Author Topic: EASY and six week old shush pat  (Read 1213 times)

Offline babynipper

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY and six week old shush pat
« on: November 28, 2006, 21:00:27 pm »
This is my first post and I have a six week old daughter who is totally breastfeed. She really feeds for more that 15 mins but is putting on weight so been told that she is an efficient eater. My problem is that she will not sleep during the day unless on me. We have been doing the 3 hour routine with the extension in the activity to keep to three hours and having her sleep on me (sleeps for the hour).  I swadle her and have tried the sush pat but got no where with her as I was confused as to what to do if she has not slept within the hour and half slot. Please can I have some advice on her sleeping and sush pat method as I would like to get my chest back.

Tracey

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: EASY and six week old shush pat
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 21:04:13 pm »
hey! and welcome to the boards! you are right in wantign to break this habit, could u post a routine for us to take a look at ? teaching independent sleep is challenging but stick with it as its very beneficial! sshpat is a very appropriate method or this age btw, when u say it doesnt work, what happens when u try it?

Offline babynipper

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 21:16:17 pm »
We wake at 7 and feed for 15 mins and then have activity for one hour or until I seea yawn then take upstairs to darken room and hold her vertical until I feel her eyes are closed and then I put her in her cot. She then seems to have eyes wide open ( and this will be the case even if held for 10 mins).Try Sush pat and shej ust seems to fight it and never closes her eyes - how many times should I pick up if she cry's andhow long should I keep doing. I usually give in after one hour and then repeat with feed and activity and then sleep. Sometimes she needs another feed before the sleep as she can not last more than one hour if she has not slept. She then repeats the bad sleep pattern. I tend to though be able to get her down about 7pm and have a wake at 12,3 and 5.

Offline hoosiermama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Moms of little boys work from son up to son down.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 22:28:11 pm »
Hello there.  I am no expert, but I think that you are supposed to put her down swaddled and on her side so you can get at her back, then pat her back and shhh in her ear until she is asleep, then stop shhing and only pat until she is past the jolt.  If she starts crying then shh again.  If she is really frantic pick her up and start again.  It takes some time.  If she hasn't slept after 40 min, then hold her until "naptime" is over, feed her then a short (10 min) activity time (change diaper). Then start again trying to get her to sleep.  Good luck!

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:39:52 am »
hi

first of all- you're doing a good job trying to observe your LO's sleepy cues and putting her to sleep in her own crib with the help of shh/pat.

have you checked the 'guide' to pat/shh for babies under 3 months? here's the link:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=26672.0
althou hoosiermama has explained it really good too.

I'd suggest you swaddle her for every nap and maybe try taking her to her room a bit earlier, after 1 hour from when she wakes, then do some wind down and put her down when you notice the first yawn.

please keep us posted how today goes for you.
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:29:36 am »
great advice so far! how r u getting on?

Offline babynipper

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 10:59:28 am »
Thanks all fofr the advice.

The first day she would fight at each sleep for the whole 40mins and was then totally exhasted by the evening as the only sleep was broken on my shoulder. However she slept well that night.Yesterday she was so tired she would fall asleep  onher own accord but was after some activity. So today she is not as tired so will keep up the shush pat but also the routine and she seems to know more that she is to have a sleep as she shows signs of tirdness.

will post how we