Author Topic: Should I implement E.A.S.Y. as travelling alot in next month?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline balibaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I implement E.A.S.Y. as travelling alot in next month?
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:32:40 am »
Hi I have a 5 week old and sort have the E.A.S.Y. program implemented but not really as have had a struggle with brestfeeding at first finally getting her to feed without use of a brestshield now but still some latch on issues.  She is also a bit colicky as cries quite a bit in the evenings so cannot get her settled until about 10pm at the earliest most nights.  Anyway I am in America at the moment as came home to have my baby but live in Indonesia normally.  I am going to England to see my family in two weeks for the holidays and then leave in january for Indonesia.  So my question is as I am going to be in different time zones and many different houses over the next month should I wait to start the E.A.S.Y. program fully until am in Bali or start it now and if so does anyone have advice for dealing with jetlag in a baby. 

Alex

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: Should I implement E.A.S.Y. as travelling alot in next month?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:13:58 am »
hi there.

first of all welcome to BW :) I'm sure you've been doing a great job this far.

can't help you with jet lag as I haven't changed time zones with my dd but I'd suggest you try to stick to your EASY routine as much as you can and as much as it will keep your baby happy. It will surely be a difficult experience for her as she's still so young but you'll see how babies can amazingly adapt to new circumstances.

can you please post your routine? how is she sleeping at night for you?

:)
Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:26:07 am »
Hi!!!

I flew from Australia to Spain when Ds was 6 weeks old.Been he was young,he did have jet lagg,and didn't sleep much in the first 2 days,so if that happens grab what sleep you can.Ds also had trouble with wind so I think that contributed alot to jet lagged too.But once we got over it,Ds went to sleeping the whole night thru.

When Ds was 9.5months old we flew back from Spain to Australia,and jet lagged hit them bad,but they were sick too.

I am personally not doing a routine while I am in Australia but that is cause I don't want to be tied to the house while I am here as only here for a short time.

The only advice I would give you,is if you want to stick to EASY try not to plan it too much,in case it doesn't happen,which is what happened to me.

Good luck with your flight...

Andrea...

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:28:26 am »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63643.0

have found this for you- it's about international plain travel

HTH
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 13:16:00 pm »
Hi! Welcome to BW!

Most babies don't really get into a routine until 6 weeks old, but Tracy recommended starting it from birth for several reasons. Some of them being that it will help you the mommy to get used tp going through the motions of EASY, it will encourage your baby to sleep independently and will keep accidental parenting at bay.

I have traveled with my ds and his routine was all over the polace he still had a routine of E-A-S. That's the most important thing at the moment. The time when those happen will be all over the place, but if you keep sticking to it she won't need you or your breast to fall asleep.

A big misconception of EASY is that it's about watching the clock. It's not. It's establishing a predicatble routine for your baby. Babies have so much going on inside that their outside world needs structure. This way they don't get overtired, overstimulated or dependant on you for sleep. 

So my advice is to stick to EASY to the best of your abilities everyday.  And as soon as you get to England try to make it according to the time zone there and the same when you get to Bali. I'm sure you can do it  ;)

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline balibaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 22:50:44 pm »
Firstly thank you all for your advice so far.  I would have gotten on the computer earlier but was too tired last night and have been struggling all day with my dd to get her down for her naps.  I hadn't really implemented the EASY routine thus far as the first five and a half weeks have been very busy here.  My dh was only here for the first two and a half weeks and in that time my brother, my inlaws and my aunt came to visit, I am staying at my parents house so was a very busy time.  The relatives all left by the end of the third week or so and then I went on a quick trip to visit college friends with my dd.  Anyway needless to say not much of a routine.  Here is sort of what she has been doing though changes daily:
7:30-8:30 wake and eat
awake for about 1 hour or so
sleep maybe 45 minutes then awake to eat every 2hours with awake periods of 30 minutes or more.
She has then been screaming from about 5pm most evenings on and off with feeding at 4, 6, 8, 10 and short catnaps and then gong to sleep around 10:30 she then wakes at 2am, and if lucky 6am though can wake at 4am as well.  Hence the sleeping in some mornings as I am exhausted as BF and am alone at night as dh is back in Indonesia.

I did try to implement the EASy a bit yesterday and was better as she was less cranky in the evening.  So yesterday went like this:
7:30 E 20 min
A
8:30-9:20 S
9:20 E 20min
A
10:50-11:20 S
11:25 E 10min I realise that I probably should have just settled her as she went right back to Sleep after this feed
11:40-13:00 S
A and fussy as wanted to eat by I tried to make her wait
13:35 E 20 min
A
15:00-15:45 S
16:00 E 30min
A
17:40 attmept to sleep as yawning but no luck
18:00 E 15min, bath
A
19:10-19:50 S
19:50 E 15min
A and fussy hard to settle
21:10 S finally
Attempted dreamfeed but there was no waking her
2am E 15min she was awake babbling for a bit after this and then a short cry and was comforted and put back to sleep
5:30 E 15min was awake on and off after this hard to settle ended up bringing her into my bed to sleep in the end

Then today after all that we are a little off track I think
8:30 wake and E 20 min
A
was yawning at 9:40 but when tried to get her to sleep she would sleep for 5 or 10 minutes and wake up until 11am she slept until 12:15 at that point as I woke her as didn't want to get her too off track
12:15 E 25min
A
13:30-14:45 S though again hard to settle and stay asleep at first
14:45 E 20 min
A
Have been trying to settle her now since 16:40 and is 17:50 she keeps waking up after short spurts.  I have been watching her and she just pops her eyes open and is content for a few minutes and then starts crying.  I do swaddle her but since birth she has hated having her hands constricted as always putting them to her mouth.  She never seems to startle that I have observed.
I have a couple questions I have been picking her up every time she gets really upset doing the sush pat thing and then putting her down after she calms down multiple times.  I have tried to pat her in the bed and not pick her up at times but how do you pat her back when she is supposed to be on her back to sleep.  Okay thanks again for everyones help and advice.

Alex