Author Topic: Moving around too much in cot and waking.  (Read 2284 times)

Offline vicki3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Australia - Northern NSW.
Moving around too much in cot and waking.
« on: November 30, 2006, 22:57:20 pm »
Hi my DD is 8mths old and beside going through a growth spurt and teething she is continuously waking herself in the cot at night now because of being able to move herself around and ending upside down, side ways, etc.(before that she slept 11 1/2hrs a night - from 7.30 till 7am -yes lucky me). She is an Angel baby and always done everything to the tee with the EASY routine which she has been on from birth. She has been doing this for a couple of weeks now and we could be up 4 to 5 times a night and placing her in her proper position again so that she isn't disorientated and goes back to sleep. I worry if i don't do this she tends to be on her belly and she doesn't turn her head to the side and just face plants into the matress. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
my DS 7yrs old,

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Moving around too much in cot and waking.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 23:06:07 pm »
Unfortunately mobility comes with a price - usually night wakings.  :(  To some degree the phase must be waited out, but you can help it along. Make sure that she gets tons of time to practice moving around during the day, all the time she wants. If it's really necessary you can also roll up towels or something else cotton (so it's breathable) to place on either side of her, to try and keep her from moving around too much. That doesn't always work for people but it might be worth a try if things get really out of control. Just make sure that it's not something she can get stuck in or otherwise is a hazard.

My DS used to sleep sitting up, once he could do that  ::)  It was really something. But then he would wake up and freak out because he didn't understand how he got there or how to lay back down.  ;D
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline vicki3

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 23:14:54 pm »
thanks colin mac's mum. I have always used a side roll with her due to her developing placiocephly in the younger months which i have now corrected as i picked it up at 6wks old. Unfortunately it is the same method as the towels and she is able to get over them and just push it around the cot as you said i probably will just have to do the time as she also get a lot of play time thru the day, I have a jolly jumper for a xmas present but i am going to give this to her today i think so that she can exert more energy. thanks for your reply.
my DS 7yrs old,

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 23:17:24 pm »
I'm sorry, I know how rough it is! But with that developmental stuff there's not too much you can do until LO masters the skill, so do your best to encourage that! But feel free to vent anytime!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline vicki3

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 23:25:35 pm »
thank for your quick replies i will just sit back and do my time now.
my DS 7yrs old,

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 00:22:32 am »
One thing I did was start putting my DS down for naps with his head at one end sometimes, and his head at the other end other times so he got used to being in different positions in the crib and therefore not get freaked out if he woke up in a different position.

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 06:15:31 am »
I did the same as the PP. It really seemed to help my DD. Also do you have a night light in her room? If not get one, if there is a little more light maybe she wont be as afread.
Kimberly