Author Topic: Getting them to eat five a day  (Read 1275 times)

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
Getting them to eat five a day
« on: November 30, 2006, 20:10:53 pm »
So I think i have reasonably unfussy kids. Reasonably. However, my oldest (2.9) won't eat fruit at all - not even in the form of cake like apple crumble. And my youngest (14 months) who has always been a brilliant eater has suddenly got more picky.

It occurred to me that despite me trying to be a good mum and making wholesome homecooked meals, they are not getting their five fruit and veg a day. To be honest, I don't always either.

So today I decided to create a five-a-day chart which I decorated with pictures of vegetables (which is a useful educational tool too!). Everytime my kids eat a portion (or a part thereof) of fruit/veg, they get a sticker. If at the end of the day they have 5 stickers, they may have one chocolate button. Now i know many people will say that this is causing food issues, rewarding with something sweet in a bid to get them to eat veg, but I needed a plan and this was it.

mostly I wanted to really see how much fruit and veg they were getting in a day, because I often feel like they've had a lot because I've served it to them, but they haven't necessarily eaten it and I dont monitor closely how much they're having.

So the day started off poorly. I put in effort with lunch - sausages, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, gravy made of onion and cannelini beans, peas, corn and sugar snap peas. They ate the sausages.

By mid afternoon the younger one had 3 stickers. The older one had 1. So i pointed out their lack of stars and immediately the older one starts asking for 'fruit and vegebubbles'. So he ate a banana. Yes folks, he actually ate a banana. Fruit.

I then gave them leek and potato soup for supper. Little one ate it and by this time had his five stickers. Older one refused. he then saw his little brother get a chocolate button. He said he wanted one. i said not until he had 5 stickers - and he was two short. So i said he could either eat his soup or have a portion of carrots and a portion of broccoli. He chose the latter. And ate it all.  he then got his chocolate button.

Now maybe this is a bad way of getting them to eat fruit and veg - but good grief it drove home the message. It also made me so much more vigilant about how much they were having. And when I was getting my older one undressed for his bath, he stretched up and said: I'm growing tall because I had my fruit and vegebubbles.

Not sure how long it will last but it's working for now so thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same problem.
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Getting them to eat five a day
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 20:16:11 pm »
Brilliant idea!   Thanks for sharing.  :)
Lauren x

Offline Izzy-B's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 31
    • http://www.thinline.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 13:10:39 pm »
what a fun idea! 

hmmm.. maybe this will eat to get dd to start eating breakfast again  ::) ??? ::)

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 13:28:05 pm »
oooh!!! I love it.  Might have to try it with my eldest.  Thanks!!!
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 13:28:41 pm »
V-8 Fusion juice.  Full serving of fruit and veggies in each glass.  Charlotte loves them.  Might work for the older ones.   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 22:34:53 pm »
I really like this idea!  I'm not opposed to a small treat to reward positive behavior.  And you are giving your kiddos choices about how they will eat their "5 a day", not inisisting they eat what is put in front of them, so I think it's brilliant, and not apt to cause food issues-- it's more of an education in healthy eating.  Well done!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:25:16 am »
"vegebubbles"!! how cute  ;D

Offline J&Jsmom

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 18:55:25 pm »
Just wanted to update on this. I've stuck with it. And they don't get their five a day everyday, even though I try my hardest. I have bought a much broader variety of fruit and veg and now they have between 5 and 8 different types of fruit/veg a day but not always enough to count as a portion. But my eldest is continuing to ask for fruit and vegebubbles as snacks and he watches the chart very closely to see how he's getting on. He's suddenly far more aware of why fruit and veg are important. I think up till now I'd never really explained why I wanted him to eat it, but now I've been explaining (very basically) that they make you grow up healthy and not sick and that if you eat too much junk you get unhealthy.

He now sees Sportacus on Lazy Town eating his veg and the minute he does, he asks for some too.

Am seriously well chuffed that this is working so well. And it's made me aware of how often I don't have my own 5 a day so it's made me eat more fruit and veg too.
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005