Author Topic: Milk intolerence?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Milk intolerence?
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:06:08 am »
Owen (10m2w) has had reflux since birth - after 4 meds we found one 2m ago that has worked awesome.  Owen has been on Alimentum since 6w.  I gave him yogurt, cheese when he was 7m.  He didn't show any symptoms of not handling it except for his poo were NASTY.  I stopped giving the whole milk yogurt and cut waaaay back on the cheeses and started using Soy yogurt - the nasty ass poops stopped.  After about 6 weeks, yesterday I trialed whole milk yogurt again and again we got NASTY poops but no signs of tummy ache or gas.

With 12m approaching, I am thinking he isn't going to be able to handle milk.  We have never tried lactose free products.  I don't know if its the lactose of the milk protein causing the poops.  Is it OK to continue with the Alimentum into his toddlerhood?  Our GI wants to start weaning the Zegerid at 12m - I haven't asked about the Alimentum, but I'm thinking perhaps we should keep the Alimentum until after that wean is done?  I am not sure I am even making sense here.  I just know I do NOT want him to go back to having pain and discomfort from reflux. 

Ack!

Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Milk intolerence?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 11:56:09 am »
Hey chica! Hope you and Owen are doing well.

If it were me, I would NOT change both the Alimentum and Zegerid at once but rather do a slow weaning of both separately. It's likely not the lactose but the actual milk proteins (which are broken down/pre-digested in the Alimentum, making them easier to tolerate). He may well grow out of this but it might take longer than a year. Some doctors believe that gut maturity starts happening at 11 months - so that may help. Also, do you have him on a dairy free probiotic? Helped a TON with both Marisa's reflux and food intolerances - helped her digestive system mature.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 20:09:22 pm »
hiya Zoey! Long time no chat hey?! Just wanted to butt in and say that this sound soo simialr to Thomas. My ped explained afew things, firstly the bad poops are an almost def sign of lactose intollerance as well as some ezcma outburst and other stuff. Secondly that babies who are l.i. can often handle some dairy but not a lot: with T i tried a few cheeses and yoghurts and he was fine, kept adding more then he had all sorts of probs. She also said that it was 'within the norm' for babies to be l.i. until the age of 2 after which it may be considered an allergy.
She suggested that we hold off on the dairy ALTOGETHER and keep trying to reintroduce every 3 months till he is ready, but cut back totally if u see a reaction. Apparently its very common for refluxers to have l.i. issues too.

HTH and :-*

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:23:11 am »
Thanks for that Yaya.  We have l.i. here.  Seems several of hubby's extended family have/had it.  Yogurt and cheese are fine, lactose free milk.  Glad to here that this might soon be over. 
Z, what about soy or rice milk?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 01:45:00 am »
I am a momo and never thought of those two things Jenn.  Its hard for me to see the forrest through the tree when they are in MY backyard.

Karen - what brand of Pro-biotic do you use.  I have a compounding pharm that makes all sorts of stuff, is this something they can make ya think?

Thanks YAYA!  Ill remove all cheese (which sucks cause he LOVES grilled cheese) and see how his poo gets.

Yall are so great, love you

Zoey

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 02:09:58 am »
Soy cheese?  For the grilled cheese?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 02:59:26 am »
Really?  Ill have to look, at my store I asked for tufu, 5 people didn't even know what it was  ::)

:-* :-*