Author Topic: THE TEST RESULTS ARE IN - Am I doing the righ thing?  (Read 13369 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: THE TEST RESULTS ARE IN - Am I doing the righ thing?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 16:26:03 pm »
Great to hear with the rice milk - just make sure stick with the rice milk and NO dairy or soy (you have to read labels really closely) for at least 2 weeks - it can take that long (or longer) for all the milk and soy proteins to get out of his system. I'd also recommend speaking with the manager at the Natural Foods store - they often are really knowledgeable and may have good recommendations about which rice milk and which proteins/fats to use. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 17:45:53 pm »
I didn't add any proteins to either girl's drinks as they were getting plenty from other sources, including dark meat chicken (which also has more fat than white meat) and some beans too (they make good finger food and if you get them canned and rinse them really well they're easy to prepare, set some aside for LO and put the rest in with other foods).

I also wanted to add that at least at Whole Foods they have pamphlets you can pick up right in the store about this-free and that-free diets to help guide shoppers with special food needs; your health food store manager or staff mgiht have them or be able to help you directly.

Also - milk and soy products go by lots of names, like casein is a milk protein, and soy lecithin might be an issue depending on the degree of sensitivity. If you do a Web search for milk allergy and soy allergy, you can find lists of ingredients that can contain hidden soy and milk. That's how I found out that maltodextrin, a filler in some products like vitamn and other supplements, is actually a corn product (so Josie has to avoid it).

Keep us posted - you are NOT a bad mom, you have a confusing situation and medical advice which is giving you NO direction AT ALL. I would seriously consider finding someone who will be more definitive with you. Your little guy needs help, not a wishy-washy doctor.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}},

binxyboo

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 20:33:53 pm »
Riley and I wish you and Zach the very best.

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2006, 05:59:51 am »
Wendy -- I'm trying to keep track of the posts, but don't think I'm succeeding. How's it going with Zach? Is he taking to the rice milk? Any change in his diapers? Temperament? Thinking of you two!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 00:54:23 am »
Well so far so good with Zach taking the Rice Milk.  I mix rice milk, cocunut milk (for the fat), rice protein and strawberry nesquick to make his milk.  He has been drinking it right up.

Someone told me though, that Rice Protein is not a "Complete" protein.  You still  have to add other protein sources (meat, eggs, beans).  Zach will not eat any of that (maybe some eggs, but we have a very hard time with most meats).  He will eat hotdogs and turkey lunch meat (but I'm not sure if it is enough to count). 

Anyhow, so tonight I bought some ready made Alimentum formula (that he used to be on) and mixed cocunut milk and strawberry syrup in it and he drank it :-0

So now I am wondering if he should jsut drink the formula and not worry with the rice milk right now until he starts to eat better.

Either way, I know he will atleast take the rice milk now :-)

Also YEAH.... NORMAL POOP!!!  It is amazing.  2 normal poo's today.  No mucus, not runny, no huge blow outs, just normal!

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 01:02:18 am »
Glad to hear he is doing better.

But you know the formula is not dairy free, so if you are doing a dairy-free diet, I don't see how that will help.

Will post more later, off to make dinner for my own lo!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 01:16:07 am »
I agree with Michelle, Alimentum is not dairy free - simply that the milk proteins are broken down/predigested. You're better off with the rice milk and TBH, I'd skip the rice protein. Especially if he will eat eggs, hot dog and turkey lunch meat. That sounds like a good amount of protein and keep in mind that their protein requirements are not high at this age. I'd try just mixing the rice milk and coconut milk and leave out the Nesquik and rice protein. How is he feeling?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

binxyboo

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 01:28:47 am »
Here is what Riley usually eats:

All fruits and vegetables, pureed or finger food, dried fruit
Cereals, crackers (usually wheat thins)
Meat like chicken, turkey
Quorn
Tofu
Yoghurt
Rice
Pasta

That's about all I can think of. But while the list in itself does not sound great like that, think of all the combos. Tonight he had squash, sweet potato, green beans and tofu for dinner. Yesterday he had a great soup made from the dinner we had in the crock pot. I am thinking that I like his food to be as close to the natural state as possible, so while he gets crackers and even will eat some French Fries off our plates when we are out, for the whole, I want him to eat healthy food like we eat.

I think definitely at least during the elimination diet, I would keep it simple. Offer the Rice Milk as his beverage, give him fruits, veggies, things that are good for his body, staying clear of the processed food. KWIM?

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 01:36:16 am »
Yeah I was wondering about the formula, because it is not dairy free, but he handled it good as a baby.

I am going to research what the actually requirements are for protein at his age. 

Karen:  You asked how he was feeling.  His cough is so much better and he seems to be feeling very good.  He is playing more and talking so much.  He looks better too.  I am sure we will see so much improvement in the next week or so, once all the milk and soy is GONE....

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 01:38:48 am »
He might handle it fine, but he idea of the elimination diet is to take it all out, and then you can start reintroducing after a few weeks if you want to experiement eg Riley can tolerate yoghurt but not milk.

binxyboo

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 03:06:51 am »
Stacy, can you go and copy that out anyway. As well as that link to Dr Sears that you posted somewhere a while ago.Thank you!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 03:42:43 am »
Thanks Stacy, I will go over to the toddler forums.

Wendy -

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 21:59:20 pm »
Please double-check the ingredients in the Nesquick - it wouldn't surprise me to find dairy AND soy both hidden in there. :( Also, that stuff tends to be loaded with sweeteners, refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup. If he's got an imbalance in the intestinal flora, the sugars will feed the yeast and make it that much harder to restore the balance.

This diet stuff can be hard, I know!  :-\ BUT I figured better to put out a quick note than have anyone find out later the hard way, KWIM? :)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 01:17:14 am »
Thanks Deb.  I have double checked the ingredients and checked it with the list that I have printed of what to avoid.  I did not see any thing in it that he could not have.

BUT, you are right about the sugar.  I will see if he will drink it without the strawberry nesquick. 

I told the dietcian this and she said it was fine because of the extra calories, but then again she is the one who told me that we did not need to avoid all dairy and soy, just the milk.

Of course I did not take her advice on that end. 

BTW:  Zach is MUCH better.  He did poop this morning before he woke, but it was actually normal.

And he had a rash that spread all over his "privates"  and HATED taking his bath.  Well now the rash is gone and he did not want to get out of the bath tonight :)

He has been in such a wonderful mood too....  He seems SO HAPPY!!!!

Does anyone know how much protein he actually needs?  Today he ate about 1/2 hotdog (for meat/protein).  That is all. Does that sound like enough?
Wendy -

binxyboo

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 01:26:04 am »
Glad he seems better. The advice you get from Zachs healthcare providers sounds dubious at best..

Stacy posted all the daily requirements yesterday in that other thread. You will also find portion size info in the stickies on top of the Eating for Toddlers forum.

What kind of foods do you offer Zach on a daily basis?