Author Topic: how do I get DS to give up his evening bottle...?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
how do I get DS to give up his evening bottle...?
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:58:44 am »
My ds has a bottle of milk every evening, before going to bed (he doesnt take it to bed with him). He's 20 months now, so wanted to try to wean him off his only bottle of the day, so the last few nights we've given him a sippy cup with milk in, but he wont take it, and gets upset.

Is there any easy way to get him to have his milk from a cup, or should we just keep giving him his bottle until he understands things a bit better?!  ;)

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Re: how do I get DS to give up his evening bottle...?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 13:07:46 pm »
I'd be interested to read what others have to say. DS still has two bottles at bedtime, always has had, although I am trying not to have the bottles as the last step of the bedtime routine. I guess we ought to change the bedtime routine and replace the bottles with something else but I can see my DS protesting loudly at that  :-\

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 13:27:28 pm »
charliebunny, how old is your DS?
Mine is just SO happy having a bottle, I cant think of an obvious way to get him to give it up. Or is it REALLY that important to give it up just yet? He has a sippy cup with water all day, but doesnt like his milk from it. Obviously a comfort thing.

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 21:42:13 pm »
I did read in one of the Tracy's books, that you can make a small cut into the teat of the bottle, so that the milk flow increases, then a few days later make another cut, until after a while you have made four incisions which end up in the shape of a cross. She said that they lose interest then. I tried using soft beaker teats which fit onto bottles (from mothercare). Eventually I think it was just gradual persistence of offering a beaker which did it for us.
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 21:47:10 pm »
DS has just turned 2. For me, it's a sleep issue. DS doesn't always sleep through the night and I think that sometimes his falling asleep on the bottle or in my arms after a bottle contributes to him needing me at night. So it's either dropping the bottle or moving the bottle earlier in the bedtime routine so that he goes in his cot awake. I'm giving this a try at the moment as I can't face getting him to give the bottles up just yet. He does need that time to unwind fully before bedtime.

If babies take their bottles in bed with them (and you said yours doesn't), then there is a risk of the milk pooling into their mouths and causing cavities

If neither of these points apply to your  DS, I'd personally have a more relaxed attitude to dropping the bottle but others may disagree.