Feed
She woke 5.50am in morning.  Fed at 6.20 (not sure if was really hungry).

Before moving towards 3.5 hr EASY, the routine was:
   7 wake up, change nappy
E 7:15
A 7.45
S 8.30 (45 mins)
A 9.30
E 10.00
A 10.30
S 11.30 (45 mins)
A 12.30
E 1.00
A 1.30
S 2.15  (45 mins)
A 3.15
E 3.30
A 4.00
S 5.00 (45 mins)  Doesn't always have this nap if too overtired and hard to settle.
E 6.00
A 6:30 bath
E 7.00 feed (usually small top-up)
S 7:30.
E 11 Dream Feed

Offline murkywaters

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Waking before Dreamfeed 3x in a row!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 00:44:31 am »
Mine did that waking before I went in for the DF so I just fed him then and then I got to go to bed a bit early.   ;) Never made a difference with us at all. He slept through till morning from 2months till he was 14 months old.  Then things fell apart!  But we're getting back on track now. 
Mommy to Kyle July 2005
Mommy to Keira Aug 2006

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Waking before Dreamfeed 3x in a row!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 23:39:06 pm »
I think that you should consider moving to 4 hour easy. The short naps are likely causing wakings as well, since she's surely overtired. Are they always so short?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline traineeparent

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:15:09 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I've been trying to move to a 3.5 hr EASY but I think she could go to a 4 hr EASY since she can easily go 3.5 hrs between feeds most days.  She's done 45 mins naps since she was 9 weeks old! I didn't have the energy back then to try to fix it then - it took me ages to just settle her in the first place.  (Then we had family to stay for a month and holidays....)   In the last month I've been working on getting her to go to sleep by herself and that's going really really well now (most days).  I didn't want to extend her awake time while doing that - I went purely on tired signs.

A couple of days she's done 3 x 1.5 hr naps but I think it was a catch-up thing after coming back from holiday.  The pattern most days now is 2 x 35 min naps followed by a 1.5 hr nap sometimes by herself, sometimes I've shushpatted her back to sleep.  She usually wakes happy from the first 2 naps so shushing her back to sleep is futile.  But if she wakes at the 45 min mark on the 3rd nap she's crying and I can see she really needs more sleep. 

Today I kept her up till 9am and she still did a 35 min nap.  So I'll persevere with that (stick at 9am for 3 days before going later) and also get her to bed earlier, say in bed by 7pm.
I found this post really useful on sleep deprivation.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=53450.0

She used to seem fine on 4x 45 min naps but I can really see the difference when she's overtired and needs to go to bed earlier. 

In the meantime I'll DF at 10pm to try to beat her waking up. Last night she woke at 10.