Author Topic: 9 month old waking 4-6 times a night!  (Read 708 times)

Offline gabbysmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 03, 2006, 13:57:33 pm »
OK, so here I am with a 9 month old who wakes up all night and I guess she is not going to grow out of it like I thought.  I didn't want to have to deal with the PU/PD, I just thought she would eventually just sleep through.  I don't know if I am naive or just stupid for thinking that!  Anyway, I nurse her everytime.   ::)  I have been doing this partly so my husband and older daughter don't have to hear her cry.  My husband and I have finally decided that enough is enough.  I am exhausted!!!  So, this month I am on vacation for a week and we are going to try to put an end to this.  LO is very stubborn and determined so I know this is going to be a long road.  What is the longest that this can take?  I know it will be harder since she is so old so I am getting some earplugs and getting ready to start!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 9 month old waking 4-6 times a night!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:30:08 am »
Firstly you are niether naive or stupid, many moms fall into that trap.

Secondly I agree you should wait untill you are fully able to commit, but I would also tell you to have your DH do PU/PD NOT you. Reason being that he doesn't have breastmilk. Your LO is used to you nurseing to sleep and that takes time to brake. If you try to do it it'll be a LOT harder since she'll smell your bm and want to nurse and get very upset when she can't. If dad does it then there is no bm to offer.
I even would go so far as to say go stay somewhere else at night (come back for days to feed regularly, and take older DD with you, spend quality time just you and her) so you are not tempted to BF.
If your DH is willing to tackle this in 3-7 days you can have these wakings to 1 or less when done right. We can walk your DH through it if need be.
Remember though this isn't an overnight fix, its a lot of work. However it really works.
Kimberly