Author Topic: encouraging independent play???  (Read 1434 times)

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
encouraging independent play???
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:22:21 am »
Ok, so Tracy says in her third book that btwn the ages of 9-12months, lo should be able to play independently for 45min. :o
Noah is 10months and I am happy if I get 10min. he will play for a few min and then crawl to me and either pull at my pants or head butt me, and then start crying. any suggestions?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
Re: encouraging independent play???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:56:20 am »
Well

I think you could try a few things.

I often leave Zara to play, but return adn talk to her very frequently. So before he comes after you, try returning to him for a few moments, ask him what he is doing, then move away again.  That way you might be able to break the habit of crawling to you and crying.  I also get her to play near me  (so we can talk to each other LOL) - eg, I fold washing while she plays on the floor in front of me.  Or she "helps" me.

Also, Zara will play alone outside better than anywhere, have you tried this?  I water the garden, she plays on the ground.  Our pets are also very good amusement for her.

I don't know what else to suggest, someone else may be able to help more.

Good luck
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 12:03:17 pm »
Emptying a cupboard if you have the space, and filling it with things that your LO might like, not necessarily toys, wooden spoons, plastic bowls etc.  I try to change the contents every now and again.

Put cusions and blankets on the floor with some soft toys, they can climb on them, hide under them, put toys to bed.

Mine love the ball things, you can get hammer toys and a discovery tree and they seem to play for longer with this than anything else.

If I think of more I will post, I do have a book with activities for babies, I will hook it out and post some ideas later if they are any good.

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 21:01:54 pm »
If you have a pack n' play set it up near you while you are cleaning the kitchen or whatnot. During the week move it further and further away from where you are so that eventually your LO will be able to play on his own. And try to do it the same time during the day, like just before bedtime or after lunch. Eventually he'll learn that he can play on his own and do just fine.

I like the emptying the cupboard idea too. My SIL did that with her daughter.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 21:55:30 pm »
The article that I have is geared up to older toddlers but it does suggest:

Putting a large piece of paper on the floor and giving your child large pieces of chalk to make marks (supervision required as they will try to eat it!!!)
a bag full of surprises (fill it with anything you like and let them explore)
anything that they can make a noise with ie, wooden spoon and saucepan (not with the evening meal in though I presume!)
Cushions on the floor will keep mine busy for ages, but they love to play with them together.

I have looked at Tracy's first book, Secrets of the Babywhisperer and this is how her paragraph about it goes:
The best playthings are toys that encourage her to put things in and take things out.  Of course, she will initially be more proficient at undoing-she'll take everthing out but rarely put anything back.  By 10 months to a year, she'll gain the dexterity to put things together and even to clean up her toys from the floor and put them in the toy box.  She probably will be able to pick up small objects, too, because her fine motor skills are developing, which enables her to master a pincerlike grasp, using her thumb and index finger.  She also likes rolling toys, one that she can pull toward her.  And she might also start to develop an attachment for a particular toy, like a stuffed animal or blanket.

Hope this is helpful. 

When I am busy and my lo's come to my legs and I need them to play so that I can get food on the table etc, I take them back to the toys and sit next to them a little and play, not with them, just next to them so that I am still encouraging them to play with the toys themselves and when they move away from me, I sidle back to what I was doing.  Sometimes they just want company for a bit and when they get back into whatever they were doing they don't need you anymore!!!
Also, don't put too many toys out all at once, one or two things are easier, sometimes we can mesmerise them.

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:03:56 am »
wow, thankyou for all of your replies--lots of great ideas ;)
Noah is over the last few days getting very good at pulling himself up and either kneeling or standing. All he wants to do is stand!I do think that he sees me and wants to crawl up my legs so that I can help him stand.   :)
I have also found that when he is better rested--he plays much better---who would have thought?
anyway--45min of completely independent play seems somehow unrealistic. I am able to play with him for a few minutes and then go back to what I am doing---so that is good.
Thanks again,
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013